1. Default L42A1 Sniper with I.R.

I just recently picked up this rifle along with the I.R. Scope from a collector that purchased back in the 80's. Trying to find out some info on the scope, batteries etc. Also in search of the cleaning tool/lens bottle to complete the kit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0143-1.jpg   PICT0131-1.jpg   PICT0130-1.jpg  

Thumbs up L42A1 Sniper with I.R.

The scope is worth more than the rifle. I have the rifle and mount, but not the scope and have never seen one before this. (the IR scope) MJ probably knows about them as well as Brian Dick. If you ever decide to part with the scope, let me know...

Oh dear...please tell me you had to pay "an arm and a leg" for this rig...or I'm going to cry! That is nice rig!

Beautiful collector's piece..... congratulations....

Our recent November 2007 Featured Milsurp Knowledge Library Entry of the Month was based around the L42A1...

I think you're right and the only thing your missing to complete the kit is the lense cleaning brush and case, shown in our photo montage for the entry above. There are also manuals which would have been in the chest, which I think you can get new reprints from "longrangesniper" on this board.

(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Regards,
    Badger
    Last edited by BadgerDog; 12-05-2007 at 06:37 AM.

Badger, L42A1 question. Where on the receiver is the "19T" proof located? Thanks, Gary

Quote Originally Posted by arado View Post
    Badger, L42A1 question. Where on the receiver is the "19T" proof located? Thanks, Gary
    I've never looked close at them, but that's a good question. The Enfield collection is my wife's. I'm a K98k Mauser guy.

She's got two L42's in her collection, so I'll have to get them out and have a look. We're in the process of building a house and moving, so it may take me a bit of time to do this.

According to article "The Last Lee-Enfield" by Daniel Cotterill....

All L42A1s had undergone a rigorous reproofing procedure to ensure their safe operation with the newer and more powerful 7.62 mm round. The proof mark "19T" in company with crossed flags can be found on the bolt handle, bolt head and receiver of all genuine L42A1s. It indicates that those components withstood a proof pressure of 19 tons per square inch
    Regards,
    Badger
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19t.jpg   19T-2.jpg  
    Last edited by BadgerDog; 12-05-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Default Scope

That scope looks alot like a PVS-1 (predecessor to the pvs-2) scope. I think the brits used a modified version of it called the trilite scope. It is a triple staged cascade type scope, one of the best examples of Gen1 scopes.

Does it work/power up?

IIRC, the pvs-1 used the same batteries a pvs-2 scope. The main differences were that the PVS-1 had internal adjustments while the PVS-2 had external adjustments. Also the power supply for the PVS-1 was a more primitive ossicaltor type and it had no Auto brightness protection/adjustment. I think the british units were fairly similar to the PVS-1
    Last edited by harlikwin; 12-05-2007 at 01:11 PM. Reason: more info

Very very nice rig Thanks for the pics.
    What has our country become? More takers than givers.

9. Default I.R. Scope numbers

Here is the numbers on the scope, also a picture of British Sniper with the same scope and the stampings on the rifle and bolt of the 19T. The rifle looks almost unished after is was rebuilt from a No4t to the current L42A1. Again looking for some input in finding the missing lens cleaning bottle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IWS_mount_for_L42A1.jpg   PICT0137-2.jpg   PICT0145-2.jpg   PICT0156-2.jpg   PICT0157-2.jpg   PICT0142-2.jpg  

10. Default Batteries

Hey Harwlik, The scope works really good and all the batteries seem to work as well but Im sure they have a shelf life!!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey Harwlik, The scope works really good and all the batteries seem to work as well but Im sure they have a shelf life!!
    Well one thing I would do is to figure out the voltage of the batteries, so that in the future, you can either try to replace them or jury rig something. If its not on the batteries, I'd just take it to an electronics store (or if you have a potentiostat/tester and have them tell you how many volts/amps etc its putting out) The literature I have on the IWS site says it took 6.75 volt batteries. Which sounds about right for gen1 devices in general.

Also, can I ask you about the finish on the rifle. From the pictures it looks different than most L42's I've seen, it looks like it has been parkerized, is that right? Or is it suncorite paint as I've been told?
    Last edited by harlikwin; 12-06-2007 at 10:03 AM.

12. Default Description

Only the bolt, barrel and butt tang and triger assembly has the finish that looks to me like parkarizing. It looks like it was sprayed on, because when I pulled the bolt out it looks like overspray halfway up it. The rest of the rifle is real clean and finished from the original manufacture. The stock is real clean and has the normal dings and scratches but doesnt look like it was refinished, and all the stampings in the wood look good with no indication of the stock ever been sanded and refinished. the pictures really make the rifle look like its never been issued, but up close you can tell that it has some wear. Otherwise the rifle looks to be in very good condition, if it has been issued, it hasnt been abused or in service very long. I never really noticed until now, but the magazine has the same serial number as the rifle. The batteries are 7.0v DEF DTSN 61 - 3 Supplement 89, NATO No 6135-99-551-1147 manufactured by E.R.S.B.with a few of them dated back to 1993. I did have to throw a couple of batteries out that were really bad, dated back in the 70's.

Only the bolt, barrel and butt tang and triger assembly has the finish that looks to me like parkarizing. It looks like it was sprayed on, because when I pulled the bolt out it looks like overspray halfway up it. The rest of the rifle is real clean and finished from the original manufacture. The stock is real clean and has the normal dings and scratches but doesnt look like it was refinished, and all the stampings in the wood look good with no indication of the stock ever been sanded and refinished. the pictures really make the rifle look like its never been issued, but up close you can tell that it has some wear. Otherwise the rifle looks to be in very good condition, if it has been issued, it hasnt been abused or in service very long. I never really noticed until now, but the magazine has the same serial number as the rifle. The batteries are 7.0v DEF DTSN 61 - 3 Supplement 89, NATO No 6135-99-551-1147 manufactured by E.R.S.B.with a few of them dated back to 1993. I did have to throw a couple of batteries out that were really bad, dated back in the 70's.
    Yeah ERSB was the originial manufacturer of the IWS and the trilite series of sights. Let me know if you have any questions as to zeroing the sight as I have at least pieces of a manual around here somewhere for it.

Can I ask where you actually got the rifle/sight? I'm a collector of night vision gear and I've only seen one or two examples of of the british stuff anywhere in the US, and I'm told its generally pretty rare.
    Last edited by harlikwin; 12-06-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arado View Post
    Ok, I had some time on my hands today, so I dragged out my wife's two L42A1's from her collection. One was a very early 1971 conversion, while the other was a very late in the genre 1979 conversion. It's interesting to see the changes in the markings and other conversion items over that 8 year time span.

Here's the pics and you can see they marked the "19T" and "crossed flags" clearly on the early 1971, exactly as Cotterill's article stated. However, note how they got a little "loose" at the end of the run some 8 years later, so although I think his article is generally accurate, his definitive statements about the "19T" and "crossed flags" aren't necessarily gospel and valid across the entire span these rifles during conversions. Note: That conclusion is just my personal opinion.

1971 L42A1 Enfield Sniper Rifle

(Click PIC to Enlarge)(Click PIC to Enlarge)

1979 L42A1 Enfield Sniper Rifle

(Click PIC to Enlarge)(Click PIC to Enlarge)

Hope this helps...

I'll be updating our Milsurp Knowledge Library entry for the L42A1 to reflect these feedback additions.

Regards,
    Badger
    Last edited by BadgerDog; 12-06-2007 at 05:06 PM.

15. Default

The scope came with the rifle, the collector picked it up from a good friend who passed away back in the early 80's, along wih a few other items. He had a hard time parting with it, but everything has a price.

The scope came with the rifle, the collector picked it up from a good friend who passed away back in the early 80's, along wih a few other items. He had a hard time parting with it, but everything has a price.

Is this in the US?

17. Default Rifle Purchase

Yes, Texas or Oklahoma

Badger, Thanks for the information...Gary

Great outfit, super condition.
    03man - Don Voigt
    Author of "The Japanese T99 Arisaka Rifle" 2010 edition
    Co-author of "The Knee Mortars of Japan 1921-1945" 2011 edition
    Near Charlotte, NC

Default L42A1 User Handbook

As Badger mentioned - I have a few remaining reprints of the L42A1 User Handbook. $30 inclusive of airmail postage. Sorry pic is a bit blurred. Comes with a laminated aide memoire for adjustment of No.32 and L1A1 scopes, clicks between ranges in yards and metres.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails L42A1booklet.jpg  

To my knowledge, these rifles weren't available for purchase in the 1980s, in the US or anywhere else. Your friend probably bought it around 1994 when the MoD released a few hundred for sale.
    ATB,
    Husk

22. Default

Quote Originally Posted by husk View Post
    To my knowledge, these rifles weren't available for purchase in the 1980s, in the US or anywhere else. Your friend probably bought it around 1994 when the MoD released a few hundred for sale.
    ATB,
    Husk

That explains why the batteries are dated 1993

What a killer rig. Really nice!
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

24. Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    What a killer rig. Really nice!
    Thanks You!!