Thread: The story on the Bohica FAR-50 Kaboom

Default The story on the Bohica FAR-50 Kaboom

OK, I did a lot of reading on this incident and contacted Bohica as well. Here's the story that I have distilled from all of this.

The shooter was trying some handloads in his rifle. However, he was not an experienced handloader. The rifle was chambered in .50 DTC (this was in Kalifornia) and he possibly was trying to fire-form some modified .50 BMG brass. The gun was NOT safed during the loading/chambering process. The cartridge he had inserted would not go into the chamber smoothly, and the bolt would not go into battery. He pushed/bumped the bolt handle with his right hand as he held the weapon just ahead of the bolt slot with his left, trying to force the bolt into battery. The jarring apparently caused the hammer to release and discharge the cartridge.

The case head separated and blew the bolt back, shearing off the bolt handle. Gasses blew out a relief vent on the left side of the chamber, over which vent the shooter had his left hand. The exploding gasses and shrapnel blew out through the bolt slot.

I've looked carefully at all the photos and can see no evidence of material failure. Looks to me like this was attributable to operator error, unsafe shooting practices, and possibly improper handloading procedures.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/image.php?u=666&type=sigpic&dateline=1246032163

"We stacked f**ks like you 5 feet high in Korea. We used you for sandbags."

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Now who's bringing the hot wings?

I've filled my "stupid people" quota for the year. Sorry, I'm not accepting any more applications.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSOB View Post
    the bolt would not go into battery. He pushed/bumped the bolt handle with his right hand as he held the weapon just ahead of the bolt slot with his left, trying to force the bolt into battery. The jarring apparently caused the hammer to release and discharge the cartridge.
    Any rifle that can have a firing pin strike a round while it is OUT OF BATTERY is bad news.... Operator error or otherwise, this shouldn't be able to happen. Thats just a principle of gun design...

I had heard that the early versions of this gun had a similar problem, I guess they never fixed it..

I agree - there should be (and generally is, in most guns) a failsafe that prevents that. I don't know if that issue has been addressed, I just know that I opted for a different firearm.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/image.php?u=666&type=sigpic&dateline=1246032163

"We stacked f**ks like you 5 feet high in Korea. We used you for sandbags."

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Now who's bringing the hot wings?

I've filled my "stupid people" quota for the year. Sorry, I'm not accepting any more applications.