Question VZ24 "C" series from 1937 *** Pix Added Today ***

Hi
    I have just gotten a near mint 1937 Czech VZ24 from a vets wife. As expected there are no import marks and the rifle is just about flat new with 98% blue and a perfect bore and bolt race is in the white. Some patina on the butt plate and bolt knob.Stock is marked with C457xx. Stock is perfect with no sanding just old light original varnish finish. No sling. No Jap markings and no Czech proof markings.
    I have researched this and it seems to be a Japanese contract rifle. Can anyone shed more light on this rifle or the Czech/Jap contract in general and or where these rifles were located. Seems odd that 8mm VZ24 rifles would be used by a Army using 6.5 or 7.7mm weapons.
    Other than a 1937 mint VZ24, just what do I have here?
    Last edited by RH Scott; 02-20-2010 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Pictures added to post
    "It is not the number of rounds you fire or the noise that you make, it is the hits that count." Lewis B. Puller Jr., USMC

I'm not going to be much help, but I have a "P" prefixed 1937 vz24 that was also supposed to be those used or made for the Japanese, just like, from what I understand the 1937 marked rifles with a "C" prefix on the stock serial number. I wrote a post about mine awhile back, and here is a link. You may find a few interesting things about it here. If not, give the guys at the Japanese board a try. Oh, and pics please!!
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...highlight=vz24

It was destined for Japanese Navy, problem is it was probably not marked all in one range.

Here are some pix of the VZ24 in question. Just a light coat of oil applied.
    I like the nice sharp edges on the wood where it meets the metal parts and the light patina all over the sharp blue.

"It is not the number of rounds you fire or the noise that you make, it is the hits that count." Lewis B. Puller Jr., USMC

here's pics of mine, serial 53758: http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...s/Vz24%201937/

yours looks like it has much less patina than mine.
    "Your a$$ is grass.....and I've got the weedwacker!"

I have the same, 55711, matching, looks like it's the twin of Chazz's rifle, with same sling and Kanji. Mine was a PTO vet bringback. I've seen several of these over the years, with these original Vz.24 slings with the Kanji painted on them. My understanding of the C prefix was that they were Chinese contract and perhaps captured, or Japanese contract. I would tend to accept Andy's pronouncement on this. Andy, do you have the Japanese Navy contract info or anything from Cz. records?
    http://k98kforum.com/
    K98k Research and Reference Forum
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life. " -
    Sir Winston Churchill

From what i have thanks to John Wall sources,the Japanese Navy contract was realised early 1939 so the 1937 production must be produced for other country and probably remained unfilled.The China contract could be real. Or it was captured by Japanese in China.

Thank you all. Very nice pix and info.
    Ref the sling, which end is the top?

John Wall is offline Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords

Both Japanese and Chinese contracts were made and delivered. Solid information on the Japanese contract including English translation from the Czechoslovak CZ Brno history that Andy and I have, has been in print for over 20 years. The work was done by Stan Zeilinski and Company and published in Banzai, as well as serial number research done by Doss White and others on the P-series rifles imported in bulk from China in the late 1980's. Many rifles were documented, with serial numbers from the P-two digit range to the P-99,000 range being documented. Combine this data with the imformation on the numbers of rifles imported into China from Germany, Belgium and Czechoslovakia through British Customs in Hong Kong and Rangoon in the late 1930's published a few years ago in The Military Rifle Journal and you get a clear picture of the huge numbers of rifles imported into China and Japan. No data has ever been published as far as I know about one country capturing and reissuing the others rifles so that is pure and undocumented speculation. Regretably, no published data distinguishes the rifles with the C-series stock mark.
    Regards,
    John