Thread: Mauser Mm410B

1. Default Mauser Mm410B

Well, my recent thread about the Stery Zephyr got no responses; let's see if this one will get any.
    I recently acquired a Mauser Mm410B sporter to go along with my other German pre-war 22 sporters. In looking through Speed's book, he notes that there were some of these with low serial numbers and he speculates that they were for export (to Great Britain?). Well, my 410B happens to be one of the low serial number rifles 49XXX; most are in the 200,000+ range.
    Does anyone else have one of these, and is it export marked (mine is not)? Thanks.
    Lance

P.S. Mine was not a closet queen and is showing its age. What's the consensus on trying to do anything to the metal or wood finish on this rifle. I probably already know the answer, since I would advise others against it. I just have this strong urge to see it as it was in its glory.

3. Default

So, now we know of at least four: the two in Speed's book, the one from the other thread here and my rifle. Any others hiding out there?

I dont have my two Mm410's near but at least in one there is a "Made in Germany"stamp, that says it was made for export

I took a look and in the "standard"model the serial number is 243xxx and it is stamped "Made in Germany", the improved version is serail 204XXX and it is not stamped

6. Default

The "Made in Germany" rifle has a very high serial number. I wonder if this was a post-war rifle made up with leftover parts, or in a special serial number range for export?

I also have a Mm410B #219xxx with a matching bolt. But my receiver is of the British serial range #47xxx. It also has the Crown over BNP proof. The receiver is a darker blue. Is it possible someone picked this receiver from the wrong box at the factory? The rifle is in great shape. The word Germany is next to the mauser cartouche on the stock. Would appreciate any words of wisdom!

I doubt the parts were mismatched due to factory error, those products are the highest form of german manufacture and they inspected them thoroughly before sending the items to the commercial channels ,
    think that they lived for 70 yrs and a lot of things can happen in such a long life span

I just picked up a later one in the 217xxx range . Nice little rifles

The RH side of the barrel between the rear sight and stock is stamped "DRP DRGM" I believe .

Is there much difference between the MS420B & MM410B ? Thanks
    Last edited by guy sajer; 04-05-2010 at 06:36 PM.
    mitch

Please support Crimson Trace grips . They support our troops .

Hi - As you all seem to know a lot about the sporting .22 Mausers can you help me please? I have just acquired what I think is a 1930s Mauser .22 ES340B or maybe a MS420. The others I have seen on the Internet are on collectors websites but they have metal sights and are chambered in .22 LR.

My rifle appears to be chambered in Short and not Long Rifle.

I have cleaned the chamber and it is not fouled so it appears to have been made that way. It has a non original Nikko Sterling telescopic sight fitted and it does not appear to have been fitted with metal sights originally. I guess it was screw cut for a moderator in the UK some time ago.

Can anyone help me by telling me more about this rifle? The serial number is 113XXX and the marking on the receiver is MAUSER-WERKE AG OBERNDORF. I hope the 3 photos below will help.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	319131Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	319133Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mauser6.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	319134

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Default Hi, Mmm410B the most nice .22 Maus, except the KKW ;-)

here is a photo of my new looking Mm410b.

It's a very very nice rifle.
    myne is a 'closet' gun. so no wear or excessive shooting.

Holland

I will post some more pics... soon!! if you all like???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2784535_4_4be4168bb265f.jpg  

Mauserkkw, pls post pics of the good scope you have ,very nice mounts also-Great rifle I've had a couple for years and they are the perfection materialized-Below pics of my 410's with the extremely rare Nickel Marburg Piccolo 1.5 x scope and the other with the Zeiss Zielklein=

I am an international Gunboards patron

I have had a Mn 410 for about 20 years, beautiful finish, figured walnut, mauser banner on receiver, stock, buttplate. It is in the low range and has an A. G. Parker import stamp on the barrel top. but no british proofs, only the BUG proofs. The muzzle is factory threaded for a silencer. England does not regulate these and they were common for small game rifles because of the close spaces.I imported it from england many years ago. If you want picts, check the Kull Auction catalogue for their Jan. sale. They will have professional clear picts.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    I have had a Mn 410 for about 20 years, beautiful finish, figured walnut, mauser banner on receiver, stock, buttplate. It is in the low range and has an A. G. Parker import stamp on the barrel top. but no british proofs, only the BUG proofs. The muzzle is factory threaded for a silencer. England does not regulate these and they were common for small game rifles because of the close spaces.I imported it from england many years ago. If you want picts, check the Kull Auction catalogue for their Jan. sale. They will have professional clear picts.
    Sir - I beg to differ. Sound moderators have to be applied for and treated as if they were a separate firearm on ANY British Firearms Certificate. If you have more than one, then you must have more than one entry on your FAC t oauthorise them. It is an offence under the Firearms Act to be in possession of such an item without the proper authority. AFAIK, NO Mauser rifles of the type you have were factory-threaded. If you know differently, then please inform Jon Speed with details.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Quote Originally Posted by Garyd View Post
    Hi - As you all seem to know a lot about the sporting .22 Mausers can you help me please? I have just acquired what I think is a 1930s Mauser .22 ES340B or maybe a MS420. The others I have seen on the Internet are on collectors websites but they have metal sights and are chambered in .22 LR.

I have cleaned the chamber and it is not fouled so it appears to have been made that way. It has a non original Nikko Sterling telescopic sight fitted and it does not appear to have been fitted with metal sights originally. I guess it was screw cut for a moderator in the UK some time ago.

Can anyone help me by telling me more about this rifle? The serial number is 113XXX and the marking on the receiver is MAUSER-WERKE AG OBERNDORF. I hope the 3 photos below will help.

Nice gun.

BTW - ES = Einzelschuss = single shot, and MS = Mehrschuss = multiple shot. Since your gun has a magazine.........

Tac

Nice rifles! The Mauser appears to be an Es340b. That rear receiver sight is a very, very nice accessory.

17. Default

[QUOTE=ozzieshtr;1499737]
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Well, my recent thread about the Stery Zephyr got no responses; let's see if this one will get any.
    ]

-----------------

did'nt see the prev post - what do you need to know about the Tyrol Zephyr ? I have one as well as a Tyrol Mod 5022 and Mauser 22 single shot mini 98 action, plus some other German 22 r/f
    Here's the original post:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...94#post1136794
    As I say, this is an obvious trainer/youth rifle/club gun of some sort, but I've never heard of one in this model.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzieshtr View Post
    and the top one for Mauser fans is a s/shot heavy barrell 22 rf (ES350 ? - I presume these don't actually have a model designation stamped on them ) it has the 4 German proofs and the number 459 adjacent (Sept 45 or April 59 - anyone know?) plus the full Mauserwerke name and address and serial no etc - it has both the tangent rear sight plus an optional q/removeable target aperture - Mauser logo appears on the stock and on the steel buttplate and top of action of course
    The MS350B has checkering at the wrist and on the forend, as well as the underneath of the trigger guard. It also has a complex multi-adjustable and moveable rear sight that slides on a long dovetail machined into the barrel, and has interchangeable foresight elements, protected by as stamped metal hood. Mauser models don't usually have the model type marked on them. Mauser stopped making these expensive to produce guns quite early on in the war, so your gun would not have pre-war proofs on it if it had been made from bits after the war was over, and the French assembled some.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley2; 11-24-2010 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyd View Post

Your rifle is a so-called small-action Ms420 [post 1930], as seen on page 32 of Jon Speed's book. From serial #'s 110xxx to 115xxx [made in 1930] it was built on the improved First series action, with the new design rotating safety and an adjustable trigger.

There is no mention of the rifle being made only for .22 short cartridge. If it were so, then it would be clearly stamped on the left-side of the barrel with the words and numbers .22K or 'nur fur .22Kurz' in accordance with the proof laws of Germany. Your gun should otherwise be stamped .22lfb [lang fur buchsen - long rifle]. Assuming that you live in UK, is your gun stamped 'not english make', with UK proofs and sundry numbers that give the length of the cartridge? All this will be found on either the left-hand or right side of the barrel where it meets the action.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley2; 10-16-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzieshtr View Post
    ----------------------------mine definitely has the pre-war BUG proofing with the number 459 next to the proofsas for the OP 22 r/f short question - easy answer is definitely not factory original unless so marked on the barrell - so if the barrell is marked for 22 LR cartridge then you can be sure that someone has set back the barrell on purpose - maybe for indoor target use by a club using the 22 short ctg exclusively - easy enough to do cut the barrell shorter at the chamber and re-thread it to fit back into the action
    Sir - if the OP lives in England then his rifle would NOT have been used indoors for target purposes - .22 shooting in the UK is simply not done like that and there is no 'target shooting' of any kind that would justify the use of .22 shorts OR a moderator. As I tried to point out - here in UK the moderator is a licensed item, and actually counts as a firearm in many counties all by itself, so such a set-up for 'target-shooting' makes no sense.

What makes more sense is your suggestion that the gun has deliberately been set-back to make it into a .22 short-shooting rifle with a moderator, perhaps for either pest-control in confined spaces, or perhaps for poaching. To tell the truth, here in UK, the latter is far more likely. My father's Walther Model 1 was modified like that before the war so that he could acquire the odd bunny over in Ireland. Here in UK such a calibre modification would STILL need the gun to be re-proofed, though. I'm still waiting to see the proof marks and stamps.

tac

Default Mauser 22

You have any interest in selling the removable Diopter sight on your Mauser 22? Please advise. Thanks, Sam

have now uploaded a pic - the Zephyr is the bottom rifle and is the mucho luxo line with superior quality wood and excellent bluing and metalwork finish- the Mod 5022 - middle of pic - is the cheaper 'boys' rifle from Tyrol

and the top one for Mauser fans is a s/shot heavy barrell 22 rf (ES350 ? - I presume these don't actually have a model designation stamped on them ) it has the 4 German proofs and the number 459 adjacent (Sept 45 or April 59 - anyone know?) plus the full Mauserwerke name and address and serial no etc - it has both the tangent rear sight plus an optional q/removeable target aperture - Mauser logo appears on the stock and on the steel buttplate and top of action of course[/QUOTE]