Default Full power Euro 8mm Mauser load data

This looks pretty good to me.

http://www.realguns.com/loads/8x57mmjs.htm

The only thing missing is the lighter than 150gr options.
    ie. 125 gr bullets not included

Wow! I guess the 8mm is not the joke some people like to make it out to be, it WILL do anything the .30-06 will do. I remember reading in a reloading manuel from the '70s I think, the guy who posted the data on the 8mm said: "The people who think the 8mm is a joke never dodged buellets from one!" then he expounded on his story on being on a deck of a U.S. destroyer in the med when an ME 110 flew over head and the tail gunner cut loose. gave him a new found respect for the 8mm.
    Probably there is no data on the 125gr because some folks think due to the rifling twist that the 125's dont shoot as accuratly as heavier bulletts.

Try this (load at your own risk) 250 grain woodleigh bullets backed by 50 to 53 grains of H4350.
    that's a 'Alaska' load. the 06 depending on twist, IMHO goes way better with 180 or lower. the 8mm 180 or higher,, in full house loading. that's just my opinion. i did kill several deer with a 8x57 and 150 grain bullets loaded to around 3k fps.
    PISDETS VSEMU

The 125 s are to short to load in the long throat of my gew 98. The heavy ones fly well.

The data at real guns looks good, but a word to the wise the load there even exceed the loads in the Hodgdon 2009 Manual.
    Also it used a 29 inch Bbl to obatain those velocitys

Most of the loads listed are about a 10 to 15 % overload , and could be more depending on your rifle's land and groove dia . You can not make a US type .323 dia 150 grain bullet equal the German "S" ammo velocity without raising the pressure, since the German bullet was a .321 dia made to bore ride [ which let have more velocity for less pressure ] . Just use common sense , the 30/06 case has almost 10% more capacity than the 8x57mm case , but max loads in a 30/06 with a 150 grain bullet are going about 200 fps slower than some of the loads listed . The only way to do that is more pressure . Most well made G-98 Mauser can probbably shot 10% overloads for a while , but why would you want to ? mag

Default Mag's right-velocity and pressure are inter-twined.

I agree with Mag- those of us who do not have pressure testing capabilities end up having velocity as the best indicator of approximate pressure, with some indication from primers and cases, but velocity higher than everyone else gets is likely coming from pressures higher than normal. The European loadings of the 8x57 are pretty potent as is and the 8 mm really comes into its own with 200 grain bullets compared to the .30/06 (Nosler book for example). But case size is a reality here and why strain a 100 year old firearm? The availability of inexpensive chronographs was a real boon to reloaders and took a lot of hot air out of the data projected by hobby loaders. I like the 8mm so well I bought a .325 Win. Mag but the 8x 57 is just as useful a hunting round when all is said and done.

I did about the same thing as you did when I wanted to push a 8mm bullet really fast , I bought a rifle in 8mm magnum. mag

I went to the 8mm/06 ackley. but for iron sights (speaking for myself) the 8x57 will push a 200 grain bullet out real nicely out to 200 yards easy. hitting a deer/bear past that? im 50 something and my eyes dont work anymore. i have over a couple years stretched a recever on a nice post war czech maus trying to make it a 06. all up to you. im now playing with a lighter 150 gr bullet loading for target.
    PISDETS VSEMU

The orginal german 8mm mauser round was more powerful than the 30-06 but the gun powder they used isn't manufactured anymore. I always thought our 30-06 was more powerful but most of the new ammo is loaded down for safety reasons.

For a hunting round i bumped up to probably my last new hunting rifle which is in 338win mag. Mainly because i'm not good at running nor speed while bear hunting.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

The orginal german 8mm mauser round was more powerful than the 30-06 but the gun powder they used isn't manufactured anymore. I always thought our 30-06 was more powerful but most of the new ammo is loaded down for safety reasons.

We need to keep in mind that the lighter bullets move out of the case faster so the peak breech pressure isn't than long, were the heavier bullets take longer to move out of the case so the peak breech pressure is much longer.
    Are you ready for 12-21-2012?? Lets pray its the second comming of Christ and not the end like so many predict.

I haven't used any 150gr in my 8mm's ! I've stuck with 180 -200 gr as with my G98/40 that is what they shoot the best. I don't hot rod mine either run them about 2400-2500 fps which gives me more then enough for what I hunt with iron sites out to 200 yards.
    One shot one kill!!

Gentlemen, what you should know is that the load data presented is in accordance with the
    European C,I,P. data and US DATA before 1965 before the lawyers for the ammo companies
    found out that some old rifles were around with .318 bores.
    SO, if you load to Euro data, you are NOT exceeding manufacturers original specs
    nor the Euro commercial specs. The .323 can do more with the same amount of
    powder than the 30-06 because of larger bore size and theory of hydralics.
    ( ie bigger piston gives bigger push with same pressures )
    SO if you are sure you do NOT have one of the very early .318 bore guns
    you are ok to use the "recommended load data".
    OR, you can load it down to the equivalent of a 30-30 wet noodle
    as US SAAMI specs suggest. BTW, the SAMMI specs allow for shooting
    a .323 bullet down the bore of a 318 barrel.
    NOW it should all make sense to you.

What makes sense to me is that some of those loads are 10 to 15 % overloads . I have test fired 10's of 1000's of rounds of every bullet weight and powder combination through over 400 military rifles in 8x57mm . I know what is to much . When I was talking about bores sizes I was not talking about .318 bores . I was talking about the pressure differance of a overload in a .312 - .325 bore compared to a .3105 - .322 bore . Most military rifles will have bores inbetween those ranges . Since you can NOT get original spec bullets , you can not duplicate what they did . The 30/06 will always out do what a 8x57mm can do when loaded to the same pressures as the case has 10% more capacity which is greater than the differance between .308 and .323 . You can shoot overloads in your 100 year old rifles if you like , I will pass . mag

Although I don't yet reload for anything except .303, what are typical 8mm muzzle velocities for common surplus 50's Yugo and later Romanian ammo?

This Mauser (48A) is my first, and won't be the only one.

The Romanian ammo will run from 2465 yo 2678 fps depending on how tight the bore is on the rifle you shoot it in . That is the low and high velocities from 24 different Gew-88 , Gew-98 and 98k rifles . The Romanian has it's own type of bullet and is not like any the Germans ever used . The bullet is a 154 grain , mild steel cored boattail with .321 main body dia with a .323 small driving band. mag

Default 8x57 military ammo consistency?

Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    The Romanian ammo will run from 2465 yo 2678 fps
    Mag, Interesting that you have found that much variation from rifle to rifle. How is the lot to lot consitency in an individual rifle? I mostly shoot handloads with the 200 grain Speer which have given really excellent accuracy in k98's with good barrels and is a good game bullet up through elk size.

When comparing the 8mm to the 30-06 as a hunting cartridge, it should be kept in mind that "Terminal Effect" is not only a function of kinetic energy (mass and velocity) but also bullet diameter. An 8mm bullet moving at a slightly slower velocity can have the same "Terminal Effect" as the 30-06. Given this fact, an 8mm cartridge that is "not" down loaded to accommodate a .318 bore (i.e. loaded to the original design pressure of the .323 barreled weapon) in combination with its larger bullet diameter can be just as lethal on game as the 30-06 within most "normal" hunting ranges. The advantage of the 30-06 over the 8mm is in its flatter trojectory and less kinetic energy decay at the longer ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post

We need to keep in mind that the lighter bullets move out of the case faster so the peak breech pressure isn't than long, were the heavier bullets take longer to move out of the case so the peak breech pressure is much longer.
    Did you pull this theory from a dark place ?. The "original" patrone 88 was/is inferior to the 1906 30 caliber loading. That's a fact not supposition. The S patrone of 1903 and the 1906 .30 caliber loading are quite equal. All this gibberish about how hot and wow... as mag says go ahead and hotrod your old rifles... go ahead. I think the OP of this thread did something very similar not long ago regarding this kind of loading data. It went over like a rock then and does now.