Gunboards Forums banner

IDF M14 Sniper stock and case

13K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  OhBoy 
#1 ·
Preface; This rifle not one of the 600 or so Springfield Armory Inc. produced M1A's made with Israeli Defense Force rifle parts ( those were marked with a star of David on the heel).

I have picked up some of these IDF Sniper items over the years I thought I would put them all together for some pictures for them that like to see all the variations.

Israel was given a large number of M14's by the US back in the 70's. After mods at IMI some became the M14 SWS ( Sniper Weapon System) in the Yom Kippur War in 1973 and were eventually replaced in the 1990's by whatever the heck they are using now.

I just wanted to look at some of the proprietary things they did to and made for to the M14.

The stock, scope, monter case and Night vis mount are the pieces that I have. There is a one point scope mount with integral 26mm rings that was made. I have seen them from time to time but have never picked one up because I prefer the 3 point split ARMS
mount that I am using now.

The original IDF mount.

The night vision mount is also a single point mount. Laid out here so you can see how it would line up.

Lets look at the stock.

The black krinkle coat on this one was added by Springfield Armory Inc when they marketed their version of the SWS back in the 90's. It is a std. USGI fiberglass stock that has been heavily modified with a fixed raised cheekpiece . This makes it a dedicated sniper as you can not get down to see the irons. The cheekpiece is reminiscent of the one used on the IDF 98K Mauser Sniper to permanently raise the comb. Commercial butt pad material has been fashioned into a sort of a two piece butt pad that extends up to encompass the cheekpiece too. Plenty of room here to spread out recoil. Some extra sling attachment points have beep added. This sucker is very butt heavy. There is also a Harris stud attached for bipod use.

The practically bombproof case is made with a heavy vinyl exterior ( rudely painted in my example) with foam molded compartments for the scoped rifle, two mags, Night vision mount and some other small accessory. It has a steel reinforcing bar exposed at the bottom. The whole shebang weights at least 12 pounds with no rifle in it. It is very heavy duty and keeps a rifle well protected.

I have seen similar molded cases for the Galil sniper in photographs.

The scope is the Khales ZF fixed 6X. The later Nimrods can also be seen on these set ups but those appear to be std for Galil snipers and only incidental on the M14 SWS. The Khales scope is great and in regular use by me.

I have not fired my rifle with the Modified Israeli stock as a little fitting is required in the trigger area and I will do that when I strip the krinkle coat off to return it to it's original color.

While the IDF snipers are not exactly legendary they did make and modify some interesting things for the M14 rifle. While I suspect the single point scope mounts would not match up the what we enjoy today, they do represent a little backwater of M14 parts and kit collecting.

JR

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks for the link. I can see what your saying by the pic above. It appears the IDF modded them for whatever reason.Who knows? LoL. I think Whatacountry had Israeli marked PVS 4s some time ago.

That still leaves the mystery of the three small pockets below the center of the rifle.I think maybe dust caps or alternate shaded lenses?

I have seen in person 3 cases and they were all different and so were the rifles themselves. I as of yet been unable to find a pic as to what sling was used also.

#7 ·
Very interesting and thanks for sharing. I'm surprised at how similar the case is to the Galatz sniper rifle (though I suppose by today's standards its a DMR).

Those 3 small pockets mentioned by 273-4 are present in the Galatz's case but only appear in a pair instead of 3. I also think they were for the scope lens or dustcaps of some sort.

#8 ·
I have is finally stripped the crinkle paint off my Israeli Sniper stock.

There are a some markings that were covered by the black goop. One is on the cheek piece and the other seems like a serial # on the left side of the stock. The same Hebrew character is molded on the bottom of the cheek riser itself.

Here you can see the nuts that that hold the cheek riser are countersunk into the USGI fiberglass stock.

The selector has been nicely filled in. But there is a repair that made with some shrunken up compound. I have filled that with some glaze so it won't show when repainted.

I am going to repaint these as close to the original colors as I can. The cheek riser is molded in a choco brown fiberglass so I an going to hit that with a shade that is darker and colored like the Israeli 98K sniper cheek riser. My base is Alumahyde 2 earth brown then covered with these two colors.

JR

#13 ·
My polytech aint got nothing on that, that is one beautiful rifle

#15 ·
Response to Get Some
I have no sources for more stocks. I was lucky to see this one for sale on eBay a year ago. Someone who has one of the 600 or so Springfield Armory Inc. produced Star of David M1A's must have changed stocks and sold his. I have never seen any that did not have the black crinkle coat.

The Khales ZF scopes are out there you just have to watch for them on eBay and other places. They commonly sell in the 400 dollar range.

#16 · (Edited)
A couple of Israeli scope setups from my collection. Note the two mounts differ slightly. An individual told me the two Hebrew markings indicate different factories.

I prefer the Hensoldt to the Nimrod by the way.

Believe someone recently posted instructions for the Hensoldt on Culvers Shooting Page. Poorly copied unfortunately.

Elevation turrets are marked with either the cartridge it is calibrated to or the type of firearm.

Lots of Israeli sniper stuff out there if you look. I also have a mount for using a M84 scope on an M16, an Israeli copy of the British No. 32 sniper scope, and a NVS on a FAL. There is also a wood crate, ala the No. 4 (T) sniper rifle, for storing the M14 sniper rifle. Also a really neat scope setup for the K98.

Attachments

#17 ·
I did a repair last year for a member on his IDF scope mount. Seems the stud was just a wee bit too short to engage the receiver threads by more than a turn or two.. So I cut the old stud off and welded in a new one, turning the weld down flush with the original surface. Thought that maybe I posted these before but could not locate them in a search.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.