Default Stock Repair Photos

Let's reserve this thread for photos of stock repairs on Swedish military rifles, rolling blocks or Mausers. We'll add to it in time..

Included would be fillers. I've seen some with black material used as a dent or gouge filler. Patches, splices, etc.

Dutchman

swede is offline Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member

Default Wood fillers .

I have a 1899 dated M-96 with wood filler in a few of the dings . I am positive it is a Swede arsenal repair , judging by the stock finish . I looks like wood putty ? I have seen this on other Swede stocks as well .

Heres my 1942 Husqvarna with a two tone stock. Walnut on beech.
    I never met a gun I didn't like!
    Dogs are better people than most people.

Here's a couple shots of mine, a 1902 C.G. M96 that we are debating in another thread.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9121855.JPG   P9121856.JPG  

Default Swedish military rifle stock repairs

Dear Don, I will import a thread back from late January 2007, where a number of photograph were posted:

opee
    Posted - 01/27/2007 : 12:47:08 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have come across a couple of M96's, and one M94 that show no signs of being altered such as sanding, etc here in the states...... but two of these rifles have small amounts of a black or tar-like filler in some of the small dings or gouges on the stock. Neither of the rifles came from a single source that I am aware of. I was curious about what the protocol was for a Swede rifle when it was sent to the Swedish arsenals for repair. Did the arsenals use a black or dark filler on some of the stocks before sending them back out into the field? I am talking only small dings and gouges. Nothing like a split or severely damaged stock that could jeapardize the function of the rifle while in use. Any experts out there that have seen similar types of filler material on their Swede rifle stocks?

swede
    Posted - 01/27/2007 : 1:10:11 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes , I have seen several M-96 stocks with a light colored filler , matching French walnut . Stock finish was unmolested & had a yellow range decal present . Personally I have not seen a dark filler , but that does not mean there none with dark filler . Are the stocks in question dark in color with the dark filler ?????

Dutchman
    Posted - 01/27/2007 : 1:57:41 PM
    I've seen a few stocks with black filler. Its not a subject we have much information about.

opee
    Posted - 01/27/2007 : 2:14:11 PM
    One of the stocks is on a beautiful M94-14. The stock is a dark shade of walnut so the filler is almost invisible and only in one spot. The other is a very blondish light colored M96 stock and has a darker colored type of filler in about 6 places smaller than a pencil eraser. It has a nice range decal on it and some very fine tiger stripes. One rifle came from the Northeast US, and the other M96 stock is from the former DJ collection. Based on my own judgement they had to be Swede arsenal repairs.

Swedeman
    Posted - 01/28/2007 : 08:23:23 AM
    Yes, the Swedes used a dark resin-looking filler to fill pocks and gouges. I have 2 or 3 rifles from different sources with this type of filler. The filler on these rifles is very old and has aged along with the surrounding finishes. If I can round up some photos, I will try to post at least one.

Here you go ...

Vulch
    Posted - 01/28/2007 : 9:39:00 PM
    Agreed. I once had a LOT of loose Swedish M96 stock sets, and quite a few showed either the dark resinous filler (also found on Finnish Mosin Nagant stocks I have had from time to time, so it is a Scandinavian / arctic kinda thing :D), or on the lighter walnut stocks, it appears they used a blob of shellac - seen the shellac more often than the resin in fact.

Dutchman
    Posted - 01/28/2007 : 11:23:56 PM
    This subject hasn't really been studied much, if at all, in this forum. If you have a rifle with photos that show various stock repairs, not limited to those showing filler of some kind, please feel free to post photos. I've seen dowels and square patches in stocks, in fact the square patch is pictured on the beech page at my website www.rebooty.com/~dutchman/beech.html where a knot was patched.

Vulch
    Posted - 01/29/2007 : 02:19:25 AM
    Dutch,
    I had a few that had an entire heel spliced and dowelled in. Work was actually kinda low standard, surprisingly.

Also seen patches along the bolt handle side wall with small dowells vertically down, and a few with square patches in the butt cheek area etc.

Dutchman
    Posted - 01/29/2007 : 03:37:02 AM
    Gun collectors overuse the term "arsenal" in areas such as this, "arsenal repair". The fact is more often than not the repair was done by a regimental armorer so the quality of repair could vary greatly. And when you toss in the many rifles from the FSR clubs where repair was non-regulated you can end up with any and all manner of repairs. Still, its an interesting area to study in military rifles.

arilar
    Posted - 01/29/2007 : 04:20:57 AM

Arsenal stock repair on my m/96 (CG 1909).

Regards,
    ARILAR

Bob A
    Posted - 01/29/2007 : 08:25:46 AM
    Here's a repair on an 1894 stock. The repair extends about 1/3 way into the stock. Sorry for the blurry photo.
    Bob

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/bo...tock%20002.jpg
    Download Attachment:
    22.84 KB

http://old.gunboards.com/uploaded/bo...tock%20001.jpg
    Download Attachment:
    31.34 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 200712982224_1894%20stock%20002.jpg   200712981710_1894%20stock%20001.jpg  

Two more photos of a repaired m/96 stock from a German eGun auction. When the large ones eventually go away, you can still access the pics via the thumbnails.

Carcano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1471956_3_46df03ddc9b4d.jpg   1471956_4_46df03ddcaaf1.jpg  

Just figured this was worth a bump so it's not lost

Default Double Repair

Here's an unusual one on a 1900 Oberndorf with an 85 degree stock:
    (I have some others on my site)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P4130141reduced.jpg  

Ja Ja, dank u zeer. Good topic which we have too little information. The photos are great at telling the story.

This forum isn't old enough yet to loose topics. I hope.

Dutchman

Default stock repair

This is on a 1900 CG. This stock also has a splice at the butt.

Here is a stock repair on my 1916 m/41B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 372175 - 009.jpg   372175 - 010.jpg   372175 - 011.jpg   372175 - 012.jpg   372175 - 185.jpg   372175 - 036.jpg  

1916 m/41B
    1919 m/96
    1922 m/41B