Default Odd 30-06 headstamps

Picked up some shot 30-06 shells with odd headstamps. The first, R A 1941 300 Z, I believe was made for the British (because of the Z) by Remington Arms. Was this a contract for England, why the "special headstamp? The second, OJP 59 III, looks like Czech or Austrian by the "German type code". Why Military 30-06 for them in 1959? Comments?
    David Franchi

OJP is Austrian... they had M1 rifles.

I have not seen the other headstamp before.

David

The Remington cartridge is one made for the British Lend Lease in 1940 and 1941. The headstamp and the double ring crimp was ordered by the Brits who intended to use the ammo primarily in aircraft machine guns. When Remington started making cartridges for US use in 1941 they received permission to continue the double crimp so they would not have to alter their machinery, So, you'll find a lot of RA 41 and RA 42 with that crimp

As the Sarge said, the other cartridge is Austrian.

ray
    Last edited by Ray Meketa; 12-31-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Ray - a detail. The 1940/41 Remington ammunition (both .30 and .50) was a direct British purchase for the RAF and was paid for with cash (actually probably gold). It was not supplied under the lend Lease Act which was not signed until 11th March 1941. Even the ammo supplied direct from the US government in 1940 (a lot of 1929/30 FA made ball) was paid for.

Regards
    TonyE
    British military small arms and ammunition,
    Researcher, collector and pedant.
    https://sites.google.com/site/britmilammo/home

Tony

Thanks for the clarification. It makes me wonder where and when the "lend lease" connection started? I'll have to revise my notes on these cartridges.

Ray