Gunboards Forums banner

Got bored......Glock 17 barrels in 9x18 Makarov

19K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  BigDans 
#1 ·
Few weeks ago, I read on a website out of Belgium, company has made a 9x18 Makarov conversion for the Glock 17 pistol. Uses Standard Glock 9mm magazines. Contacted them to see if they would sell to the USA, heard back this morning, they say not interested at this time.

Just for S&G I contacted a Barrel maker here in the USA who makes Glock barrels, to see if they would be interested in such a project, they just wrote back and said they would look into it and see if they could produce a prototype.

There question is, how many people off hand would be interested in something like this ? Would be made to fit
the Glock 17, but would also work in the G19 (would extend past the end of the slide) Any Glock 9mm mags would work, so you could have a 17rd or even a 33rd 9x18 Pistol.

-George

#8 ·
Their conversion kit consists of just a drop-in barrel - no change of the springs is mentioned.

They also say that it uses a standard magazine with no modifications.

However, they do say the following:
The standard Glock 9x19 mm magazine sets a little bit out in thickness during filling. This is caused by the bigger dimensions of the 9.22 mm bullet of the 9x18 caliber. This has not caused significant problems. The feeding of the cartridges works fine, only it is a lit bit difficult to put the thicker magazine in the Glock pistol. The empty magazine comes back to normal dimensions.

#10 ·
You missed the part about special hotter ammunition (that accounts for recoil spring) that uses longer heavier bullet that brings the cartridge OL to that of 9x19 which means that you can use regular Glock magazines (that accounts for reliable feeding from original magazines). Without that ammunition you have a paperweight.

#11 ·
In both the video and on the website, they use regular 9x18 and their new cartridge. They even say you can intermix the two in the same mag without problem. Their marketing position is to make a "modern pistol" (their term not mine) that can use existing stocks of 9x18. I don't believe it will be a paperweight but the proof is always in actually trying it.

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
Glock makes a pistol in .380 , the G25 & 28, but they don't sell them in the US market.
It would be interesting to see how close the G25 is to the 9mm models.

Some time back I picked up a nice used G19 at a good price , I'm not a big fan of the tupperware frames, but this one won't be going anywhere soon.

Just for S&G I would be willing to give a 9x18 conversion barrel a try in the G19.

#17 ·
I should have read a little more before posting the above, :sorry:
From the PTOOMA Productions, The Complete Glock Reference Guide:
The G25/28 in .380 uses a modified blow back operation ( ramps on the barrel and slide) and also uses a unique magazine with a latter type spacer at the rear of the magazine.

So now I wonder about how useful a 9x18 conversion would be on a G17/19 ?

#21 ·
Neat concept. I'll be interested to see how it comes out. Not interested for myself at this time, but always interested in things 9x18.

My Glock 17 is my ugliest pistol. I hate it, and I love it. I shoot it better than any pistol I own except for one pet EG, and the two are close. The 17 feels funny to me (points at the sky), and goes bang every time it should. With the Galco shoulder rig, I only have 52 rounds available without stuffing more mags. I carry it if a jacket is doable and I am going places I'd rather not go. If I find another Glock at a good price, I might be interested in the conversion barrel.

George, thanks for bringing this up. CB

#22 ·
It's an intriguing idea, but I'd rather see a small polymer .380 (Ruger LCP, Kel-Tec P3AT, the new Walther .380, etc) increased in power to 9x18. I'd rather keep using 9x19 in my guns which are already 9x19. A lightweight pocket pistol that fires 9x18 would be pretty sweet.

#24 ·
A glock 17 / 19 in 9x18 would be 20% less powerful and more controlable. In addition those who feel the 9mm Luger over penetrates would be more comfortable with the 9x18 since it has less penetratin power than the 9mm luger. Ammo is about the same price, and more readily available than 9mm luger at times. I personally would like the option to shoot either out of my G19, and since a barrel and or spring swap out is so easy it would seem to be a natural.

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.