Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Show Your Finnish Stock Disks

Here is a list of the disks I saw up to now.

Does anybody know about other markings???

Please show the disks on your rifles!!

The list:

ER.P
    ER.PANS.K
    HämRjP
    HAUTOK
    H/JP-4
    HRR
    I/RUK
    1/ITR
    IVÄ
    JP-1
    JP-2
    JP-3
    JP-4
    JP-4/16/VK
    JP-5
    JP-6
    JPSTO
    JR
    K.M.K.HUOLT.O.R
    KKK
    KKR
    KTR
    KTR 2/V & MO
    MGK. UR
    MM 1937
    M-PTRI KTR 1
    NSD
    PION.P
    PION.P H
    POHJ.R
    PPP
    PR
    PSTO/KAR PR
    PTRI
    RatsPTRI
    RES.AUK VIESTI R
    RES. HUOLTOR
    RT-1
    RT-2
    RT-3
    RvAUK
    SISSI
    SJR. TYK.K
    SVK
    TK/JP2
    TK/RT
    TR
    UHK
    URR
    VEsK
    VIESTIR
    VK PR
    KH
    please help me with my Polish, Hungarian and Romanian MN-datasheet, click here:
    http://www.gunboards.com/form.asp

II/RT3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M27 1934 Tikka w-RT3 unit disc-1-web.jpg   M27 1934 Tikka w-RT3 unit disc-10-web.jpg  

1899 Tula, original barrel:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming.

Former US President Teddy Roosevelt.

3/UR

1932 Tikka M-27 in the "ski/bicycle" stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mosin Nagant Pics 125.jpg  

Here are some pictures of stock disks that I have on file. The optics case with the brass stock disk attached is no longer in my collection. I still have all the other disks. I have a few more in my rifles with disks in my collection but no pictures at this time. Note that one of the M91's pictured is wearing it's disk on the left side of the stock. When I pulled this one out of the cardboard package it was quite a surprise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 132.jpg   strapdisk1.jpg   527.jpg   new.jpg   700disk1.jpg   strapdisk.jpg  

700disk.jpg   rv27.jpg   new1.jpg   05disk.jpg   132A.jpg   skytag.jpg  

Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

1928 M27 with ski sling swivels. #28439 VK-1-TR top to bottom respectively. Sorry have not mastered pictures or stripper clips yet. John.

Cool photos guys!

Question -- what is the time frame of these disks? I seem to remember something about brass being pre-war and zinc or aluminum being post-war. Am I close? TIA

No rifle....

Here are my stock unit discs, a NEW M91, a 1933 M27, and puukko knife
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.JPG   004.JPG   006.JPG   001.JPG   002.JPG   003.JPG  

Default Stock with too many discs...

KH,

I think one disk is in your list, the others? I love your quizzes but they are way too hard for me. Quiz for you, the badge is real, not a toy and decades old. Can you tell me what American city it was issued in? The large crescent is a clue. The real post war disc is on a 1943 Sako M39, it covers a Finnish stock maker's mark. The brass disc is real also but never been on a rifle.

Those rifles with intact brass discs must be rare as they were supposed to have been removed during the Finnish/Russian wars, how could they still have them?

Lancebear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2652.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
    3/UR

1932 Tikka M-27 in the "ski/bicycle" stock
    guitarzan

beautiful disk! I know URR, but I missed UR. Do you or does someone know the meaning?

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    Here are some pictures of stock disks that I have on file. The optics case with the brass stock disk attached is no longer in my collection. I still have all the other disks. I have a few more in my rifles with disks in my collection but no pictures at this time. Note that one of the M91's pictured is wearing it's disk on the left side of the stock. When I pulled this one out of the cardboard package it was quite a surprise.
    Alsky

beautiful disk collection! Do you or does someone know the meaning of TVK. KOULU, UR and TYK.K ?

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by Cruffler View Post
    No rifle....

Cruffler

KSR is also a new one for me. Do you know the meaning?

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by sprint10 View Post
    Here are my stock unit discs, a NEW M91, a 1933 M27, and puukko knife

sprint10

interesting disks. The one with 264 is a little blurry. Do you have a better photo and do you know the meaning of the disk. It looks like PTOR RUK? Also the "E" on the pioneer disk is interesting. What does "E" stand for?

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by Lancebear View Post
    KH,

I think one disk is in your list, the others? I love your quizzes but they are way too hard for me. Quiz for you, the badge is real, not a toy and decades old. Can you tell me what American city it was issued in? The large crescent is a clue. The real post war disc is on a 1943 Sako M39, it covers a Finnish stock maker's mark. The brass disc is real also but never been on a rifle.

Those rifles with intact brass discs must be rare as they were supposed to have been removed during the Finnish/Russian wars, how could they still have them?

Lancebear
    Lancebear

now your quiz is too hard for me, I think. You mean the "Special Officer" disk? OK, United States, may be Crescent City, CA?

Regards
    KH

Quote Originally Posted by kh View Post
    Alsky

beautiful disk collection! Do you or does someone know the meaning of TVK. KOULU, UR and TYK.K ?

Regards
    I would guess that the TYK.K over JP3 is similar to my TK/JP2 stock disc. JTV gave this answer:

About the brass disk:
    "JP 2" is definetely Jaakaripataljoona 2 = Jaeger Battalion 2, but "TK" is bit more uncertain. My best (educated) guess for it would be "Tykkikomppania" = AT-gun Company. Being ski-swivel version of infantry rifle M/27 also fits nicely to this unit type. Jaeger Battalions were bicycle infantry in summer and ski infantry in winter, so them having ski swivels certainly makes sense.

So most likely translation:
    Rifle number 47, AT-Gun Company of Jaeger Battalion 2.
    If you notice the TYK.K over JP3 disk, it's split onto two lines. Mine is crammed on one. Different armorers in the different Jaeger battaliions coming up with their own solutions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1932VKT0391_stockdisc2.jpg  
    http://hotimg2.fotki.com/b/76_171/115_102/youhavemosins_sig-vi.jpg

bdgfate
    That really makes sense. We just need a confirmation.
    Regards
    KH

Did you know that pretty often the rear side of a stock disk has markings also?

Here is one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0 00 0 0 1 1 1 a disk rear.jpg   0 00 0 0 1 1 1 a disk front.jpg  
    KH

Lancebear

now your quiz is too hard for me, I think. You mean the "Special Officer" disk? OK, United States, may be Crescent City, CA?

Regards
    KH,

Yes, the "Special Officer's" badge, Ha... too hard for you. The "Crescent City" is a nickname for New Orleans, Louisiana, as it is located within a large curve of the Mississippi river. The same design is used today by the New Orleans police force, except larger and not quite as ornate. I dug this badge from my backyard in the sixties as a kid in New Orleans, always played with plastic army men in the dirt. I believe it is made of coin silver or German silver.

How do these Finnish rifles still have their brass discs? Have only seen photos, never seen one in person. Nice photos guys!

LB

TVK.KOULU, could it actually be TYK.KOULU = Tykistökoulu = Artillery School
    UR = Uudenmaan Rykmentti = Uusimaa Regiment
    TYK.K = (as mentioned seems to be) (Antitank-)Gun Company
    KSR = Keski-Suomen Rykmentti = Centre Finland Regiment
    E = (usually) Esikunta = HQ

Jarkko

Karl Heinz,

Here is a link to a thread I posted when I found that rifle. Jarkko left some good info on the Uusimaa Regiment.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...666#post999666

Quote Originally Posted by JTV View Post
    TVK.KOULU, could it actually be TYK.KOULU = Tykistökoulu = Artillery School
    UR = Uudenmaan Rykmentti = Uusimaa Regiment
    TYK.K = (as mentioned seems to be) (Antitank-)Gun Company
    KSR = Keski-Suomen Rykmentti = Centre Finland Regiment
    E = (usually) Esikunta = HQ

Jarkko
    Jarkko

great information, thank you.

Just a question: I thought Tykkikomppania was abbreviated "TK" (instead of TYK), or am I wrong?

Regards
    KH

Any ideas for PTOR RUK?
    KH

Just a question: I thought Tykkikomppania was abbreviated "TK" (instead of TYK), or am I wrong?

Regards
    I'm happy to help. It's possible that both abbreviations were used for antitank-gun company. Abbreaviation TK was later used for totally other type of unit(*), which might explain why it may have been replaced with TYK.K

(*) During World War 2: TK = Torjuntakomppania = literally translated: Repulse Company, personally I prefer to call it coastal defence company or beach defence company. It was a company size formation of coastal troops intended for defensive combat and equipped with ligth cannons (20 - 47mm) and medium machineguns (water-cooled Maxim). While these seem to have established only around 1940 - 1941, the abbreaviation may have been reserved for them already earlier.

Jarkko

Any ideas for PTOR RUK?
    RUK is Reserviupseerikoulu=Reserve Officer School

My guess for PTOR is Panssarintorjunta(komppania)=Antitank (Company)

humbug is offline Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator

http://forums.gunboards.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

Here are my two:

JP4 is on a 1928 Tikka with unreinforced nose piece

SVK is on a 1932 Tikka with reinforced nose piece
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo..jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Bugelson View Post
    RUK is Reserviupseerikoulu=Reserve Officer School

My guess for PTOR is Panssarintorjunta(komppania)=Antitank (Company)
    What ever it was, it obviously belonged to Reserve Officer School. Since it has always been one of a kind, its difficult to figure out exactly what kind of units Reserve Units might have included. But IMO PTOR likely isn't antitank-company, but there is no way to know for sure. The abbreviation for antitank has been PST (Panssarintorjunta) for ages.

Jarkko

Quote Originally Posted by JTV View Post
    But IMO PTOR likely isn't antitank-company, but there is no way to know for sure. The abbreviation for antitank has been PST (Panssarintorjunta) for ages.

Jarkko
    Yep. That weird abbreviation buggered me too. And I´m sure you are right about that, that it is not "panssarintorjunta". But it was all I could come up with, since I have never seen PTOR abreviation anywhere before.

Quote Originally Posted by skywarp View Post
    Cool photos guys!

Question -- what is the time frame of these disks? I seem to remember something about brass being pre-war and zinc or aluminum being post-war. Am I close? TIA

KH, sorry about the poor photo the PTOR RUK is actually PION RUK. I have no idea what the meaning of the "E" on the Pioneer disc. Regards Sprint 10

Alsky

Regards

KH

Sorry I have never done any research on these disks. But I will take notes based on information in this thread. Thanks for posting your list.

KH, sorry about the poor photo the PTOR RUK is actually PION RUK. I have no idea what the meaning of the "E" on the Pioneer disc. Regards Sprint 10
    sprint10

thanks! May I ask you for a better photo, PLEASE!

Regards
    KH

Ok, now it makes sense. PION RUK would the part of Reserve Officer School that trains reserve officers for Engineer Corps (Pioneerit). Nowadays its called Sappers Company of Reserve Officer School.

As mentioned E usually refers as Esikunta (headquarters), so when used in front of unit name abbreaviation it refers to HQ of that unit.

In this case:
    E / PION.P = Esikunta / Pioneeripataljoona = Headquarters of Engineer Battalion

Jarkko
    Last edited by JTV; 02-25-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: adding text

Looks familiar,didn't know that disks could have been marked on both sides kh.

Come on! There must be MANY more!!
    KH

KH, here are some better pictures of the puukko, sorry about the delay. Regards Sprint 10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails puukko 003..JPG   puukko 002..JPG   puukko 001..JPG   puukko 004..JPG  

sprint10

Very nice Puukko with a VERY nice disk. Thank you for the photos! I am a little green with envy!

Regards
    KH

Here is the only disc on any rifle I have, other than one that is only marked with a rack number, no unit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stock Disk..jpg  
    NRA Life
    Garand Collectors Assoc.
    Alabama Gun Collectors Assoc.
    Alabama Military Collectors Assoc.
    Tennessee Military Collectors Assoc.
    Tennessee Valley Civil War Round Table
    National Society, Sons of the American Revolution

Here are a few more disks. The two with only the rifles numbers and without the units marked are attached to captured M91's. The POHJ.R is attached to an M27.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails m27disk..jpg   61..jpg   1077..jpg   1077b..jpg  

Very, very nice again, Alsky!

I remember someone had an IVÄ marked disk and posted it a long time ago. I would love to see a good photo again! Does anyone know the meaning?

Regards
    KH

Did you know that pretty often the rear side of a stock disk has markings also?

Here is one:
    KH, I did not know that. I have never removed the stock disk that I have from it's home on an M-27 so I did today.

175 on front and 26 on the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26.jpg   175.jpg  
    I'm back baby!!!

sprint10

I am a little green with envy!

Regards
    Not as much as I am. I have a few rifles with the inletting for a disk, but I have yet to find any rifles with the disk intact. I can only dream..........

Quote Originally Posted by Deros View Post
    KH, I did not know that. I have never removed the stock disk that I have from it's home on an M-27 so I did today.

175 on front and 26 on the back.
    Deros

this is a nice one! AA Regiment!

Regards
    KH

Deros

this is a nice one! AA Regiment!
    Sorry, but it's not. 1./TR = 1./Tampereen Rykmentti = 1st Company / Tampere Regiment (infantry). IMO it's nice anyway. Apparently the regiment existed 1918 - 1938 and was named after location of its garrison (Hennala garrison in city of Tampere).

Jarkko

BB91 is online now Diamond Member with Oak Clusters and Swords

Please show the disks on your rifles!!
    Here's mine..............

KH or Jarkko any additional information you can offer on this one? My understanding is (1./PPP1)=1st company of the 1st bicycle battallion, Any location information, Thanks guys, Bill.

By the way Sprint10 awsome Puukko!
    Last edited by BB91; 12-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast