Gunboards Forums banner

Black Powder in Arizona?

12K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Clyde 
#1 ·
Anyone know where you can buy real black powder in AZ, Tucson and Phoenix area are easiest for me to get to. I can get
the sub's pretty easily, but I miss the real stuff. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
No, can't help you on the purchase, but don't try making your own. Two weeks ago a retired state trooper blowed himself to smithereens making his own BP. Houses were shook for over a mile away. It happened in Stanford, Ky. and you can read the article on Kentucky.com BP is pretty unstable when you have a large batch you are stiring it up. Hope ya find a few lbs.

#5 ·
No, can't help you on the purchase, but don't try making your own. Two weeks ago a retired state trooper blowed himself to smithereens making his own BP. Houses were shook for over a mile away. It happened in Stanford, Ky. and you can read the article on Kentucky.com BP is pretty unstable when you have a large batch you are stiring it up. Hope ya find a few lbs.
If it shook houses a mile away he must have been using a cement mixer full at the time.

#4 ·
The Western National Shoot for the NMLRA is coming to northern Phoenix February 10-15 at Ben Avery Shooting Range.

http://www.nmlra.org/about.asp

There will be at least two Black Powder dealers on hand with a trailer full of Goex, etc. Make sure you get there on the first day or so.

You can also stop by Rio Salado in Mesa this Sunday and shoot with the Muzzle Stuffers at 8:00am. We will be wrapped up by 12 noon. The club sells cans of 2 Fg and 3Fg Goex, Swiss, etc. 1 lb cans for $15. The club uses the extra money for shooting prizes, targets, coffee, etc.

Mark B

#6 ·
I saw the after effects of a 1 lb blank round for a reproduction Civil War cannon, when the cannon touched off when they were ramming. The guy lost his arm to his elbow, blind in one eye, and hearing drums blown out.

A few lbs of BP touching off in a confined space would rock the neighborhood and loosen the fillings.

#7 ·
When at school years ago we made Black Powder in Science class, We mixed it up in a big old Aluminium cooking pot with just enough water to make it a paste and then tipped it out on a wheat bag in the sun to dry.
It was a hoot at the end of the day when Mr. Normington set it off with some long fuse he got from the local mine.
Do the same thing to-day and and it would off to the Can for a few years.

#11 ·
The Muzzle Stuffers shot every other weekend in Mesa, AZ. Stop by anytime and we can make some smoke. The group sells black powder at the weekend shoots. There is usually a table of items for sale at the shoots as well, such as caps, powder horns, knifes, leather, etc.

Here is the Muzzle Stuffer shooting schedule: http://riosaladosportsmans.com/Divisions/BlackPowder/blackpowder.html

If anyone else is going to be in the Phoenix, AZ area during the Muzzle Stuffer shoots please drop me an email or IM. I will gladly let you use one of my BP toys if you wish to join in the fun for the day. It will only cost you a smile, grin, and a few laughs with good smoke pole folks.

#12 ·
Well, we made rocket propellant using powdered confectioner;s sugar instead of charcoal, along with flowers of sulfur and saltpeter from the drugstore - but that was c.1957-58...

The sugar-substituted "yellow powder" had a pretty good impulse, and we had two blow up with a right satisfactory "bang" on the pad, so that might work.

That said - making explosives at home (or in the chem lab at school) ain't a very good idea these days, somebody is likely to get excited.

#14 ·
You ain't kiddin! I was just reminiscing about the old days and all the FUN kids are missing out on today. :)
Ain't that the truth. And you know - we didn't burn down the house, kill each other or blow up the chem lab. And we did have a LOT of fun doing all those terribly dangerous (or so the Powers That Be would have us believe) and (now) unlawful things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.