Default Century Arms C93 Sporter .223

Thinking about buying one but would like to see if anyone has any input on them. These are from what I'm told a HK33 type clone made with new US parts. Can anyone shed some light on the topic??

Thanks, Ranger-1

here's a lengthy discussion, starting from when they were first put on the market....

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=109680
    "Your a$$ is grass.....and I've got the weedwacker!"

Default Century C93

After reading the 6 page report it appears that there are some problems with some of the earlier rifles. They did state that maybe some of the later models may not have the problems the others did, still sounds like a crap shoot on what you may get. I may hold off unless there are some really good reports that surface on the later models that Century is selling at this time. Thanks for the info.

Ranger-1

As a poster to that thread who initially had problems with their rifle...yes it is a crap shoot, but one that is worth taking IMHO. I originally got a rifle that was on the extreme low end of allowable bolt gap, but I sent it back and got a rifle that was better in several ways. My rear sight was a little tight, but I was willing to overlook that, and I would have preferred to have a rifle like the one pictured on AIM's website with the grooves in the bolt carrier. After returning the rifle I got a very smooth rear sight ( like a real HK) and the grooves, which I assume is a type of forward assist, or a quiet way to fully close the bolt.

If you want one, go ahead and roll the dice.

Default Century C93

Thanks for the first hand info on the rifle, I'll check with AIM and Century and see what I can find. Thanks guys!

Ranger-1

I am intrigued with this offering and am also looking for those with experience with it.

Mine originally had issues with one roller having a nub on it causing issues, once that was fixed it was reliable and fun to shoot. I've been debating selling some of my AR's to buy 1 or 2 more.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

I liked the first one enough to buy a second.

Both had nice parked finish, good stocks and forends, and a bolt gap of .011". Both have worked without a hitch. Each came with 2 40 round alloy magazines and good bayonets. I degreased and used matte black Guncote over the parkerizing.

I have a HK93, these clones shoot nearly as well.

Yes - I would rather the bolt gap was .018. For $600 who cares, I could not build the rifle for that. Good deal in my opinion.

Unless Century is limiting their involvement to only stamping a import mark on something, I wouldn't buy another rifle from them. They screwed me on two Cetme's and a Galil.

Anybody know what the twist rate is on the barrels ?

Quote Originally Posted by DeanSchmidt View Post
    Anybody know what the twist rate is on the barrels ?
    1 in 9

On top of the world, looking down on creation

With the availability of Galil clones and HK94/33 clones from Century- after almost 20 years of going without- I've considered this to be the new "golden age." I've lusted after these rifles forever and now -finally- have them. (Now just need a AUG clone and my life will be complete).

Buy one of each and fix what (if anything) needs fixing. Anyone that doesn't get one of each will eventually regret not taking the plunge.
    Любишь сиськи много?_____________Nein Fräulein, das ist kein Leberwürst
    Да, мне нравится сиськи много. _____
    in der Tasche

I received one from Aim surplus about 2 months ago, the bolt gap was a solid .010 i finally got around to shooting it yesterday (sad) and checked the gap after 100 rounds and it dropped to a .006. Called century this morning and it will be going back to them to be repaired or replaced. I specifically asked them not to replace the rollers with larger ones to fix it. we will see what happens.

Sorry for the dumb question but since bolt gap seems to be a subtopic of this thread what is the best way/tool to measure it?

A good quality feeler guage set from NAPA or your favorite auto parts store should suffice. The kind that has the individual blades of each thousandths and a good one like a K&D runs @ $7. Check the chamber for no ammo,double check it,then slap the locked charging handle closed,pull the trigger,and start with say a .010 blade to see if it slides into the gap between the bolt and carrier body,when viewed upside down through the mag well. If that blade is too loose,switch to the next size up,untill you get to the one that won't easily slide into the gap,then the last one to fit is your bolt gap.

Thanks Pacific.

It seems that one guy bought two of them, they showed up with a .012 bolt gap which is dead in the middle of the good range. So far so good, but after firing 200 rounds the gap shrunk to .06, which is on the bottom of the acceptable range. He pushed out the barrel pin (he said it came out very easily which is not a good sign) then he hammered back the barrel with an air hammer, and reamed the barrel pin hole and repinned it with an oversize pin. After that the bolt gap did not close up after repeated shootings.
    This is typical of what is happening on a lot of C93s, I don't think that the people building these for CIA are pinning the barrels right. The fit between the pin and barrel/trunnion should be very, very snug. It should not be easily driven out.

Quote Originally Posted by milsurphunter View Post
    I received one from Aim surplus about 2 months ago, the bolt gap was a solid .010 i finally got around to shooting it yesterday (sad) and checked the gap after 100 rounds and it dropped to a .006. Called century this morning and it will be going back to them to be repaired or replaced. I specifically asked them not to replace the rollers with larger ones to fix it. we will see what happens.
    I received my gun back and the bolt gap is now a .015, i hope to shoot it soon and see if that shrinks any.