Thread: Need Some Help. H&R 22LR Double Action Sportsman

Default Need Some Help. H&R 22LR Double Action Sportsman

A friend has asked me to research this revolver. H&R 22LR Double Action Sportsman. This is not the model 999. Marks on gun read 22LR CTG. Is this weapon pre1898 or is it a modern weapon. Break down style. The barrel cylinder release is a rear sight toggle setup. Comes with a nice old holster. Any idea on a fair market price. Please look at photos and any help is appreciated. Mike / Mgfrd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF4086..JPG   DSCF4087..JPG   DSCF4089..JPG   DSCF4090..JPG  

This handsome revolver was made in several variations; Early pistols were single action, but most are single/double -- like the one pictured. I think they date from the '40's or early '50's, and are worth what you can get -- probably $200 or so, depending on condition. Let me check my old book.

It's listed as the 999 in my '47 Stoeger's catalog. Price: $35.44 (Single Action only)

ETA: I'm fairly sure "Sportsman" is the "999".

This is a 999 Sportsman 1932 to 1952 In 53 forward the wood grips were 2 piece and the deluxe model had a vent rib. There were like 10 or 12 variants of the 999.
    I believe this is referred to as the "Rice Frame" for patent owner Rienzi Rice approx current selling value at $275 to $300.
    You'll see sellers asking $400 to $450 with no takers.

These pistols are in high demand among amputees I work with and they often pay what is being asked for a nice one with little use or wear.

I would value yours in the $250-$300 range if it is in mechanically excellent condition.

Watch for wear on the cylinder and ejector mechanism and make sure it is completely clean and free of debris.
    Semper Fi,
    ret_Marine2003

Located at American Legion post 300, somewhere in Northern Michigan.

Default Thanks to everybody for the info

You guys answered all my upcoming questions beautifully. I was going to ask if this was an early variant because I saw one recently that had "model 999" marked on the gun with a vent rib on the barrel. This weapon has some blueing missing yet the cylinder timing is real good and the trigger draws real smoothly. The pistol fits real comfortable in my hand. The grips seem to aftermarket or am I wrong on that. The trigger guard has a real cool finger guard at the rear. The grips have a nice checkered pattern on both sides. Any more comments are welcome. Thanks again gang. Mike / Mgfrd1959

The pistol was sold as an informal target revolver, and mine is very accurate. It was the only .22 I ever saw on my Dad's hip, and he enjoyed shooting grouse with it -- Sometimes two with one shot. He used standard velocity .22lr in it.

I don't know if H&R sold the grips, but they were designed by this man & advertised as 'Roper grips' :

" Walter Fredrick Roper was born February 9, 1881.

He was educated at the Worcester Academy and at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He became connected with the Draper company in his father's department and is in the experimental department. He has already secured two valuable inventions and has others in progress.

Walter Roper, of Longmeadow, Massachusetts, was one of the leading American handgun experts of the mid-twentieth century. He was particularly active as a writer during the 1940s and early 1950s. During that period, for example, he wrote some two dozen feature articles for the National Rifle Association's (NRA's) house publication, American Rifleman, along with contributing a sixteen-part series, entitled 'This Handgun Game,' to the magazine during 1940 and 1941." —from Dr. Jim Casada's Editor's Note to the Fireams Classic Library's edition of Ropers Experiments of a Handgunner.

Roper wrote three books, Pistol and Revolver Shooting, Experiments of a Handgunner, and, with Roy C. McHenry, Smith and Wesson Hand Guns.

Roper is best remembered for his custom handgun stocks for both pistols and revolvers. He was involved in the development, particularly of the trigger, of the H&R U.S.R.A. target pistol. Roper writes that when in prep school and college he worked on various mechanisms of his own design at his father's experimental workshop, including five pistol actions.
    "

More information in this informative thread: http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=45350

'H&R offered 11 different styles of grips that would fit this frame.

there are actually three seperate models of the model 999 sportsman double action revolver:
    first model 1932-1952 (rice frame)
    second model 1953-1973 (square butt two piece grips)
    third model 1974 -1986 (same grip frame with transfer bar ignition system).

...starting in 1940 H&R added a letter code for all firearm they made that year. 1940=A and up to 1986=BC.

fyi, the model 999 sportsman double action was manufactured in limited number thru-out the wwII years (1942-1945).'

Default Great input guys

Thanks for the links and follow up info. My friend will be happy with all the input. Thanks again. Mike / Mgfrd

I recently bought a H&R sportsman and Im having trouble placing what year it was made. serial number is D23377, the grips are one peice brown plastic with the H&R emblem on each side, both front and rear sights are adjustable, it also has a heavy weight non vent rib barrel, and what appears to be a shiny nickel finish.
    any one know what year this gun was made and about what the gun is worth?