Thread: Ww11 lyman alaskan sniper scope correct????

Default Ww11 lyman alaskan sniper scope correct????

On one of the web sites they are posting a so called lyman alaskan sniper scope they are selling. They claim that it is the early type used. As the first sniper scope delivered to the goverment in 1943-1944. Having full commercial markings with the addition of a serial number in the b- series under 7,000. And no sunshades..
    The also state the it tells about the early issued lyman alaskan scope in the book the pictorial history of us. Sniping. By peter r. Senich. I have this book abd they really so not say much about the b-series.
    I also have a paper from the old shotgun news from sarrco add selling this type of scope as a original early issues sniper scope without the sunsheild, but comes with the original rubber eyeguard price was $225.00.
    Can anyone add to this?? If it is a original early scope it would be nice to add to the collection
    regards
    mr haney

No Lyman Alaskans were delivered in 43 or 44. had they been they would almost certainly have been used on the M1903A4. The Alaskan was militarized as the Telescope, M73. plans were in fact made to use it on the A4 and over 36,000 were ordered. Unfortunately Lyman's long standing lens supplier, Bausch and Lomb, was busy with other war work and was not in a position to furnish lenses to Lyman until somewhat later - more like early 1945. the M73's were used on the first M1C sniper rifles. However, the M73 scope was quickly modified to the M81 (added sunshade and rubber eye shield) and then the M82 (Post reticle, sunshade and eyeshield).

I wish i had more details but i believe the procurement of commercial Alaskans may actually date to the Korean War period. By then prodcuction was back to normal. In WW2 lyman didn't have 7 or 8 thousand scopes sitting around.

More than likely an old Alaskan came off someone's hunting rifle.

Included is a page from a 1943 TM which is the only picture i have been able to locate of an Alaskan on an M1903A4. It was certainly planned bbut it just never happened. Also note theri is a mistake in the caption. It reads "M73B1" it should read "M73" the "M73B1" was the militarized Weaver 330C.

Regards,

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032.jpg  

Like Jim said, most of the time it is just someone trying to pass off a commercial Lyman Alaskan as military issue. Here are some pictures of an early Lyman Alaskan that was used as a M73 then re-marked as an M81.

Cass
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix1030115953.jpg   pix1030115656.jpg   pix1030115906.jpg   pix1030115703.jpg   pix1030115812.jpg   pix1030115843.jpg  

I agree that it is more likely that any Alaskan without military markings is most likely not military. I have heard for years that commercial Alaskans in the b serial block were procured by the military and used on some early M1C's. The amount of unknown and/or unproven information on US scope procurement in WW2 is most baffling. The safest route is to insure that the scope is properly marked and period correct. Anything else will always be suspect.

To jim, cass, and mike

thanks for you help about the b- series lyman alaskan scope i keep in mind what you guys have said. I will only look for the ones marked.
    Regards
    bob

in the Fall 2004 Garand Collectors Association Journal, there is a good article on M81 and M82 scopes. In that article there is a brief section on the Lyman Alaskans and mentions an order of 3,000 Lyman Alaskans ordered in 1951 for the Korean War. They are believed to have been used on M1C's. They mention a few cases of B prefix Lyman Alaskans on documented rifles. One was on an M1D sold by the CMP that had the scope in a sealed bag with the M84 crossed out, so some were definitely in military service.

Cass

Hi cass,
    i have heard for years my self about the b-series being used on the mic sniper rifle, but there is not much out there written about it. But if it has been documented , i would like to have a copy of the g.c.a.j.. I would pay for the copy.
    Regards
    bob

Bob:

I sent you a PM.

Cass