Default Bayonet display ideas

I have been trying to come up with a way to display my bayonets and knives and was wondering if anyone out there had some good ideas and pics to share. I don't like keeping them in a box all the time, kinda defeats the purpose of collecting. thanks .

Here's what I have, at least for my favorites, that don't fit well in boxes. 2x4s (cut in half lengthwise) with removable pegs. Hanging bayonets by the muzzle ring like this gives much denser storage, it only takes about 1.5 inches of wallspace per bayonet. As a bonus there is room behind the bayonets for whatever you like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN6339.JPG   DSCN5744.JPG   DSCN5745.JPG  

These are hung from frogs in pairs on pegboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bayonets 5.JPG   Bayonets 6.JPG  

I use three different methods. The pegboard requires custom hooks, made from heavy copper wire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 315.jpg   Picture 313.jpg   Picture 310.jpg  

I like my way, even if it's somewhat daunting.
    Turk Pr0n!

I have written a novel. Science fiction alien-invasion set in 1908 Russia. You should buy a copy!

Vaarok,

You gave me an idea for a wind chime I can tolerate

Default Bayonet display

Here is how I have mine displayed, Plywood covered with felt, and a border. each bayonet supported by small finish nails and the scabbards by a small loop or wire around the frog loop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0003 (600 x 450).jpg   MVC-003S.JPG   MVC-002S.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarok View Post

tHIS HANGS OVER THE HEAD OF YOUR BED?

Those are some seriously great ideas for display. Simple but very effective. I really like those broomhandles and the medieval weapons, are they real or reproduction? either way they are really cool. Vaarok, I know I'd run into those at some point (no pun intended) during the night. thanks guys for the pics, they give me some great ideas for my display, I really appreciate you guys sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by N White View Post
    Here's what I have, at least for my favorites, that don't fit well in boxes. 2x4s (cut in half lengthwise) with removable pegs. Hanging bayonets by the muzzle ring like this gives much denser storage, it only takes about 1.5 inches of wallspace per bayonet. As a bonus there is room behind the bayonets for whatever you like.
    I really like this idea. Looks great. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ncbayo View Post
    Those are some seriously great ideas for display. Simple but very effective. I really like those broomhandles and the medieval weapons, are they real or reproduction? either way they are really cool. Vaarok, I know I'd run into those at some point (no pun intended) during the night. thanks guys for the pics, they give me some great ideas for my display, I really appreciate you guys sharing.
    The "medieval weapons" are actually WWI vintage, "trench clubs". I also have several axes of the period, used in trench raids.

Quote Originally Posted by trenchwarfare View Post
    The "medieval weapons" are actually WWI vintage, "trench clubs". I also have several axes of the period, used in trench raids.
    Sorry but I have to step in on this one. Trench, that is fascinating. Never heard of those before.

Hello Gents,

By preference, I display as many bayonets as possible on the muzzles of the rifles they were issued with! When I ran out of room to dress all my blades in this fashion, I solved the problem relative to my own needs with frogs suspended from decorative kitchen size curtain rods. They work great.

Here are some shots taken of both methods showing various displays around the museum.

Hope this helps!.......Enjoy!

Warmest regards,

JPS

PS - The rods were hung with a level and only appear bent due to the lens of the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 98A grouping w bayonets - angled view.jpg   98A grouping w bayonets - front view.jpg   German WWI Bayonets - Section 3 - 2 Reduced.JPG   German WWI Bayonets - Section 1 - Alt View 1R.JPG   German WWI Bayonets - Section 1 Reduced.JPG   Collection - Updated 5-9-06 Gew 88 Bayonets R1.JPG  

German bayonets 03 1R.jpg   German bayonets 4 R1.jpg   Italian Bayonet Display 01.jpg   Misc Bayonets 01.jpg  

Most of my small collection is mounted on the appropriate rifle; but I also like field gear. These are my 2 favorites, mounted like they would be worn in service in conjunction with the E-tool carriers. The one on left is a period Bulgarian straight shovel in its post-war carrier; right is an original 1942-dated klappspaten in a repro 2d model carrier. Bayonet left is a matching 1938 MUNDLOS vet bring-back in its original frog; right is a mismatch 1938 Alex Coppel. They're simply slipped over my curtain pole-rod!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E Tools 001.jpg  

Here's what I came up with a few years back. I found some shadow boxes on sale at Michael's craft store locally- they came with the plexiglass in them already. I bought a few hasps and got a package of small locks, and mounted the hasps over where the plexiglass slides out- not as secure as Fort Knox, but it does keep unwanted hands off the blades. The backings on the shadow boxes were pretty thin, so I beefed them up a little bit, laid the bayonets out in each one where I wanted them, marked points for each on the backing, and installed brass hooks. My bayonet collection has expanded a little since then, but thankfully a good majority of the bayonets I have are of similar dimensions and I didn't have to move the hooks around when I took some out and added new ones. It doesn't give me enough space to display all my blades any more, so the more common ones and the doubles and scabbards are stored away. These have worked well for me, and even allow enough space inside to display a few additional accessories. I wanted to make one more, but the Michael's by me doesn't have this exact style box any more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bayonets1.JPG   bayonets3.JPG   bayonets2.JPG   bayonets4.JPG  

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

I prefer the old fashioned display..., oh, that's the dog's bed below. He guards them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_1908.JPG  
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

"Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

I used that method for a while, Mike. Unfortunately I ended up having so many in the drawer I was not confident in the dresser's continued survival! Yours looks to be a stouter build than mine was.

"Upsate" New York - The Finger Lakes Region

Quote Originally Posted by N White View Post
    I used that method for a while, Mike. Unfortunately I ended up having so many in the drawer I was not confident in the dresser's continued survival! Yours looks to be a stouter build than mine was.
    Well, for now..., it's probably older than most of the bayonets, but it's pretty dicey when opening it. The KS98 is matched to the African Kaiserliche Schutztruppen, really deserves better. Great ideas in the thread though. One of these days.....

- Best Regards! Mike
    "Plunk your magic twanger Froggy!" - Andy Devine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pPFCjRPvM

"Where does the mind end and the world begin?"

Some really terriffic displays and display ideas. Afraid mine started out organized and went downhill from there. Kept the German Bayonets, Daggers and Dress bayonets seperate, along with Japanese and U.S., but "Other Countries" pretty jumbled. Almost ashamed to show off, after seeing what others have done!! Enjoy, Skid

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-015F.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	286663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-014F.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	286662Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-011F.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	286661Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-012F.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	286660Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-010F.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	286659Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVC-013F.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	286658

Quote Originally Posted by sssniper View Post
    Almost ashamed to show off, after seeing what others have done!! Enjoy, Skid
    Neat & tidy or not, I don't think you need to be ashamed of showing off that collection.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    I prefer the old fashioned display..., oh, that's the dog's bed below. He guards them!
    Mike, I think we've all used that display method at one time or another. But please, put them in old socks, to keep them from getting banged up.

This is what i did with mine.I found this old shadow box at a rummage sale and wired them to a piece of vinyl wraped peg board.Attachment 288011Attachment 288010

I've been using flat files, like you would use for blueprints, for years. Drawers are about 1-1/2" deep and work great for laying out bayonets in a single layer in the drawer. They come sized for 24"x36" prints or there's a larger size for the 30"x42".

the flat files are great - and a lot of engineering/architectural firms have been divesting themslves of these in this age of digital storage , you can often have them for simply picking them up ,

that said i only collect what fits my rifle collection , that is how i found this realm of collecting and thus mine stand with the rifle and their scabords in my displays - this will all change when i no longer have this office , i dont have this kind of space at home ,

what i keep of my collection when i retire will have to fit in a closet and i hope i can keep them fixed -

My small collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG342822..jpg   CIMG3430_edited-11.jpg  

Hello No Limits, we know this is not small collection, a part of greater,haha. best regards,Andy

suqare 10,

Very handsome display! Wonderful collection, excellently mounted - I could only wish for all of it : collection, cabinets, and room to display!

Thanks for sharing.

This is my display

Quote Originally Posted by Vaarok View Post

The bayonets of Damocles, er - Vaarokceles!
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Gudnuff, NoLimits, JPS, Brian C, Trenchwarfare & A Square 10 are winners. The rest of you ....not so much.

thedoowopkid, didn't realize this was a contest or we were going to be critiqued. Thought it was more for fun & how we displayed our treasures. By the way, did I miss "your" pictures ? Skid

Right now I don't really have much room for a display, so my Japanese Type-30 bayonets are on a desk and I have a couple tupperwares full of Siamese and some Finnish, British, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0487.JPG   IMG_0488.JPG  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rack pics 003.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	426337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rack pics 002.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	426336Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rack pics 001.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	426335Just got the last coat of poly on this one Sunday. A dozen more of these and some wall space, and it might look pretty good.
    Tom

[QUOTE=JPS;1234565]Hello Gents,

By preference, I display as many bayonets as possible on the muzzles of the rifles they were issued with! When I ran out of room to dress all my blades in this fashion, I solved the problem relative to my own needs with frogs suspended from decorative kitchen size curtain rods. They work great.

Could you hunt down Bubba and use the cut off 6 or 8" of barrel, lug and forend.

Just mount them on a 2x4 and attach the bayonet.