Default Webley & Scott 1887 Mk1 .455

I recently acquired a 1887 W&S .455 revolver Ser #3690#. All matching numbers in great condtion fully funtionalable.
    The top strap in engraved "ALEX R Martin 20 Exchange Sq re Glasgow & 12 Union S #, Aberdeen, . Has W&S Webley winged bullet. Barrel has .455/476 on it. All markings clear. I understand that British officers bought their own personal sidearms.

Does anyone have any further info on this weapon or can guide me to a site. Looking for approximate value or any info at all.

thanks

There are a number of books on the market which mention this revolver, such as Bruce and Reinhart, Webley Revolvers; Maze, Howdah to High Power; Chamberlain & Taylerson, Revolvers of the British Services; or Dowell, The Webley Story. You may get a feel for its current value by doing a search under one of the sale websites to see what similar revolvers have brought in recent times (asking prices aren't the same as market values). Retailer-marked commercial guns are probably worth more than plain commercial guns, but of course condition, provenance and your location may have some bearing on this. Researching it should be the fun part of owning such a nice piece.

Thanks for the info. I have checked and found that ALEXANDER MARTIN was a maker of fine shotguns and arms retailer. also that Englush officers bought their own sidearms. so Who knows how it got to the USA.

Have not seen any of these weapons shown for sale anywhere so I have no idea of its value.

4. Default

If it is marked Mark I, and has not been altered to .45ACP, it is worth a minimum of $500. Alex Martin was bought out by Dickson in Edinburgh, but they are unresponsive to queries. Commercial MK Is in your serial number range were delivered by Webley in July 1890.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-04-2007 at 04:26 PM.

Yes it is marked Mark 1. Barrel is marked .455/.476
    Last edited by upbull336; 12-04-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add picture

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    If it is marked Mark I, and has not been altered to .45ACP, it is worth a minimum of $500. Alex Martin was bought out by Dickson in Edinburgh, but they are unresponsive to queries. Commercial MK Is in your serial number range were delivered by Webley in July 1890.
    You are a bit out of date on the price. an unshaved Webley brings a lot more than $500 these days.

If it does not have a broad arrow property mark I doubt that is is an 1887 revolver. the Mk1 was first offered for sale to the general public at the Army & and Navy Cooperative Stores in London in March 1890 priced at 105 shillings
    Over 40,000 Mk1 Webley service revolvers were produced before it was replaced by the MkII
    while the Mk1 was sealed on 8 November 1887, it was not officialy approved until 31 january 1890

8. Default

As a commercial MK I, marked with a retailer's name, a winged bullet and 455/476 it would not likely carry a broad arrow. I think this gentleman is using 1887 as a model designation, rather than the year of manufacture. I've never seen that appellation used to describe a MK I, but it does make some sense when I think about it. If we used the date of design, it would help differentiate between MK III .455s and MK III .38 S&Ws, etc. When you look through A&N CSL records this presents a real problem. since they were fond of using "s. Unless you notice the caliber at the top of the page, its very easy to get confused.

Joel is correct. I am using the 1887 designation as a model designation as I do not know when it was made. This is why I came to this excellent site for help. The responses really help. The weapon DOES NOT have the broad arrow on top or anywhere. I will load some Pic's of it to help ascertain is value and any other info. As soon as I figure out how to do it. I will probably have to ask my teenage daughter for help.

Can E mail the pic's to anyone who wants them. I am [email protected]
    Last edited by upbull336; 12-06-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: add photo

10. Default

This is Greg's revolver:

Nice old revolver, it does appear to have a "shaved" cylinder though.

Default Shaved Cylinders et al

I have a Mk VI with a shaved cylinder and a Mark III and Webley Target Model with unaltered cylinders. I bought a spare cylinder for the Mark VI and hope it will fit--someone wrote about a replacement cylinder not allowing his Mark VI to close. Heaven forbid! It was a terrible thing to alter those cylinders for .45 ACP! We all know the rationale, but the Webleys weren't designed for the pressures of the .45 ACP, not even the Mark VI. It's a tribute to their engineering and materials that they've held up so well. I'd like to see someone start making replacement cylinders for these fine revolvers. It's being done for replica percussion firearms--converting them to cartridge types. I'm hoping some enterprising machinist will undertake this task--and that the resulting cylinders will be of the requisite alloys and heat treatments.

Default Webley Mark 1 .455 Naval.

Recently I acquired an original Mark 1 Webley .455 revolver S/N 3385#, matching numbers throughout and has not gone through the upgrades. Condition is 97% with the top strap engraved showing the giant broad arrow.

Does anyone have any further info on this weapon with regards to the date of manufacture. The seller stated 1888 to 1890 the last time I spoke with him though he was not sure due to lack of information.

Are there any recommended web sites where I may search?

Cheers
    Herb Rogers

herb , there are no better web site sources - you have just read entries by the most knowledgable on these , having said that the broad arrow on the top strap is a service mark and you most likely have a navy revolver - although the more knowledgable may correct that ,

it is definetly an antique[pre 1898] and we would be better able to help with photos , how does it compare to the photos above ?