Default Value of Mint 03A3 Remington?

I have an old NRA/DCM Remington 03A3 that is absolutely mint, 100% original finish and and the stock is not oiled. Looking to get a rough price to trade towards a 1911. Any ideas where to check the value or get a realistic ballpark? Gunbroker seems to be out of touch and doesn't reflect local prices. Thanks, Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00448.JPG   DSC00449.JPG   DSC00451.JPG   DSC00452.JPG   DSC00454.JPG   DSC00455.JPG  

DSC00459.JPG   DSC00461.JPG   DSC00457.JPG   DSC00434.JPG  
    Last edited by Markratz1; 01-27-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: add pics

You would need to post some pictures and provide some specific information. A truly mint (correct/original parts, totally original finish, not refinished) might go for $1000+.

How would one determine that auctions over time bringing similar prices is out of touch with market price? Would it not be that your local market is out of touch with actual value?

Words Conquer!

I suppose whatever one will pay. Auctions simply allow a larger audience and egos to get out of control, which for the seller is great!! When I make the trade, I want it to be reasonable, my friend certainly wants top dollar for his 1911s. Haven't seen anything close on-line as far as conditon yet. Will check the usual auction sites and see.

I will try to dig it out and post some photos, it certainly is in excellent conditon, was thrown in for free when I purchased a German K43 about ten years ago. I simply don't see them in that condition anymore on-line or at the shows. Try to get pics out tonight.

Thanks, Mark

"Mint condition" is a completely benign term when describing 1903A3s. Mint original versus mint as arsenal refinished is a world in price difference. MOST are refinished. These are evident with parkerized bolts, bands, buttplates and trigger guards. The originals will have all blued furniture with the barreled action being the only parkerized parts. Many late manufacture original 1903A3s went through the Ogden Arsenal after the war. While potentially untouched, the addition of an "OG" stamp will reduce maximum value. Parts have also been mismatched between Smith Corona and Remington over the years. Detailed price evaluations require detailed photos. It certainly sounds like a nice one!
    Last edited by BradB; 01-26-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Words Conquer!

Hey ignorance is a wonderful thing!! Thanks for bursting my twisted bubble. I am not a 03 man, I believe it is all parked, very good point. Need to get my Harrison Book out and check it over. So much for assumptions, guess I have some work to do tonight. I will dig it out and post pics, but I assure you it's all parked otherwise that would have stood out and I would remember that. Oh well, thats the way it goes. I will make a checklist of the parts and markings, the uniform green park and condition shut my brain off. Haven't looked at it in 8 years.

Thanks, To be continued!!

FYI

The Harrison and Poyer books are of lesser quality than the works of Wm. Brophy, Clark Campbell and Bruce Canfield. I dislike the methodology used by Harrison and Poyer, their illustrations are OK, the creation of "Type" subclassifications for components is not ok, and a complete fabrication of the authors.

...Not to mention in the case of Jesse Harrison, the "Model of" designations. 1941, 1942, etc.

in addtion to the pics it would help if you post the barrell maker and date, all or at least most of the serial number and the details of any stock markings if they are not apparent from the photos.

Can't hurt and you may be one of the lucky ones!

Regards

Jim

Crap guys!! I'm not one of the lucky ones. It's a Red River rebuild all parked. Like I say haven't looked at it in years, it is nice but not original. Barrel is 9/43 Remington, some parts are unmarked so most likely Smith- corona, rest are "R" or Remington replacement parts and marked such. I will post the pics in two or three batches, sorry about the lighting, it sucks. Has a scatch on the trigger guard and on the magazine along the edge, other than that it's nice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00421.JPG   DSC00423.JPG   DSC00428.JPG   DSC00429.JPG   DSC00436.JPG   DSC00437.JPG  

DSC00440.JPG   DSC00442.JPG   DSC00444.JPG   DSC00445.JPG  

Looks like it has been through the arsenal twice, or at least the stock has. Nice looker. Prices seem to have softened some, like most things as of late. My guess would be about $650 give or take.

The RRA (Red River Arsenal) looks fresh. I'll bet that is where the rifle was inspected before being sent to the civilian who bought it.

If you still have the box and documentation, it might be worth more than $650.

I don't have the paperwork. Bought a slew of rifles from my old supervisor before he retired about ten years ago. His Father bought the majority in the early to mid 50s. One I did get from him with the original shipping box and papers via DCM was an Underwood Carbine he bought in 1962 for $25.00 that came out of Augusta. Neat little coffin style box (375.00). He had just sold the 1911A1 at the time which sparked the conversation about a buyout.

Oh well, had higher hopes on the 03A3, going to roll it towards a 1911 trade plus cash deal if all goes well. Still a nice rifle, nice to see one in such shape, I will just keep the shooter grade one I have. On the RRA stamp the other stamp looks like "531" which I have no idea what that is. I welcome any other opinions!!

Thanks all.

The other stamp is a previous rebuild by another arsenal. It is likely your rifle was rebuilt by SSA, stored at Red River and checked by them prior to release/sale. SAA is San Antonio Arsenal... not sure what SSA is; I don't have my books here on the road. The obvious guess would be Springfield Arsenal by an inspector with S as his last name, but not sure. Not the most common stamp.

Words Conquer!

I would hold out for SSA being San Antonio Arsenal. I have seen San Antonio Arsenal stamps with CSSA and LSSA. This one might be a poor impression on the wood.

Again it all depends on if it's 100% original and then variables kick in like ME and TE. If it's arsenal refrubed it's going to detract from value. I recently paid $1,250 for a Rem 03A3 100% original, non refurbed, in the cosmo with a ME of 0.25 and a TE of 1. Blueing and park at 99% and wood at 99% with original proper cartouches present.

Nice original 03A3s are getting more difficult to find at any price... I remember when an 03A3 only garnered half what a M1903 would command. I have seen and continue to see sporterized 03A3s that were made from excellent condition original rifles.

Mark, I like your rifle. Hope it serves you well.

Thanks Deputy Dan. It really is nice, I have one with more wear that I shoot on a regular basis, this one I do not. That is why I was looking to roll it towards a nice 1911 or 1911A1 another classic. This is one I don't want to beat up. I agree on the A3, nobody paid any attention to them prior including me. Now that I have waken up, they are climbing in price. Still need a nice 03 unmonkeyed with, they are hard to find as well. All the ones at my Legion Post are rebuilds with the bores shot out. We have three M1917s they want me to sell, going to clean them up at work this week. Those are rebuilds a well with rough bores, may keep one as a shooter.