Default Weird M1 carbine manufacturers

Anyone ever heard of Alpine or PMC making M1 carbines?

I had a friend that had an Alpine marked m1 carbine. I do believe the receiver was marked Alpine, it was not an import mark, saw it like 8 years ago. Only other Alpine stuff I ever remember seeing was I think a box of ammo so marked.

I also recently saw an m1 carbine and it was marked PMC on the receiver and a serial number, I did not find an import mark. Did PMC in South Korea actually make these?

I have heard of but have never seen the Howa M1 Carbine with the prts that I think was sold to the Thais but these other two manufactures are kind of weird. Any info would be appreciated.

I owned an Alpine carbine 35 years ago. Don't know any details about the company but it seemed to be all GI parts on a new receiver. Wish I had it back, it was a good shooter. The quality was much better than the Universal, Iver Johnson, etc that I have seen lately. Don't know anything about the PMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonclip View Post
    Anyone ever heard of Alpine or PMC making M1 carbines?

I had a friend that had an Alpine marked m1 carbine. I do believe the receiver was marked Alpine, it was not an import mark, saw it like 8 years ago. Only other Alpine stuff I ever remember seeing was I think a box of ammo so marked.

I also recently saw an m1 carbine and it was marked PMC on the receiver and a serial number, I did not find an import mark. Did PMC in South Korea actually make these?

I have heard of but have never seen the Howa M1 Carbine with the prts that I think was sold to the Thais but these other two manufactures are kind of weird. Any info would be appreciated.

PMC was Plainfield Machine Co., not the Korean ammunition producer, Pusan Metal Corp.

Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Plainfield was the first?? post-war maker of commercial M1 Carbines.
    They used commercial cast steel receivers and USGI parts, most new or like new.
    Plainfield's were usually good shooters.

Here's a site with full details on the Alpine and Plainfield commercial carbines.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 12-28-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Thanks, I have a Plainfield but it is spelled out, not abbreviated PMC. It is a good gun. My Iver Johnson, now sold, was not as good.

Buy USGI

I believe the time line was something like:
    Howa(Japan)
    Alpine
    Universal- first a GI clone, then an abomination copy
    National Ordnance
    Plainfield
    Iver Johnson(bought the equipment from Plainfield when they went defunct)
    Kahr Arms(I believe they bought the equipment from IJ)

There are probably a couple more I left out, like Johnson Arms with a necked down round.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC