Gunboards Forums banner

Top Five Most Rare Guns In Your Collection

104K views 460 replies 304 participants last post by  Edgy01 
#1 ·
Just wondering what everyone considers their top five most rare in their collection based on how you view them. Some of my most rare aren't my most expensive. For me they would be,

1. Polish Vis 35 1939 Dated 99% with correct holster and extra magazine.

2. Tula M44 YY18 Training rifle. Same one up on Ted's site.

3. Ex-Sniper Yugo 59/66. Still looking for the mount though along with the twin the member Denny has here in a M59

4. Mosin Nagant Dragoon updated with the Finn modified front sight.

5. J.P. Saur drilling that is almost like new.

Runners up for me,
1. Peruvian short rifle that turned out to be only of a handful known, sold to another member here since South American mausers aren't my collecting focus.

2. Karab 98B that has total mixed up parts and a bad bore, so the condition brought it off the list.

See less See more
#438 ·
This is very entertaining and informative. So I will play some more.
1.US Colt SAA Artillery identified as issued to the 7th cavalry in Jan. 1874. Supported by colt letter regarding cutting down to artillery and listing in the Kopec book as one of the few known to be in collectors hands. Rare and historically significant.
2. US 1911 made at Springfield 1914 and issued to the 11th cavalry during the punitive expedition to Mexico. Supported by Springfield research letter and copy of archives document . The 11th cavalry conducted the last cavalry horse charge on a ranch of supporters of Pancho Villa in mid 1916. Was it there? Only can say it was issued to the 11th cavalry at that time.( Gun remained in military service reworked at Augusta arsenal pre WW II (AA marked)). ( I have not yet taken a picture of this one yet)
3. Colt detective special among the first issued to the detroit police dept in 1927. Colt letter and also have records of every detective it was issued to until sold to a retiree. At that time the guns were not marked detective special. Rather it was because of this order that colt named others like it as the detective special.
4.Imperial Russian Nagant revolver cut for shoulder stock. Collectors have counted maybe a dozen in this country.
5. Chinese Tokarev type 51 (predecessor of the type 54). Made a lot but I have never seen another picture or one posted for sale. Must be more here among collectors. If you have one, lets see it for reference information.
Those are the pistols .
Thinking about the rifles for another posting. enjoy the pictures. Gun Revolver Firearm Trigger Gun accessory
Revolver
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Golf equipment Material property Iron
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory
Gun Revolver Starting pistol Trigger Handgun holster
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

#439 ·
5. Chinese Tokarev type 51 (predecessor of the type 54). Made a lot but I have never seen another picture or one posted for sale. Must be more here among collectors. If you have one, lets see it for reference information.
I have two of the Type 51 Tokarev pistols, both Vietnam bringbacks. The markings on one example are the same as yours, but the markings on the second are slightly different. It's been a while since I had them in hand and I can't remember the details clearly enough to describe how they vary. I think one is dated '51 and the other is '53.

If I can find any photos I'll post them later.

PS: Love the Nagant!

#440 ·
1878 dated Model 1874 11mm Gras Artillery Musketoon Ex + w/1868 dated Chasspot Sabre Bayonet Ex
1877 dated Model 1871 11mm Mauser Carbine Ex +
1876 dated Model 1873 11mm French Revolver Ex
1916 dated M1912 Steyr "Hahn" Bavarian contract in 9mm Steyr VG+
Undated 7.65mm Belgian Mauser M1889 Fortress carbine F

Skirmisher

#443 ·
1. British heavy dragoon .62 Cal flintlock pistol Georges Rex circa 1730-1740
2. 1795 springfield marked Harpers Ferry 1811 still in original flint lock.
3. 1817 Common Rifle Flintlock Marked H. Derringer Phillda
4. Spencer Rifle 56/50 cal only 1109 made.
5. Jap type 99 unfired and complete with dust cover, taken from the Arsenal on Saipan before it was issued by a member of the 2nd marines, gun has writing on the stock "To Bill, thanks. Saipan M.I. 1944".

#446 · (Edited)
4. Spencer Rifle 56/50 cal only 1109 made.
Rifles are indeed rare. Original or Springfield-made from carbine? Rare one either way.

Spencer made around 24K carbines + $3k rifles and Burnside made another 34.5K in 56-50 (M1865). M1860 in 56-52 were ~59K carbines, 1K Navy rifles and 11.5K Army rifles. Sporting rifles in 56-46 were around 1,800.

Source: Roy Marcot.

#444 ·
LOL my Harpers Ferry 1811 dated model 1795 springfield is on my list too!

#447 ·
Picking 5 is hard!
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Wood Vehicle Fishing rod

1876 Berdan II Cossack cased rifle

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Hack saw handled S&W No. 3 First/Second Model prototype

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

King tool room prototype of 2nd Model S&W No. 3

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

Cut for stock 1895 Nagant

Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

AVS 36 semi auto sniper

Joe

#449 ·
I can't run with the big dogs but:

1864 Ball and Williams Ballard carbine, 5000 of this version made
1863 Trenton Arsenal Springfield
Two complete Smith Corona 03A3's 6 groove (counts as one)
Original stamped PU, no electro pencil
SA stamped 94/14 Swedish carbine

#453 · (Edited)
According Roy Marcot in his book Spencer repeating firearms (I'll look up the page numbers) 1109 burnside carbines M1865 were made into two band rifles in 1873 with 1868 cleaning rods and 1868/1870 type rear trap door sights. The carbines were all sent back to springfield with damaged barrels. The fore ends likely came from springfields alteration of the Remington rolling block.
Mine is one of these. Additional information about these can be found in "The 58 and 50 caliber rifles and carbines of Springfield armory 1865-1872". Page 157. See also http://ugca.org/firepower/firepowermain.htm, It has a very short description of them.
I also have a M1860 carbine in 56/50 that was damaged and sent back and upgraded to the M1865, with a sleeve in the barrel and the Stabler cut off but the top is marked 1860.
As a matter of fact way back when my dad found in shooting times illustrated magazine from 1966 had an article called "shoot that spencer" and showed how to alter the breech block to center fire. My dad bought another breech block from Dixie gun works for 7.00$ plus shipping and my grandfather who was a machinist for Sears and Roebuck made the alteration and I shoot both my rifle and carbine. we at first made cases to shoot it out of .348 Winchester before cases were available.
Another One i guess I'd list on the outside looking in is my Harpers Ferry model 1855 rifle musket dated 1857. Kind of a hard gun to find, but rare dated 1857.

#457 ·
You guys are the reason why I get depressed. I started collecting while all the good stuff is either already in someone's collection or it's for sale at a ridiculously high price. I do have some nice stuff but none of it can compare to what most of you guys are posting and it truly makes me envious.

#458 ·
FN Model 1930 Mauser Short Rifle With Bayonet-Unissued Venezuelan Contract.
FN Model 1930 Mauser Target Rifle With Bayonet-Number 244 Out Of Only 400 Made-Venezuelan Contract.
FN SAFN49 With Bayonet-Venezuelan Contract.
1943 Tula SVT40-Non SA Marked Finn Capture With Bayonet.
1958 SHE VZ52/57 Czechoslovakian Service Rifle.
Madsen M47 With Medallion And Bayonet-Colombian Contract.
1945 Izzy M38 Mosin Nagant Carbine-Nonrefurb.
1967 Rasheed Carbine.

#459 ·
Winchester 1895 Russian Contract rifle in 7.62x54r
1893 Tula M91
Bohler-Stahl M24 (With no civil guard crest, or serial number- Blank barrel shank with only the "Christmas Tree" marking and a =S= marking)
1934 Sako M28/30 (first year with the barrels dated)
Inglis Browning Hi-Power MK I* w/shoulder stock
Honorable mention: 1967 "Late-Date" M39 W/ a plum barrel

#461 ·
Not rare but special to our family. Have had since 1898. Purchased new, Model 1894 Winchester .32-40. Refinished in Japan in the late 1950s with engraving, and silver inlay engraving and Tigereye Maple stock. Provenance: Used in 1951 in Viet Nam tiger hunting with the emperor; black bear hunting in Hokkaido, Japan, 1958; and squirrel hunting 1985 in Oklahoma!

A gorgeous piece, but probably not "rare," but my most cherished rifle.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.