Thread: S & W model 22A questions

Default S & W model 22A questions

Greetings! This is my first time on this forum. I generally hide in the Collector's forum or the Minefield.
    I recently picked up a S & W Model 22A that wouldn't fire. From what I can tell, the firing pin is as sharp as an axe and harder steel than the barrel, so it has chopped a notch into the end of the chamber from dry firing, leaving nothing to back up the firing pin strike. It will bend the cartridge rim but not fire the round. I can see no other way to safely release the firing pin after the last round has been fired, to prevent this from happening so I'll use the plastic "snap cap" function testing rounds as the final chambering at the end of the day but they won't last long with this sharp pin.
    So, does anyone have one of these pistols? Has this happened to your pistol? Is this a problem S&W has already corrected or should I contact them? I know parts are available from several sources but are there any simple fixes besides replacing the barrel assembly? The only thing suggested so far is to super clean the spot, add some JB Weld, and then hand hone it back to specs. I will try that since it is way cheaper than replacing the barrel and rail assembly but I realize I'll end up buying the new parts eventually. Unless someone has already tried it and found it to be a suitable repair?
    Thanks for your input.
    Jack

S&W has a lifetime warranty. Call them, they will send you a shipping label, and UPS will drop it back off to you when they are done. Turnaround time is usually 2-3 weeks.
    Will work for ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgleg44 View Post
    S&W has a lifetime warranty. Call them, they will send you a shipping label, and UPS will drop it back off to you when they are done. Turnaround time is usually 2-3 weeks.
    Thanks! I'll try that. Do you have the phone number? (I know! I could look it up!)

The manual for the 22A specifically states do not dry fire. I thought that was the case with most rim fires. If Smith won't fix it they're are several barrel assembly options available for the 22A.

S&W used to be sticky in regards to the warrenty cards.
    If you purchased this thing used, you may have an issue there, otherwise I would send it in.

I purchased several of these when they were offering some decent promotions several years back.

I still receive incentive junk mail from them to this day.

I had a couple of unsatisfied customers.

One wanted a Ruger Match pistol and purchased a 22A instead despite having been told that the pistol was not capable of performing to the match level and was more of a plinker.

One received a defective pistol.
    It was promptly repaired and they were never really pleased with it, but accepted it as it was.

These are good economy semi-auto 22 pistols.

They are not (out of the box) accurate enough to compete with if you are a serious competitor.

These are great if you want to go trapping or if you need a weasel popper, but if you think a red dot is going to make it into a Ruger MkII or MkIII target pistol, you will be disappointing.

I have an older Iver Johnson Colt Woodsman copy that was more accurate in practice than my personal 22A.

I sold my 22A to a friend who wanted it to kill rats and snakes on his farm in the northern lower and he is very pleased with it.
    I threw in my spare magazines and a good holster.

I kept the Smith and Wesson shooting bag.
    It was good.
    Semper Fi,
    ret_Marine2003

Located at American Legion post 300, somewhere in Northern Michigan.

I've never had a problem with S&W and their warranty. I've returned several used handguns to them for warranty work, and have never been asked if I was the original purchaser. I never volunteered that information, either.

S&W has the best warranty in the industry. Other companies should take note of their service and treat their customers as well. Ruger follows a close second, except they do not pay shipping to them, like S&W does.
    Will work for ammo.

My S&W 22a is the only handgun that I own which I will never sell. No, it's not competition grade but it is a fun and pretty accurate gun to shoot. Call S&W and let us know what they say. Please!
    Ruger Revolvers, Marlin Levers

Default Thank you all for your responses

IBBG = I Buy Broken Guns
    This S&W is one of 6 firearms I picked up Friday from one of the pawn shops I deal with. Simply put, it is a handshake gentlemen's agreement. They sell me all their clunkers at a price we agree on and I buy them ALL. As is, no returns, no guarantees, no remorse. I get what I pay for and often only have a scribbled note about why a customer returned the item or just have a visual impression of the quality of the gun based on a short cursory examination. This particular S&W was simply listed as "will not fire". I didn't see the actual damage until I tore the thing apart. Hence my questions to see if this was a common problem with this model or if there were any simple fixes known. Replacement barrel assemblies are available through Numrich and Brownell's and will cost around what I paid for the gun so, I really appreciate the suggestions to call S&W. In the years I've been doing this, I've only had to go to the manufacturer once (Ruger). I don't buy these to repair and resell. Once bought they remain in my growing collection. I'm not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer, and I learn as I go. Just last week alone, I learned how to take the bolt out of a '98 Krag, how to take the magazine out of a '91 Argentine Mauser, and how to dis-assemble a Hi-Point, a Bersa, and a Bryco/Jennings 9mm. (And get them back together again!) I find it to be a lot of fun. Once upon a time I would have been that neighbor of yours down the street. The one with 6 cars in the driveway, 2 on the street and a couple more in the back yard. It's too hard to play grease-monkey any more so guns have filled that need to tinker (clean and repair, not BUBBA). I've found that the shops often consider a firearm as "broken" even if it's just missing the magazine, so I've been able to make some pretty sweet deals on easily repaired, good quality firearms.
    So thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.
    Anybody want to buy an old tow truck?
    Last edited by IBBG; 01-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Smith ans Wesson has recall out on the 22A's. Received my letter with return label for Fedex shipping. The cause/reason for the recall is a head space issue. Go to the S&W web site for more info.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by zx9rt1 View Post
    Smith ans Wesson has recall out on the 22A's. Received my letter with return label for Fedex shipping. The cause/reason for the recall is a head space issue. Go to the S&W web site for more info.
    Thanks! I checked Doesn't involve my serial number range. My problem is the firing pin being harder than the barrel and chopping a notch into it, so deep that it only bends the .22 case and does not fire the round. I will contact S & W by phone next week since they're closed through the 4th.

If you just want to tinker with it, check the Brownell's catalog. They sell a hand tool that cleans up the burr caused by dry firing a .22 rimfire. If you get a lot of used/broken guns from the pawn shop, you may get a lot of use from the tool.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=8...R_IRONING_TOOL

Sorry, I just came back to edit this post. I reread your original post and saw that a burr is not your issue. I guess calling Smith is your best bet now.
    Will work for ammo.