Thread: G42 bringback

Default G42 bringback

Hi all,
    A friend of mine at work was telling me about the rifle that his father in law had brought back from WW2 and he was wondering what the value of it would be. I almost crapped myself when I saw these pics, it looks (to me) to be a prototype Mauser G42 with the manual bolt to extract jammed casings; the same model that was rejected in favour of the Walther design, with it's more simplified construction. At any rate, this rifle has seen combat, it has an arsenal repair on the buttstock, but it is all matching, and even has the original sling....overall, it's in excellent condition, apart from the buttstock repair. I told him to take it to a gun dealer I know, but I am wondering what this rifle would be worth at auction...? Any replies would be welcome!

Your give free inventory. Start at $3K
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
    George Carlin

Its a G41 Mauser. They range in price $9-13 grand, specially for a all matching one.

Is it marked G41(M)? You say G42 or is that the marking?

My bad, sorry, it is actually a G41...I talked to my buddy and he said that it is all matching and that it has the G41"M" marking.
    He now has a gun broker trying to sell it for him, so far the best bid he's got is $6800 CAD.....

I just paid 12k for mine. From what I can see it's a really nice looking rifle. Missing sight hood and cleaning rod, no big deal. See if you can get more pics of it.
    Last edited by jwbf; 12-08-2009 at 10:22 PM.

These are some of the most fascinating rifles of the war to me, you guys are lucky! Its funny though, because the amount of G.41(M) rifles in the US has to be a VERY small number, and yet much more "common" weapons such as MP44s sell for thousands more...

The rat-a-tat-tat part helps. I had an mp44 and I miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwbf View Post
    The rat-a-tat-tat part helps. I had an mp44 and I miss it.
    Yeah, probably so. At the moment, I can only dream of owning one, but someday I hope to make it a reality!