Thread: MAK 90 threaded Barrel

Default MAK 90 threaded Barrel

I had always understood that MAK 90 barrels were machined down so that the threads were gone or too small to use on a supressor,so never really thought about a muzzle device on mine.Yesterday I was cleaning my MAK and looked closely at the muzzle.I put a caliper on it and it measured 14 MM.Then I looked at it with a magnifying glass.(I need this because I'm old)It looks like I somehow have a barrel with intact threads,and just never realized it.A little damaged,but should clean up enough to mount a flash suppressor.What type of suppressor is "correct" for the rifle? I may or may not want to go through 922R hoops,but I would like the option of at least a thread protector.

Some look like threads but not, only from turning it down and Maks had larger barrels than some AK's.
    In the Hard Woods up North.

No threads on mine.Even if there were some present,the small amount of barrel length ahead of the sight base would preclude any kind of secure mount.
    Clark
    Secession is looking better every day.

Mine came w/ a threaded muzzle. It was a Glinc import, and was made on a receiver set up for a underfolding stock. The holes were plugged, but the threaded muzzle was left untouched. It was a Federal Arms MAK90 that they had for a long time for 179.00. They used to always advertise them in the Shotgun News. Some MAKs were caught in the limbo period and came in with some of the EVIL features.

The diameter sounds correct at 14mm (.555" =/-) but if you need glasses to see the threads then either you really do have poor vision or as noted, the barrel is not turned down but has residual lathe marks from original machining. The threads should be very obvious and easily felt and seen. Dunno.,?
    In any caee the measurement is correct for threading 14/1 LH. The rifle should have a slant brake., but as yoiu note the 922r rules do apply once you start the process. Is it a thumbhole stock?

They used differing methods to disable the threads on preban guns released as post bans. They welded nuts over the threads (get the parts count in line, cut the welds and unscrew the cap). some were knurled over and left on the rifle (I've bee able to screw down a muzzle brake over the knurling and get the threads back) or turning them off completely (can't do much with this other then rethread 1/2-28). Maybe yours were knurled over or had the cap someone removed.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you