Default shoot 12 ga from a flare gun?

I remember reading here over a year ago that people were trying or thinking about trying to shoot a 12 ga shell in a flare gun. Does anyone recall the results? Would a 12 ga shell fit a 26 or 26.5mm flare gun barrel? Should this be attempted or run away!!!? Does a "sleeve" or insert need to be made?

you're not serious, are you?
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Quote Originally Posted by falm16 View Post
    you're not serious, are you?
    Questions never hurt--that's why I ask first. I don't even own one but a good deal (that I haven't pursued) opened up. I vaguely recall this being discussed so I had to ask.

Anyone else?

I think some outfit was making shells for the flare guns. One of those survivor type items for snakes and what not...

Last edited by LewR; 12-11-2009 at 11:35 PM.

You can also buy 12ga. single shot flare pistols and 12ga. flares at just about any boating supply store
    I Swear On My Life, And My Love Of It, That I Will Never Live For The Sake Of Another Man, Nor Ask Another Man To Live For Mine. - John Galt

Quote Originally Posted by MP517PRCT View Post
    You can also buy 12ga. single shot flare pistols and 12ga. flares at just about any boating supply store

i was under the impression on those they designed it so it couldn't shoot standard 12 guage shells.

Quote Originally Posted by bch7773 View Post
    i was under the impression on those they designed it so it couldn't shoot standard 12 guage shells.
    I was to understand the same

if your intent was to determine if a flare gun could be used with defensive ammo check out this thread from the survival preparedness forum.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...551#post684551
    it includes mention of a product called the pirates plague adapter.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

The issue is that the Feds frown upon un taxed short barrelled shotguns and they don't like smooth bore shotgun pistols at all (The Taurus Judge has a rifled barrel). Being caught with a flare gun and a sleeve capable of firing a shotshell leads to the famiiar 10 years and or $10,000 fine.

Due to the flood of 26.5mm flare guns, several outfits have had 26.5 mm flares available in several types. The Czechs used them up to the fall of the iron curtin as did the some East German secondary units. Adapters are made to accept the smaller U.S. standard boating 12 ga. flares. Re-enacting units like these. And yes it is highly illegal to use a standard 12 ga. round in a flare gun adapter, if the breech and lock would even take the pressure. Back in the mid 1960's I saw the result of a standard U.S. flare gun of WWII vintage fired with a 12 ga. 2.75 inch bird shot load by means of a long... hydraulic trigger release. The aluminum barrel split and the breech had sprung. Using a standard 12 ga. shell in an adapter for even a larger flare gun is not the best idea to try for several reasons.

Engineer 179

Just to beat on the semantics, I believe it becomes an AOW (smooth-bore pistol) and not a SBS as it never had a buttstock.

The adapters available from Sportsman's Guide are intentionally made short-chambered so that only the dinky Olin 12 flares will fit.

Legal implications aside, yes it can be done.
    A guy I know bought a WWI British brass flaregun and had a 12ga insert made for it.
    It worked. But maybe it will not work the 10th or the 11th time ...
    BRGDS, A
    I'd rather have a bottle in frontame than a frontal lobotomy.
    --------------
    Author of the bestseller: "Strangling small furry animals for fun and profit." (University of Lagos/Nigeria press - 1978)

Honorary curator to the Outer-Azerbeidjan National Museum of Ancient Milkbottle Caps (OANMAMC).

Default A Question Too Far?

I only happened upon this topic. I am neither an expert with something of that nature to contribute, nor do I have any compelling interest in the subject matter.
    I do have two impressions that I would like to contribute. First, as aptly noted, is the legality issue which is should be a preclusive consideration. This sort of 'theoretical conjecture' leads directly to the preemptive legislation seen so often nowadays in regard to what someone might do in an extreme circumstance. Second, in execution, this is the sort of unwise behavior that causes the personal injury liability quagmire notable in American jurisprudence. If someone can find a way to misuse a product, they will do so. In much of the world, the liability for such behavior rests solely on the user. Here, multimillion dollar liability verdicts reward such behavior and force manufacturers of legitimate products from the market. Domestic firearms manufacturers were for a time a threatened species in regard of liability for product misuse and we should not assume the issue is at an end.
    I am not necessarily directing this critique at CandRNut or other responsible members, but such subject matter as this seems prime fodder to provoke unwise behavior by irresponsible readers.
    My take.

I remember reading an article in Soldier of Fortune back in the mid-90's about the Komajors fighting in Sierra Leone. Several members of the group carried sleeved flare pistols as weapons. Not something I would do if there was ANY other choice, but these men were fighting for their survival against both the RUF and the government troops. A few had AK-47's, but many were fighting with spears and machetes.

The fighters above were using the recommended ammo, I'm sure -- Flares.

Which brings me to my point. One of the most basic rules for retaining fingers, eyesight, hearing, and such is printed on the ammo box.

"Use only ammunition which is specifically recommended for your firearm"

Common sense dictates that one should NOT shoot 12 ga. hunting shells in a flare gun.

What I'm wondering is if the OP meant using a 12 ga. adaptor in a 26.5mm gun to allow it to shoot 12 ga flares?

Default Don't do it

Flares use a small charge of black powder to launch their projectiles resulting in considerably lower chamber pressures than even the lightest birdshot loads in standard 12 gauge. This is why flare guns can have brass or aluminum barrels. Additionally, flare gun frames aren't all that beefy so a standard 12 will beat them up fairly quick.

Don't do it.

RaceM
    USCG(veteran)

Quote Originally Posted by crowcreek View Post
    The fighters above were using the recommended ammo, I'm sure -- Flares.

"Use only ammunition which is specifically recommended for your firearm"

I think they were using live 12 gauge ammunition, not flares. Like I said, they were in the jungle in Sierra Leone fighting for their survival against both rebels AND government soldiers. Many Komajors were fighting with spears and machetes, resupplying their few AK's from the dead. A 12 gauge hand-cannon would have possibly gotten a Komajor a rifle if he survived the battle...

I have seen several break action 12 ga pistols in my life, all single shot with a 12 or so inch bbl. When I first saw one I thought it was a flare pistol. I just dont see how any flare pistol could stand the pressure of a full on 12ga shell.

Quote Originally Posted by RaceM View Post
    Flares use a small charge of black powder to launch their projectiles resulting in considerably lower chamber pressures than even the lightest birdshot loads in standard 12 gauge. This is why flare guns can have brass or aluminum barrels. Additionally, flare gun frames aren't all that beefy so a standard 12 will beat them up fairly quick.

Don't do it.

RaceM
    USCG(veteran)
    There was a Czechoslovak flare gun sold by Tennessee Guns about 10 years ago which was made mainly of heavy gauge pressed steel. But I think the metal is too soft (and the chamber area too thin) to safely fire a shotgun shell. Also the lockup is wobbly, obviously much weaker than in a break-open shotgun.

I wouldn't try it either.

No!!!

i recieved this from the person that did it - and lived.....

Clyde is online now Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    No!!!

i recieved this from the person that did it - and lived.....
    But did he still have all his fingers?
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

Wonder how effective an actual flare would be at 50 yds for self defense. Do flares usually shoot to point of aim, or at least could similar loads be expected to shoot fairly close to one another? Die from a bullet, or die from burning phosphorus, seems dead either way.

Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    Wonder how effective an actual flare would be at 50 yds for self defense. Do flares usually shoot to point of aim, or at least could similar loads be expected to shoot fairly close to one another? Die from a bullet, or die from burning phosphorus, seems dead either way.
    I saw something on TV years ago (probably from the early 60s). A mutineer on a liferaft was shot with a flare gun. I can't seem to remember the name of the show, maybe it was Alfred Hitchcock Presents. It was definitely not the WW II period Hitchcock movie. The burning flare stuck out of the guy's chest.

Didn't they (whoever "they" are) used to make a 12 gauge flare that was intended for use in a shotgun?

Default Lethality

Quote Originally Posted by pappa View Post
    Well, the flares I've blown off for training weren't that impressive ballistic-wise. The projectile is usually an aluminum or plastic shell filled with pyro, so there's not much mass there. Coupled with the slow velocity, which bleeds off quickly with distance from the muzzle, trajectory ends up being a curve when fired near the horizontal.

At a guess I'd say lethal (potentially) with a head shot at under 100' depending on the flare. Torso shots.... doubt you'd get more than a bruise, less if hitting thick clothing. Prolly not any real issue with civilian-use flares, like the exploded OLIN pictured above. They're loaded as close to minimum charge as possible to limit damage and lawsuits by stupid folk.

BTW- I don't like those stupid Olin plastic flare guns for launching FLARES, let alone putting a real 12 gauge in it. :eek: That boy was just plain lucky it blew out, and not down, or his new name'd be STUMPY.