Thread: Ruger SR-556

Default Ruger SR-556

I just saw that Ruger now has a piston-operated semi auto rifle out (maybe I'm a little late in finding out?)

Anyway, people on other forums are griping about the $1500-1900 price tag.......but I mean, come on, a bone stock standard Bushmaster AR-15 is a little over $1,000.......with the Ruger you get a Ruger rifle, for one, plus it has quad rail handguards and BUIS that probably would cost a few hundred if bought seperately.

I had heard that S&W's piston operated rifle had the system made by another company and Smith just uses it in their rifle. It seems the Ruger is 100% built by Ruger.

I think some shooters hold a grudge against Ruger for that garbage that went on in the 90's, but it seems like it's a whole new company now, and they're coming out with a lot of current, innovative products that are still IMO a bargain compared to some of the other crap that's being churned out lately by other foreign companies.

In the same vein as the Mini-14, it seems the new rifle is made to attract law enforcement and civilian buyers, in equal measure. As in they won't so as some companies have done and ignore the civilian market scrambling for LE and govt. contracts. ( Colt anyone?)

Also, like Busmaster seems to be doing with the ACR, it was long awaited as the "Masada" and MagPul sold the design to Bushmaster, and now you can't find one in semi auto because they decided to go with the govt. market first.

I wish these companies would realize the most profitable market is both markets. There are a LOT of civilian shooters who are more than willing to pay $2,000+ for a good semi auto 5.56 rifle.

If the SR 556 is built to the same lack of quality standards the Mini-14 has been made to for the last 30 years, it's bound to remain overpriced, and undersold.
    Premises Guarded By Multiple Miniature Domestic House Tigers
    (1000+ Messages on old boards from way back when . . .)

I have had several mini-14's over the last 30 years and they have all been excellent quality. You have to understand them and appreciate them for what they are, a simple, reliable, utility carbine. I think Ruger tried to make them more than that when they came out with the mini-30 and the ranch rifle but I've never bothered with those variants. I'd love to have an SR 556. Despite Stan's logical points about the piston system, quad rails and buis being worth a few extra quid, themselves, I don't see the justification to blow $1900 on anything these days when basic AR-15's can be had for around $700.
    Regards, Alan K.
    Available for Cabinet level positions, consultation on matters of foreign policy, weddings and bar-mitzvahs. Will work for gold or guns.

I bought a SR556 about a month ago. I paid less than $1500 for it. It came with Troy BUIS sights, about $275.00 worth and aTroy rail foreend, about $150.00 plus 3 Mag-pul Pmags, a case, etc. I think it is a good value. Plus it is at least as well built and any other AR on the market. I shot 100 rounds of various makers military ammo through it without a hitch on the first outing. The bore and chamber are chrome lined and very slick. After a hundred rounds there was no indication in the bore it had been fired. No debris at all.

There was soot on the piston but no where else. The only thing on the bolt face was some brass color. Nothing on the bolt carrier. After one series of rounds I pulled the bolt and bolt carrier out and it had no indication of heat.

The first patch through the bore was with Barnes CR-10 to see how much jacket material was left. There was no bluish color change on that or later patches. On other rifles there will always be a few patches that have some blue color on them.

A friend bought one about a week later and has had the same results with his rifle.

Joe
    Posts plus 1500 or so.
    He who would give up liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security.

Ruger does seem to have lost a lot of their arrogance and neglect of customer complaints. I haven't seen their sales numbers but I suspect the loss of customers following Bill Ruger's support of the AGB magazine limits and the 77 and mini accuracy problems caused an upheaval at Sturm, Ruger after Bill died.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

Quote Originally Posted by IamElmerJFudd View Post
    I have had several mini-14's over the last 30 years and they have all been excellent quality. You have to understand them and appreciate them for what they are, a simple, reliable, utility carbine.

I'm pleased that at least someone has had positive experiences with the Mini-14.

Having cut my teeth on the M14, I had hoped the Mini-14 would have been a simplified variant thereof. I've had three different Mini-14 rifles spanning time from 1979 to 1998. All were in the .223 caliber. Two stainless (one a GB) and one blued. From a pure functional aspect, they were all reliable and free of malfunctions. The Garand action is simple and hard to beat.

I had one (the oldest 181 series) go back a couple of times to get the cheap cast gas block replaced after they cracked. To me, it was highly annoying having to send the rifle back to them when it would have been just as easy for me to send them the cracked gas block, them send me another one, and I could get back in business. Maybe they thought I'd put it on upside down pointing downrange - who knows.

None of the Mini-14 rifles I've had grouped any better than the average AKM type rifle. UGH!

My negative experience was not limited to the Mini-14. I've gone through several M77 Mk II bolt rifles, in .308 and .223. One was a light weight stainless, the other a more traditional chrome moly blued. Neither could come close to my M700 Remingtons in accuracy. I like the controlled feed Mauser action, but it should at least be affixed to a consistent barrel. I finally got tired of trying to find that 'special honey spot' load it would like.

For the price of the guns, reliability is one thing. If you can't get it to group, that's another.

Having said that, I have a 40+ year old 10/22 (under SN 200,000) and it has functioned flawlessly, and is a little tack driver. It will feed and shoot any kind of .22 ammo without a glitch. Same with the old Mark I pistol.

It is difficult to really get excited over anything Ruger comes out with.
    Premises Guarded By Multiple Miniature Domestic House Tigers
    (1000+ Messages on old boards from way back when . . .)

Saw one today at the local gun show, and I was impressed with the fit and finish of the rifle.

If it shoots half as good as it looks, it'd be a keeper.

I looked seriously at the RUGER but $1500.00 was best price my gun dealer could do and more than I had to spend - I chose a Bushmaster "Target" instead on sale for $799.00 [list $1095.00] plus tax!! A2 configuration - 20" match barrel, fully adj. f/r sights, sling, 30 rnd mag and hardcase. Couldn't be happier - it's proving to be a tack driver with a variety of ammo. I'm not into the "tactical" deal, was looking for a M16-A1/2 style AR-15 - so didn't need all the accessory rails and other gismo's anyway. The RUGER looks to be well made, fit and finish OK, first units sold by my dealer had to have the iron sight setups replaced due to a manufacturing issue of somesort.