Default Garnet, Amber shellac..where?

A couple posters mentioned making touch ups on their 91/30's with either garnet or amber shellac. I went to three different places and was unable to find either types. Salesman I spoke to stated those colors are not real popular. My question is where did everyone get their shellac at, Lowes..Menards..Home Depot? Is there another colored shellac that might do which is more common?

Regards...

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Zinsers brand shellacs - Sears Hardware.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

Quote Originally Posted by Bob In St. Louis View Post
    Zinsers brand shellacs - Sears Hardware.

You are the man!! I take it I also need some steel wool grade 0000 and that should be it right?

you can get the zinsers at lowes.

Stupid noob question: Is this Zinsers amber/garnet shellac already in a can, or is flakes? I would prefer it be in a can.

Regards....

Just looking...... Membership Chair, Dormont Mt. Lebanon SC, PA. Visit us at : http://www.mdi.net/dml/

Bob In St. Louis is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member/Super Moderator

Yes, the Zinsers product is already in solution in a can, but for doing touch up or patching, I normally dilute it a bit more with denatured alcohol.
    Godfather, Eibar Mafia

El Jefe Loco

I have both flakes and canned, and like the flakes because I can mix just what I need and dilute it to match the color.

The stock itself is in good condition, but the seperate handguard has only about 20% of it's original shellac left. Should I just steel wool the rest of the shellac off and use the full strength Zinsers on it?

Quote Originally Posted by MNIceMan View Post
    I have both flakes and canned, and like the flakes because I can mix just what I need and dilute it to match the color.

By diluting it, I take it you mean adding flakes to a small cup of denatured alcohol until uoi get the same color as the stock?

Default Helpful page

http://www.shellac.net/ShellacFlake.html

Also, I have used Zinsser's products are they are great for general purpose wood finishing. The amber shellac is light compared to some Mosin Nagant Finishes, so some people recommend a garnet shellac which you have to mix.
    http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=31
    He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which.
    Douglas Adams

I start with the Zinsser Amber Shellac. I then use a tint base that I obtained at the Woodcraft Store. Because the underlying color of the stock is so variable it is nce to be able to mix small batches of light to very dark shellac. The red/brown seems to work best for me. They have other colors as well. It can also be mixed with Denatured Alcohol or tung oil etc. to make a stain etc.

you can't add alcohol to lighten it, as it will evaporate, leaving the starting color. you lighten by mixing with clear shellac. Zinnser's only has clear and amber around here, I have never seen garnet.

Garnet is the right color. You can get it at a Woodworker Emporium store if you have one locally. It's expensive but the results are worth it. You can also order it through www.finishsupply.com.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaG View Post
    By diluting it, I take it you mean adding flakes to a small cup of denatured alcohol until uoi get the same color as the stock?
    Yes. Thats how I mix it. I use garnet flakes and can always make a nice match.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosinmeister View Post
    Garnet is the right color. You can get it at a Woodworker Emporium store if you have one locally. It's expensive but the results are worth it. You can also order it through www.finishsupply.com.
    I agree that the Garnet color is the proper color for many/most applications. However, I found that using the tint base (not cheap at $19) allowed the flexibility to go light or dark depending on the original fiinish or wood condition. Some of the stocks are naturally dark and some are light. Also as a topcoat over existing shellac it is desirable to go lighter or darker depending on outcome desired and the original coloration. I used the flake garnet with Amber and DA as a cutting agent but it was more difficult to get what I wanted. Either way will work.
    Shellac is a nice product once you use it a time or two. Very forgiving and fixable IMHO.