Default super rare 1949 tula sks

dude on one of the auctions has a '49 "super rare" tula sks, starting bid is over 1200 clams, about the most i've seen asked for a sks, is this for real or is he full of it?

sounds like the one that sold for a few thousand dollars ..never knew if it was a bogus sale

nah, as of a little bit ago, it was still for sale. are they really that rare?

Pretty rare...

There was a 49 Russian SKS that went over $7000 on auction, that turned out to be bogus (the buyer), but it ruined the seller as he had no idea & when he reauctioned it it did go for almost $4000, that rifle though appeared to be an original 49 w/all the original parts, spike bayonet, 90% gas port, early latch cover, etc etc, I believe it also had it's original stock w/clear cartouches & date but it had gone thru a refurb & was painted black & had a rework stamp on the cover. One of those odd ones that went thru a refurb but had basically nothing changed, that's what made that one special (I don't about 4k though). After that one a number of 49's have come up but all have been thorough reworks, laminate socks, blade bayonets etc which are good for someone who wants the year but not for someone who wants the complete original configuration 49, I bid $2500 on the above & was mystified when it went for what it did!, in that original configuration (as opposed to condition) that was a VERY rare gun.

thanks for the insight. the one i was just peering was a refurb, non original stock, but looked better than most russians i've seen, just had never heard them that high. last time i looked, he had no bidders.

if it's the one I'm thinking of & there's been a couple after the one described above, it's "rareness" is in the date only, that is worth a premium, maybe a $100 or so, especially to someone trying to fill out a year in a collection but that rifle & an original configuration rifle are like comparing a Ford & Rolls in value, they're both cars, both have 4 wheels but....

I sold my 1949 on Gunbroker earlier in the year for $1900! The guy was pleased as punch to get it. All original features, but rework I am sure, matching except for the gas tube and very pretty!

Ol Duke is offline Super Moderator Platinum Member Zombie Killer

Yep, pretty rare...took me 7 years of looking before I wandered up on one by happenstance at Knob Creek....gladly paid his $400 price....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4952covers.jpg  
    Last edited by Ol Duke; 11-30-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    Thanks,
    Ol'Duke

"I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence."
    George Bernard Shaw

Mihi ignosce. Cum homine de cane debeo congredi.
    (Excuse me. I need to see a man about a dog.)

damn ya beat me ol duke mine was $425.

Rare alright. One in million ,

Question

The ruskie 49s have spike bayonets???
    Thats wierd since all the 50s dated ones have blades.
    Sarge

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The ruskie 49s have spike bayonets???
    Thats wierd since all the 50s dated ones have blades.
    Sarge
    You did not really think that Chinese came up with spike bayonet on their own or did you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SKS 1949.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	28616
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

I sold guns at gun shows back in the early 90's when the Russians came in and so did Clinton. There was a feeding frenzy you just wouldn't believe. That miserable SOB sold more guns and the NRA ever could! Anyhow, I sold over 400 Russians and over 200 of those were handpicked from the distributor. Out of all of those rifles, I found about 10 that were flat NEW (still have one), I refused to buy the parked ones and only went for nice blued ones with nice unbashed stocks. All this to say that, in all the ones I sold AND all the ones I searched through...maybe 1k?, I saw (and bought) one 1949 SKS. It was a rebuild and parked but it was the only one. I sold it....sigh. From personal experience, they are VERY rare. Now whether they are worth a lot of money, who knows?

Cheers

geed, you sho right about uncle bill, 10/22's, ar's, mini's all were snapped up for a premium. i bought a mini 14 for 250 bucks, had a few extra mags and a scope on it, took it to the next gunshow, and before i could get in the door some dude handed me 650 for it.:D BUT, about that same time, i paid 550 for a mini 30 ranch rifle, super rifle , much better than a mini 14 in my book, still have it, but i paid too much for it.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ij70 View Post
    You did not really think that Chinese came up with spike bayonet on their own or did you?
    How did the chicoms get into this discussion??? What relevance do the chicom SKSs have in a discussion of first production russian SKSs?

As far as chicom spike bayonets go, why would it be such a reach for them to come up with the spike bayonet on an SKs since they had been making the type 53 carbine with a spike bayonet? It's Not like they had No experience with them!
    Sarge