Default Kentucky Pistol Load

Was just gifted with a Kentucky pistol kit that's been kicking around a friend's house just this side of forever. Made in Spain, prolly for Traditions, 45 cal. Anyone got a recommended load for this one? Looks like the .451 round ball from my Remington will ram down easy over a wad, but I got no idea as to how much powder.

RaceM,

I have an old CVA .45 Kentucky flintlock pistol its barrel was made in Spain also. I have always used 35 - 40 grains of 3f bp with a patched ball as a good load, sometimes I will use my max load of 50 grains of the same powder.

R,
    Beck

Pic would be nice.

Rule of thumb for a pistol -- always load less powder than the caliber of the gun. .45? 3F, and less than 45 grains. Personally, I'd load half, somewhere up to 25 grains just for fun shooting. This presumes it is even a real BP pistol. You should follow the manufacturers instructions...

Alden
    Last edited by Alden; 12-06-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Hi folks! I got a bp pistol produced by Pedersoli - Italy; it's a long barrel percussion pistol from the Kentucky family, in cal. .45 (look at the pic). On the 25 meters line I got good scores and groups shooting 13.00 grains bp Swiss #2. Anyway the Pedersoli Group wrote not to be over 20.06 grains - I shoot "so much powder" on the 50 meters line.

Default Loads

Thanx, all. I figgered if I loaded her up the same as my Remington it should be safe enough. Unfortunately there ain't much to take a picture of yet as it's still just a pile of parts. First on my list is to take the lock apart and scrub the rust out of it.

Talking Finished it

Turns out the kit was/is a Markwell, with lousy fit and inletting, but I did the best I could with it. Missing a couple bits, so I had to scrounge some hardware and make a new escutcheon for the barrel key on the right side. It shoots, that's all that counts.