Default Head space on 8MM Mauser

Looking for someone in NE Nebraska that check headspace on 8MM 98 Mauser and overall condition. This gun has a few bubbas done to it. It looks good to me. Has bent handle, a little surface rust, rear sight removed and 2 piece Redfield mount. Don't think I can go wrong for 200 bucks. What do you think?

Mauser shot below the 40th parallel in northern California

If you can't close the bolt on a round, you'll have to take it to a gunsmith for alteration. But if you can close on a round, just take it to the range and put a very heavy jacket over the breech and over the end of the bolt and fire off a round at the ground out about 50 meters (as you're wearing safety glasses). Inspect the spent brass for pressure signs. If it's good, it's good. If it blows out the brass, the jacket will protect you.

CDFingers
    I'm one of the rifles behind every blade of grass.

Quote Originally Posted by CDFingers View Post
    If you can't close the bolt on a round, you'll have to take it to a gunsmith for alteration. But if you can close on a round, just take it to the range and put a very heavy jacket over the breech and over the end of the bolt and fire off a round at the ground out about 50 meters (as you're wearing safety glasses). Inspect the spent brass for pressure signs. If it's good, it's good. If it blows out the brass, the jacket will protect you.

CDFingers
    Buy a gauge.

...OR,

Spend $17 on a FIELD gage and check it yourself.

Link:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...880&t=11082005
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you understand?

If you want to be cheap and take the risk, use the jacket method or have someone you don't like test it for you. Otherwise buy a FIELD gauge. And a good set of calipers. They'll be useful eventually. Save the shipping and get them both at once.

There are three types of gauges: Go, no-go, field. A commercial rifle should close on the go gauge and not on the no-go. A military rifle usually uses the field gauge as the limit for closing: If it closes on that, headspacing is excessive. All you need to see if your rifle is safe is the field gauge. If headspacing is too tight, it won't close on the ammo you have. If it's too loose, it won't close on the field gauge.
    Last edited by Comrade Antibiotika; 12-04-2007 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Antibiotika View Post
    If you want to be cheap and take the risk, use the jacket method or have someone you don't like test it for you. Otherwise buy a FIELD gauge. And a good set of calipers. They'll be useful eventually. Save the shipping and get them both at once.

There are three types of gauges: Go, no-go, field. A commercial rifle should close on the go gauge and not on the no-go. A military rifle usually uses the field gauge as the limit for closing: If it closes on that, headspacing is excessive. All you need to see if your rifle is safe is the field gauge. If headspacing is too tight, it won't close on the ammo you have. If it's too loose, it won't close on the field gauge.

Too loose and it will close

IMHO we make a big deal about headspace because we can measure it with a guage. I prefer to shoot and inspect the inside of the case for an annular gulley just above the base. Even if the case doesn't blow out the presence of that gulley indicates the brass is stretching too much and headspace is excessive with that ammo. Regardless of what the guage says.
    Anyway, chances of you getting hurt by a burst case, assuming you wear eye protection, are pretty slim in a 98 mauser type or any other rifle with gas vents and shielding. The worst casulty I've heard of was a friend who lost the tip of his moustache.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

I asked my gunsmith about a recently purchased 98 concerning
    head space and whether safe to fire and he said put the rifle on
    the ground and pull trigger with string a few shots and then
    compare the overall length of the shot casings with
    unfired casings that have had bullets pulled.

Would anyone agree or disagree with that as a technique ?

Easier to buy a No-Go gauge. I would not rely on the casings. What if you shot Yugo, and the case split? Would you trash the rifle? If you would have ordered one a week ago, you would have it by now...and would be ok. Geesh, I sound like my old man...sorry.
    Next SHOOT?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=11325

Join the Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois target shooters.