Default Rankings of used .223 brass?

I spent several hours sorting through a few thousand cleaned .223 range cases. What is your reloading opinion of the following:

Lake City
    S&B
    Winchester
    WCC
    FC
    nny
    R-P

Regards.
    כד יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ. The LORD bless thee, and keep thee;
    כה יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ. The LORD make His face to shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee;
    כו יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם. The LORD lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

I reload all of the above with out trouble.
    Remember to remove the military crimps.
    I use a Dillion Super Swager.
    Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRKelley View Post
    I spent several hours sorting through a few thousand cleaned .223 range cases. What is your reloading opinion of the following:

Lake City
    S&B
    Winchester
    WCC
    FC
    nny
    R-P

Regards.

My opinion is - at the right price - I would buy them all. Please note first requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
    I reload all of the above with out trouble.
    Remember to remove the military crimps.
    I use a Dillion Super Swager.
    Gregg
    Is the military crimp the piece of the shell base that is pressed in around the primer? I have about one hundred of these and there are three of these "crimps" around each primer.
    כד יְבָרֶכְךָ יְהוָה, וְיִשְׁמְרֶךָ. The LORD bless thee, and keep thee;
    כה יָאֵר יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וִיחֻנֶּךָּ. The LORD make His face to shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee;
    כו יִשָּׂא יְהוָה פָּנָיו אֵלֶיךָ, וְיָשֵׂם לְךָ שָׁלוֹם. The LORD lift up His countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Is the military crimp the piece of the shell base that is pressed in around the primer? I have about one hundred of these and there are three of these "crimps" around each primer.
    If I understand your question right, yes. The LC, WCC and although not familiar with the nny headstamp should all be military cases that have crimped primers. The nny may have three cripmps around the primer but I believe the LC and WCC should be crimped all around the primer pocket. All of the others you list are commercial cases with no crimp. FC is Federal and RP is Remington. S&B is a European brand that should be boxer primed and reloadable. And of course you know what Winchester is. I would try them all. Just remember the military surplus is probably a little heavier case and you may need to lower your charge a little when compared to loading lighter commercial cases. Less volume capacity in the military case.
    Last edited by armyrat1970; 01-26-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Lake City crimped military primer and excellent brass
    S&B not military but I have found that these need swaging
    Winchester good looking brass but Winchester brass seems more 'brittle' to me
    WCC crimped military primer. I'm not too crazy about this brass. Seems a bit too inconsistent for my liking
    FC Federal commercial brass but I have found that many of these cases require swaging
    nny Not sure of this stuff, thought it was Prvi at one time
    R-P Remington commerical and my brass of choice!!!

Regards.
    G/L

"The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament..."

I'm starting, to suspect that I, don't know how to use commas.

Quote Originally Posted by gun_lover View Post
    G/L

Good info. But I have loaded a number of FC cases in 223 and never had a problem with tight primer pockets. But now all I have loaded was range brass and could make a difference never knowing how many times they were loaded.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

The only problem Ive ever had with 223 was with Norma brass. Its much thicker and will not hold as much powder as the other cases. I have checked the capacity of many different cases and most are very close. Shouldnt be any problem. For practice I use IMR4198 with the minimum charge that will function the gun.

I've still got a can of ammo I loaded into Vietnam era LC & RA brass over 30 years ago. Unless you have a plentiful supply of new brass with crimped primers, the benchtop swagers are just too pricey to let sit idle after you've prepped all your crimped brass. I've loaded quite a bit of military brass over the years, and have a few hundred sitting & waiting until I get around to reaming out the primer pockets - the hand reamer works amazingly quickly & for the difference in price over the swager, you can buy a lot of primers, powder & bullets instead.

S&B seems to not have the extractor grooves cut as deeply as American spec'd ammo. It's sometimes a tight fit to get into my shellholders. With .223 it'll go in with difficulty, I also load 7mm Mauser and I had to deremel my shellholder out a bit to get that S&B in.

Quote Originally Posted by izzytok46 View Post
    S&B seems to not have the extractor grooves cut as deeply as American spec'd ammo. It's sometimes a tight fit to get into my shellholders. With .223 it'll go in with difficulty, I also load 7mm Mauser and I had to deremel my shellholder out a bit to get that S&B in.
    Funny you should mention that. I have had the exact same problem with S&B 223 and 45ACP cases. Many I can't even force into my Lee shellholder. I think I've read before that RCBS shellholders work better with S&B brass. Can't remember now for sure which manufacture it was.

I've never met a S&B case that I remained friends with for long.

I throw all the RP cases I find in the trash. Most have split the necks on the first reload so I toss them as they appear.

Lake City
    S&B
    Winchester
    WCC
    FC
    nny
    R-P

Regards.
    As many has stated all of the above works good. Your choice should depend on your shooting needs. I use my AR to groundhog hunt with and to shoot for fun. I stick to two types of brass. I use Remington brass to load my hunting ammo and various GI brass for plinking. It didn't have to Remington it could have been Win. FC or whatever but for consistant accuracy it's best to use all the same. For plinking you'll do fine with any of them. I still wouldn't mix commercial and GI in the same box with the same load, but thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by dhuze View Post
    I throw all the RP cases I find in the trash. Most have split the necks on the first reload so I toss them as they appear.
    Really? I for one like RP cases and have never had a problem with them. Except some 185gr JHP, 45ACP I bought as new back around 1995 or so. Many of the cases split in the necks as you say. Maybe loaded to hot or maybe weak brass. Not sure. But I have used many RP cases with no problem in a few different calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by duze View Post
    I have never had any problem with Remington brass in any caliber. Some have been loaded several times. All brass casings will harden in the neck area and will eventually split if not annealed. I personally have found annealing to be too much of a hassle. If you neck size only you can reload a case as many times as you wish. When the necks start too split I scrap them and start a new batch. I wouldn't try neck only sizing for an autoloader though. BTW I don't throw any brass "in the trash". I got 65 cents a pound for the last bucket I took in.