Default Spanish Mauser strength

I am looking to build a custom sporterized Mauser for myself. I plan to chamber it in 30.06. My question here is that I have found a drilled and tapped Spanish Mauser. I have also heard some stories that the Spanish Mauser receivers were notoriously weak, or at the very least not strong enough to handle a 30.06 charge. So should I use that action or something better?

Thanks.

Default Which Spanish Mauser?

Which Spanish Mauser are you talking about?

There Was a Model 1893, an 1895, a 1943 and 44 (Which are both 1898 Type Mauser action). Then there are Sub models like the Model 1916, which uses the 1895 action, and the FR-7 which also uses the 1895 action and then the FR-8 which uses the 1943 Spanish action.

You see why I ask "which Spanish Mauser"?

Out of all of these, the only ones that would do what you want, would be the 1943/44 (The 1944 is just the Spanish Air Force version of the 1943) and of course the FR-8 which is essentially the same action.

You probably don't want to build a .30-06 on any of the others as the are not suitable for the pressures of the cartridge.

I hope this helps. Merry Christmas.
    Al
    "Have you hugged your gun today?"

if i recall correctly the problem was with the spanish heat treatment and steel quality.

if you want to build a mauser sporter than find an old turkish mauser that has the stock chopped. they can be had for as low as 120 dollars. most turkish mausers are ex german and therefor very strong and will clean up nicely.

I wish I could provide more details about the Spanish Mauser. I do know it is a 98 action, but I cannot tell more than that since there were scope mounts on top of the receiver covering any markings. I could have tried to ask the guys behind the counter but in the past they have seemed pretty clueless about all things Mauser (these are the guys that tried to sell me a RC barreled receiver with the barrel contour machined down for $300.)

Furthermore, I know that the rifle is still chambered in 8mm and the barrel has been cut down several inches.

As it is they are selling the rifle on consignment for $300, I am not sure if it is worth it.

If it is a '98 it could be done with little problem, if it checks out with a gunsmith. The "Metal Strength" and heat treating was kind of an 1895 and earlier thing.

Saying a Turk action is the same as saying "a Spanish action". Yes, several of them are suitable for .30-06 but, this action is already tapped, that helps.

$300 seems high to me but, I have not seen it. With the price of guns going up the way they are it may be well worth it soon.

Al
    "Have you hugged your gun today?"

Using an FR8 would be less than ideal - besides incurring the wrath of the collectors, you'd need to gring off the rear site base and remove the filler in the magazine housing - actually replacing with a Kar98k mag housing is a lot simpler.
    I had thought of modding my M1944 Spanish Mauser at one time - but there is considerable difference in 8mm Mauser and the .30-06/.308Win SAAMI limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
    Using an FR8 would be less than ideal - besides incurring the wrath of the collectors, you'd need to gring off the rear site base and remove the filler in the magazine housing - actually replacing with a Kar98k mag housing is a lot simpler.
    I had thought of modding my M1944 Spanish Mauser at one time - but there is considerable difference in 8mm Mauser and the .30-06/.308Win SAAMI limits.

So are you saying I should go with a German, Czech, or Belgian made receiver?

Any of you guys ever use a Standard Modell receiver?? I am seeing one for sale, 1924 vintage w/ a mauser banner on it. It has got some pitting on it, but it is a possibility. Are the Standard Modells any good?

Yes, a Standard Model would be good.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Exclamation Watch out for Cartridge Length in Mauser

The .30-06 cartridge tends to be a little long for the M-98 action, which was designed for the shorter 57mm long case. I think the '06 is about 62mm long, isn't it?

In the conversion process, you would have to grind some of the metal away from the feed ramp area to allow the longer cartridge to feed up from the magazine, and that would compromise the structural integrity of the receiver. Mausers have been converted to all kinds of exotic rounds, but they usually have to cut, piece in and re weld the receivers and extend the bolts to accommodate them. That's not the sort of thing that a basement workshop Bubba is apt to be doing.

If I were you i'd stick to the Springfield action, which is built longer than the Mauser, designed around the '06 round. You can get the refurbed 03-A3 actions for around $150 at SOG the last I knew.

If you want a .30 cal. Mauser, go with .308. The intermediate length M-24/48 actions are fine for .308 (I've done one) and you just have to pin or solder a little block in the front of the magazine well - like this old Israeli 7.62 X 51mm K-98:

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Slade View Post
    I wish I could provide more details about the Spanish Mauser. I do know it is a 98 action, but I cannot tell more than that since there were scope mounts on top of the receiver covering any markings. I could have tried to ask the guys behind the counter but in the past they have seemed pretty clueless about all things Mauser (these are the guys that tried to sell me a RC barreled receiver with the barrel contour machined down for $300.)

Furthermore, I know that the rifle is still chambered in 8mm and the barrel has been cut down several inches.

As it is they are selling the rifle on consignment for $300, I am not sure if it is worth it.
    The fact that it's chambered for the 8mm Mauser says it all. The 8mm, in military form, (as in the case of this rifle) is a high pressure cartridge. In other words, if it'll work (pressure wise) with the 8mm, it'll work with the 30-06.
    35W

2520wcf Guest

He may also have a "Santa Barbara" Spanish commercial Mauser action. I have seen these but can't remember if they are the same length as the M43 or a copy of the longer FN commercial action. The one I do remember had a copy of the FN sporter safety, and was on a sporting rifle in .243, made up by one of the old-time importers/retailers that used to advertise them in gun magazines (FI???). A strong 98 Mauser action, I believe, and already tapped for a scope at the factory. These were also sold as actions only at one time, and in do-it-yourself rifle kits with a barreled action and semi-finished stock.

Any of you guys ever use a Standard Modell receiver?? I am seeing one for sale, 1924 vintage w/ a mauser banner on it. It has got some pitting on it, but it is a possibility. Are the Standard Modells any good?
    if your talking about the one thats on gunbroker right now i would pass on it, its heavily pitted & way overpriced.
    i have three standard modell banner receivers, two of them are in very good condition & the other is in about the same condition as the one on gb. i paid $40 shipped for it.
    banner receivers still come up every so often but i would wait for a nicer one or at least one thats priced according to its condition.

Any 98 action will handle a .30-06 by either replacing the magazine or modifying the existing one to make it long enough to hold the .30-06 round. All but the longest cartridges can be handled by just grinding a bit from the front and rear of the magazine. Only the feed ramp has to be recontoured and this does not affect strength.

My Mark X Mauser is a standard length 98 but has a long magazine extending back under the bridge to hold its .375 H&H magnum cartridges. No problems and its plenty strong.

I wouldn't use any Springfield for the basis of a sporter. They are expensive, many sporter parts mostly long out of production, and the 2 piece firing pin is a weak point.

However I have gotten to the point where I will no longer build any sporter from a milsurp. A competent job always costs much more than a commercial rifle of equal quality. If you want a nice rifle trot over to Walmart, buy one and stock and scope it to your desire. It'll be "custom" enough, work better than any milsurp conversion and cost less.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog57 View Post
    Yep. SAAMI underloads the 8x57 to about Krag pressures for those who put a round out of the factory box through one of the old .318" bores in one of the Commission rifles. It is a liability deal, rather than anything that has much to do with the pressures of European ammunition. The .30-06 and the European 8x57 are loaded to much the same pressure tolerances in modern production ammunition. Here in the States, 8x57 = Krag. In the rest of the world, 8x57 = .30-06.
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

So are you saying I should go with a German, Czech, or Belgian made receiver?

yes, definitely. A Spanish Mauser is a $75 gun, IMHO. Yes it's a 98 design, but nowhere near the quality of a German 98, or FN.

Personally I don't seek CZ actions either, they are good no doubt, but lack the collector appeal and resale value, IMHO.

If you want a good 98 action without destroying a vintage 98, look through the Turk Mausers at the local gunstore, they are usually often already butchered up stocks- there's usually 2 or 3 for under $200, sometimes as low as $125, and you may luck out and find a 98 design. I recently found a Turk 1893/38 for only $150 in very good condition in 8mm- and its German made. That would make a nice 308 or 257 Roberts, etc. but the 8x57 is a fine cartridge anyway.

Or, find a S. American contract 98, they are just as good as the German ones in metallurgy. I picked up 2 of them, one was an Argentiine 1909 made in Germany by Mauser, for $200. The other was a Peruvian 1935 FN 98 for $155.

I'd stay away from the Spanish Mauser actions. They would be a good action to do some destructive testing on with hot loads and a string. The best Spanish actions are the commerical Santa Barbara actions, but they have a lower resale value than a German or FN.