Default .32 auto vs. .32 S&W

Found some old ammo, S&W .32. It seems larger than my .32 auto that I have used in a semi-auto PP and a S&W .32 revolver. Will the S&W .32 work in both?

No. .32 ACP and .32 S&W are not the same cartridge and are not interchangeable. The .32 ACP (AKA 7.65 Browning) is a semi rimmed cartridge for autoloading pistols, .32 S&W is a rimmed revolver cartridge. You could use the .32 S&W in a .32 S&W Long revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dan View Post
    No. .32 ACP and .32 S&W are not the same cartridge and are not interchangeable. The .32 ACP (AKA 7.65 Browning) is a semi rimmed cartridge for autoloading pistols, .32 S&W is a rimmed revolver cartridge. You could use the .32 S&W in a .32 S&W Long revolver.
    While it is always good to shoot the type of ammo that the gun was designed for, the 32 ACP can and has been shot in revolvers chambered for both 32 S&W and 32 S&W Long. As stated the 32 ACP is semi rimmed and will allow it to be shot in revolvers. This is an old remidy if you run out 0f 32 S&W's.

But there is no way you can shoot .32 SW in a .32 acp.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by 03man View Post
    But there is no way you can shoot .32 SW in a .32 acp.
    I had a friend with an old Spanish Ruby that regularly shot .32 S&W out of it. Of course, the degree to which he could hit anything was limited. The old Ruby was loose as a goose and, to say the chamber was generous was like saying the West Texas sun is a trifle warm in July.... Now that I think about it, I wonder what his widow did with the old pistol?
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

Loose would be an understatement, as .32 S&W has a rim diameter of .375, .32 ACP has a rim diameter of .358 .

My remedy for ammunition supply problems is to head to the reloading bench and get to work.
    Last edited by Deputy Dan; 01-31-2010 at 10:59 AM.

NW Arkansas. Close to the Okie line, so I can get across ahead of the tax man from Little Rock...

Quote Originally Posted by Deputy Dan View Post
    Loose would be an understatement, as .32 S&W has a rim diameter of .375, .32 ACP has a rim diameter of .358 .

My remedy for ammunition supply problems is to head to the reloading bench and get to work.
    The Ruby was built for the .32 and for the .380. Spaniard practice was just to make the beak longer and let the extractor swing enough to catch the extractor ring in either round. They weren't alone in that. Many of the 1922 Brownings would work either way with a simple change of barrel, though they generally wouldn't chamber a .32 Smith round. And among the Basques, what's fifteen thousandths among friends?
    Pistol keeps me safe.
    Shotgun keeps me fed.
    Rifle keeps me free.

I think its important to point out that using ammo in a gun it wasn't designed and chambered for can be dangerous - I know modern a S&W chambered in .32 S&W long can stand the higher pressure .32 ACP in it, but an older, top break in .32 S&W may well come apart if loaded and fired with .32 ACP.

did'nt dude know after you shoot someone with a pistol, you either throw it in the river or drop it at the local gangbangers corner?
    " Dude with a pencil is worse than a cat with a machinegun"... Bo Diddley

Oh yeah, the old "river gun"! Here are two S&W's, a .32 and a .38, river guns that never made it to the river! Both had crudely cut barrels, although the .32 had a piece of solder or something put on for a rigged up front sight, I often wondered why someone would bother with a front sight for a gun with a 1" barrel, obviously intended as an expedient pocket piece i.e. belly gun.

I sold both of them because ammo is expensive enough for these, and I couldn't at the time afford to have guns laying around just "for curios" when other stuff was calling to me!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19289p4280001.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	280547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	19289chopped38.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	280546