Default Win. 94 Feeding problem

Hello, My brother-in-law gave me his Winchester 94 AE, in .44 Mag. and said he had had problems with it from the start.
    It has an intermittent problem of cartridges going below the lifter. I took it completely apart, cleaned and oiled everything, it still has the problem and I don't see any apparent reason. There haven't been more than 25 or so rounds run through it, so there is no wear to speak of. Could the interupter (don't know the official name for the part) not be tall enough or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks and regards, Guns.
    I Collect, therefore I am.

The 94 has a small tab on the front of the link that acts as a cartridge stop when the action is open. This tab is fairly small and fragile, especially on the later cast parts. Any loss of length can cause the double feeding you describe. The 44 is especially difficult to feed because of the smaller difference in rim vs shell head diameter. I have built up this tab with a careful TIG weld then worked it back down to achieve proper feeding. A good welder could use some heat stop paste and low heat and build it up without hurting the blue.

Might not be the problem this time but worth looking into.
    Last edited by kp321; 02-25-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Used the word tab in place of original unacceptable word

Thanks for the advice kp321, you are probably correct. I can't see any other reason for the miss feeds. The thing I wonder is this weapon is pretty much unused, so there is no wear, but that doesn't mean that the part didn't come too short from the factory. Just talked to a friend who is really into Winchesters and he said they had a reputation for this problem in .44 . Rifle being built for the .30-30 and the .44 being a much shorter cartridge. It's a nice little carbine, hope to get it working right soon. (Are you really not allowed to write t-t?)
    I Collect, therefore I am.

I had that very same problem with my .357 AE a few years ago - hunted with it for several seasons, plinked a little, so it really hadn't gotten any hard use, but that wimpy little friggin' tab on the elevator broke off. Parts are abvailable thru Browning & didn't take any time at all to deliver to me. Never disassembled a lever gun before, but it isn't all that difficult. I've kept the broken part & plan to someday just mill a groove into it that I can seat a piece of flat stock into & braze it into place. Drew up the dims on it when I filed the old part & should 'prolly just build it & install it to avoid the worry of failure of the sintred or cast part now in use.
    Last edited by AZshooter; 04-25-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: edit for spelling

You have a very good idea about silver soldering in a new tab. The sintered metal is difficult to weld on. What chaps me is having to buy the whole link for the broken or worn tab. Everything seemed to work well for 100 years until they discovered using cast or sintered parts in low stress areas. I have had to build up one of these on a pre-64 but it had parobably had a box car full of ammo through it.

Quote Originally Posted by kp321 View Post
    You have a very good idea about silver soldering in a new tab. The sintered metal is difficult to weld on. What chaps me is having to buy the whole link for the broken or worn tab. Everything seemed to work well for 100 years until they discovered using cast or sintered parts in low stress areas. I have had to build up one of these on a pre-64 but it had parobably had a box car full of ammo through it.
    I recommend getting AGI's video on the 94 Winchester, it explains the procedure for the repair of the tab on the bolt face and how to repair it!! It also has the 73 Winchester,86,etc. Well worth the money!! Joe