Default Building a MONSTER 50 BMG Upper BOHICAARMS

My first post in this section of gunboards, but not in gunboards....

I'm going to chronicle my efforts, good and bad, I still don't know the final outcome, but will post the results as I find out.

For the fun shoots I help sponsor, we had a need for a 50 BMG rifle, but the dedicated models (Barrett, Bushmaster) were way way out of my price league.

This is how its started out.... ordering parts I thought or knew I needed....

After doing some research, and find a few that had tried the uppers, I ordered a 36" 50 BMG upper through http://www.bohicaarms.com. Kudos to BohicaArms, they did offer me a discount because of my purpose and the fun shoots.

I also had a choice of a few lowers, and found that a few WOULD not work. Olympic for one, they have an extra casting internally to take up space, so ended up using a new RRA lower I got from DragonFire of Apollo Firearms and his new business (New sponsor as well).

Attachment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AR Lowers that have problems.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	276185 Lowers that have problems

I got a Magpul PRS stock from Todd at Family Firearms and Finish. I love this style of stock, and have used it on other of my AR toys. I also got a generic lower parts kit from Todd, this is one rifle I DO NOT want to have a hair trigger.

I needed a scope and I asked, asked and asked for recommendations. A few people recommended a fixed power scope, and a few recommended the Super Sniper offered by SWFA. The price was reasonable 300 plus bucks. Much to my amazement when I got it (not mentioned in the ad's) it's a Tasco, but it is listed in the ad's as 50 BMG capable. The jury is out till I try it. Who knew Tasco had a scope over 100 bucks???? Have you ever seen an ad for a scope stating it was capable of the magnum and hard recoiling rifles?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-16x42-Tactic...cope-P501.aspx

Not really mentioned in the BohicaArms, but important.... if you don't get the 36" model you will need the rail kit (30MOA Sloped Rail) so your scope alignment has some chance of getting the paper at distances less than 200 yards.

I knew I needed a way to tame the recoil without butchering the Magpul stock. I wasted a lot of money. While Magpul DOES make one (I called them - no joy), it's done on a one by one basis for the Bushmaster 50, I recoil system for 1 50 BMG, so no go on that front. Shot gun recoil reduction systems would mean a lot of extra holes.

So I tried a long shot, and got lucky. I called Kick Eeze http://www.kickeezproducts.com/index.php, after explaining who would be using the firearm, the size of the firearm, and the stock, I got a return call the next day from their Operations Manager (this is one day before they are leaving for the "Shot Show"). That very day, they sent me an assortment of pads, that will be able to be trimmed for this rifle, and others we need (especially for burn victims). A BIG KUDO to this generous company!!!!!

I'm still piecing her together, but lessons learned so far:

1. Make sure your intended receiver has no extra casting features (If I remember I'll post pics of the differences)

2. Bohicaarms intended the rear pivot/retention pin to be tight (this is mentioned in their instructions, but not sufficiently in my opinion).... on mine it was toooooooo tight. Take your pin out of your existing rifle before you attempt to install it. A good very firm fit is needed, but not hammer inserted style. I ordered an assortment of pins so will let you know which one I decided on.

3. The bolt when installed has a integrated CAM and has to be installed correctly. The white piece of paper in the bolt bag is not packing... it's the instructions (dufuss).

4. Bohicaarms is a VERY VERY GOOD company customer service wise, they will listen to complaints, suggestions, and offer hints, suggestions you name it, they are also announcing a semi auto verision in the near future.

5. I've shot a few 50's in my time (commercial models), and I don't like any of the bi-pods. Their free movement from side to side is to free and loose. Yes they are designed that way, doesn't mean I have to like them that way. These rifles are too heavy, it would be nice to have to at least use a little tension to change the angle.

In closing this segment, I'm constantly amazed at the generosity of some companies. Kick Eeze wins this time hands down, they could have just sent one pad that would have done the job, but they were quick to think of the big picture and the disabilities the troops have. A very big and sincere thanks to them.

Part Two probably within a week or when when I have a seizure free day to finish putting her together (and the parts come in).

Here is what she looks like 99.0 percent complete, all the remains is the rear take town pin and recoil pad... we decided to add a night vision device, but ours have some interface problems (she wont stay still).

Attachment: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50 BMG with Night viionIMG_1887.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	276.4 KB 
ID:	276184

50 BMG with Night viion.JPG
    Last edited by edhoffer; 02-01-2010 at 01:42 PM.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=10414

Please support our Wounded Warriors!

Well I know now 100 ways how NOT to do a recoil pad. Heaven help the MAN who doesn't read instructions, but got one mounted, now just to do the final shaping. Thank you again Kick Eeze.

Getting the upper to match up with the rear take down pin is a chore, or course it's mentioned in the instructions that you might have to do a little dremel work... and of course you violate the warranty, but it now matches as tight as I can get and still able to take it down to fit in gun cases.

Regarding the Bolt adjustment, if you get one, the instructions and the printing aren't the clearest, I'd recommend you get the PDF file from them so you can see the picture clearer.

Took off the muzzle break to use a laser bore sighter to sight in the scope (indoors), so I wanted to stay dry. Should be close enough when I get to the range this weekend.

If all goes well, tommorrow should be the big day!!!!

Ed

What a BLAST!!!!

Was within 6" of the bull with the bore sighting, the blast wave was ominous, but the kick was real manageable. It's a real fun rifle to fire, if not for the expense of the ammunition.

Scope Mounting: When getting a scope, get one with the most generous eye relief you can find, and mount it a far forward as possible. Scope bite hurts.

Regarding the TASCO scope, so far with only 10 rounds fired, zero complaints, is a solid scope and acts just like a very high dollars scope should.

With the Bohicaarms system the Ammo has to be canted into to the bolt, then the bolt is fed forward, it takes some getting used to but is easy once you get the hang of if. For a simple level of operation, and a very good price I'd recommed this system to anyone.

With the 501 Kick Eeze Grind to fit pad mount fitted, it absorbed it all, and no residual arms falling off or sore spots. We hade 6 people try it all with the same response. It worked great. From "wimps to jocks" no complaints on excess recoil. Keep in mind if you use the Magpul PRS the 1 3/8 extra of the pad takes up all the adjustment so at it's minimim the LOP is right on for the normal shooter.

Now on to tinker with the front rest. We want a stable platform rest versus the bipods. The soldiers might not be able to maintain control, so we are working on ways to keep the front end somewhat stable so those with various disabilities to still have fun without frustration.

The Fun Continues

Ed

PS Pennies count, and no way no how you figure it, it will cost more than anticipated.

Excellent Rifle.But whats up with the green eyed demon cat next to it? lol

LOL Modified Night Vision if I can get the interface figured out.... she won't stay still.

Ed

Heard a rumor, will verify as soon as I can get to the source, SWFA bought out the scopes, and they are not Tasco, just the wrapping is.

I'm not the brightest light-bulb on the planet, and sometimes my skill-set goes beyond my skill-set, here are pics of the Kick Eeze 501 Pad (yes I buggered up the hole) and the scope mounted:

Attachment:
    File comment: Kick Eeze 501

Name:	IMG_1901.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	299.7 KB 
ID:	279626

Attachment:
    File comment: Left Super Sniper 18X

Name:	IMG_1902.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	279622

With the Muzzle Break, and Kick Eeze Recoil Pad even a young woman can shoot this monster with ease:

Attachment:
    File comment: Volunteer and Warrior Family Member with 50 BMG

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	279623 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	279624

One of our Wounded Warriors giving the beast a workout:

Attachment:
    File comment: Wounded Warrior and 50 BMG

Name:	IMG_1892.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	328.7 KB 
ID:	279625

As I find out more wrinkles or problems I will include them, but overall this has been a very worthwhile experience. The troops love the firearm, it shoots as advertised or better, just takes a learning curve. Again Kudo's to BohicaArms and Kick Eeze (especially for their generosity).

Ed

You're correct about SWFA and the (former) Tasco scopes. I had looked into the Super Sniper myself, albeit with a goodly amount of skepicism after I heard the word "Tasco" attached to the name. But it's advertised as being .50 BMG capable, and I've had at least one FCSA member vouch for it.

¿Quien Sabe?
    http://forums.gunboards.com/image.php?u=666&type=sigpic&dateline=1246032163

"We stacked f**ks like you 5 feet high in Korea. We used you for sandbags."

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Now who's bringing the hot wings?

I've filled my "stupid people" quota for the year. Sorry, I'm not accepting any more applications.

Well I can vouch for it now myself after a 100 rounds (4 range sessions; varied weather hot to cold and wet), it's like a timex watch it keeps on a ticking, keeps it's zero and has clear glass.

Ed

Updates:

The Scope: I wanted to find out about the scope... here is the skinny. Bushnell bought out that breed from Tasco. SWFA bought it From Bushnell and made some changes and enhancements (read durability). So it's not a Tasco (anymore), enough changes have been made to make it not so. To keep the prices down, they just kept the old packaging. (Verified from SWFA)

Loading Ammo: My issue with canting the ammo into the bolt. Well it turns out this only (if needed) has to be done the first time or two to loosen things up, after that the bolt is pushed forward with authority to slip over the rim. (Verified from Tech Support Bohica)

Upper Fit: I was offered a warranty return on my upper becasue of the upper fit in the rear pin, but since it's now a firm fit, I declined.

Bolt Coming Lose: My bolt would come loose after a bit.. which is not big deal, it's only adjusted to allow easy extraction. I had only tightened it to about 15 ft lbs. Called the manufacture, I can tighten it more, NOT gorilla tight, but it's OK to use Blue locktite as well. The big caution, over tightening (gorilla tight) can strip the threads, which is the same for any gun part. Seems they have had some gorillas put these together before who did use cheater bars and did strip the threads.. grin. (Verified from Tech Support Bohica)

Customer service for Bohica Arms: Absolutely Superb
    Customer service for Kick Eeze: Absolutely Superb
    Customer service for SWFA: Absolutely Superb

That should wrap it up for now.

Ed