Gunboards Forums banner

Sights for T/C Hawken

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  iron brigade 
#1 ·
I have an older T/C Hawken with the "third hole" in the tang for a tang mounted sight.

The problem I have with the rifle is that I couldn't tolerate the odious blueing on the barrel or the urethane finish on the stock so I stripped the whole thing and refinished it and browned it, so it looks halfway decent now.

Both the tang and the barrel mounted sights made by T/C are in my opinion ugly and simply do not go with a traditional "looking" muzzleloader.

I would appreciate any sight options out there that would fit my T/C in on either the barrel or the tang that are not UGLY.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Your T/C hawkens is not a traditional looking Hawkens so, why not use the receiver sight? Since it has the hole drilled and tapped in the tang I would put one on. That sight is a good one. I use one on both my T/C flinter and percussion rifles. And, yes, I do have a traditional Hawkens rifle and it doesn`t even come close to what T/C makes. I`m not knocking the T/C guns since I do have a couple of them and they are good shooters.
If, by some chance you would want a authentic looking Hawkens rifle you should be prepared to pay at least triple for a nice one compared to a T/C gun.

#3 ·
Twenty + years ago T/C Hawkin/Senecas were considered a joke by the "serious" shooters.Now T/C is one of the most respected arms manufacturers in the U.S. and beyond.I don't here the jokes I used to.And T/Cs have proven to be fine rifles.While blued guns go back to the 17 th century,I agree with you;I browned mine as well.I also replaced the brass with pewter and steel,and made a toe piece and pewter nose-cap.

NOTE:Traditional replacement sights were(are?) made for the Hawkin(Seneca?),as I put them on my .50 cal.There is a place in Lodi Ohio called The Log Cabin Shop.I'm sure they can hook you up.Good luck!
Bonham

#5 ·
NOTE:Traditional replacement sights were(are?) made for the Hawkin(Seneca?),as I put them on my .50 cal.There is a place in Lodi Ohio called The Log Cabin Shop.I'm sure they can hook you up.Good luck!
THANKS for the tip.

Your T/C hawkens is not a traditional looking Hawkens so, why not use the receiver sight? Since it has the hole drilled and tapped in the tang I would put one on.
I know it is not an authentic replica. I don't have the money for ones of those and would never actually fire it. That being said I don't like the ugly T/C sight, so I asked others if they have any recommendations that look good.

#6 ·
i have seen original peep sights on old flintlocks and they looked like they were home made and made of thin steel ot tin can strips, attached to the barrel and a small hole drilled thru. and bent up or down to get the right elevation and useing the front sight to get windage. a friend had a old heavy barreled 40 cal. flintlock bench gun that had a peep sight mounted on the tang that had very fine click adjustments for elevation and windage,in the fold up latter style. and was a very accurate rifle. that was 40 odd years ago and i don,t remember who made the sight(it was not home made). eastbank.

#7 ·
i have six tc rifles. hawken & renegade. 3 different style factory sights on them. guess they[tc] tried various sights throughout the years. i think totw- track of the wolf may have what you are looking for. they may offer a primitive sight for the tc's. i like one style of the tc sights which i believe were made during the 80's-90's but not written in stone.
i have a .54 renegade that wouldn't shoot inside of 4" at 50 yds with various load combo's, crisco, lard ect, then i read a thread over at muzzleloader forum and these guys were using hoppes no9 plus black powder solve and patch lube. wow! what a difference. ragged rip at 50 yds. ok for targets but not for hunting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.