Default Yugo M57 tokarev alternate magazine option

Ok, we M57 owners all know how hard it is to find replacement magazines and when we do, the asking prices are very expensive.
    I recently came across a M57 that had a non Yugo mag in it. When I pulled it out, I saw it was a CZ52 magazine. When I put the CZ52 mag side by side with an original M57 mag, it seems that the CZ52 and the M57 magazines are basically the same dimensions. The only thing keeping the CZ52 mag from being a direct fit is it does not have a mag catch slot in the side of the mag body. (CZ52's have a heel release)
    So, I put together this tutorial so you can get some extra mags that are easier to find and cheaper.
    First thing you need to do is check the fit of the cz mags to your pistol. Most of the cz mags I had were a snug fit. The cz mags sometimes are a little longer from front to back. Light tapping with a brass hammer on the front edge of the mag, from top to bottom is all that was necessary to get the mag to drop free when released from the gun.

To cut the mag catch hole in the cz mags, you need a sharpie marker to mark where to cut, a dremmel with cut off wheel and de-burring bit and some emmry cloth.

First, I put the original m57 mag side by side the cz52 mag and with the sharpie, marked where the cut should go. (mark a little lower to start)

Then I cut the slot, straight across on the top side and then bevel a little downward. Don't cut too much to begin with, test fit and enlarge as nessesary until you get the fit you want. (Warning- if you cut too high up on the mag, the mag will set too low in the pistol and the slide will not pick up the rounds. Ask how I know!)

After you get the cut where you like it, use the de-burring tool to remove any rough edges and the emory cloth to smooth it up.

I check feed and function with dummy ammo.

Touch up the cuts with cold blue and you are done.

Last edited by PolishRon; 03-15-2010 at 12:30 AM.

Thank you. Never trusted the CZ52 anyway. So I have extra Mags. Gary

Great job!

Good to know. Thanks.
    To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. - Theodore Roosevelt

MODIFYING A CZ-52 MAGAZINE TO HOLD 9 ROUNDS (+1 from 8)

Phil, of SKSboards, writes:

Don't go blind, wear safety goggles.

1) First thing to do is unlock your magazine floorplate & slide it forward a little. About 3 mm should do.

2) Load up the magazine with 9 rounds and look to see if there is any coil overlap in the magazine itself. If there is, then this home-brew Hi-cap probably isn't a good idea.

3) With 9 rounds in the magazine, there will be about 6mm of the rear portion of the magazine follower sticking out below the floorplate. Measure this & keep a note of how much is sticking out.

4) Take 1 round out of the magazine to restore it to the original 8 rd capacity then, with the mag upside-down, carefully remove the floorplate & spring.

5) Measure the depth from the bottom of the magazine to the bottom of the rear part of the follower inside the mag. This should be 5mm if your mag followers are the same size as mine.

6) Add the 5mm to the previous measurement of mag follower and you have the amount you need to cut off in order to fit the extra round.

7) Cut that length of the mag follower off and add a slight bevel as in the original to prevent the spring from hanging up on the follower.

8) Smooth out all the cut edges.

9) Re-assemble the magazine.

Now I loaded up the magazine with 9 live rounds then cycled them by hand through the weapon HOWEVER, I had a broken FIRING PIN which was OUT OF THE PISTOL at the time, so I had no risk of negligent discharge. I recommend doing something similar before hitting the range just to make sure you have the snags worked out of the magazine and it cycles properly. But do it without a firing pin if you hand cycle it at all. With this modified magazine alone, I shot several boxes of S&B FMJ with no problems at all.

* CZMag01.jpg: 9rd magazine, without spring or floorplate
    CZMag01.jpg

* CZMag02.jpg: Mag follower, afterwards
    CZMag02.jpg

Go to the site http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/ProcModifyCZ52MagCap9 to see the pictures

So how did this work out for you, Ron ??

A range/test report, please............Before I start cuttin' on my mags...........

My wife cringes whenever I ask; ".......Babe, can ya get me the dremel outta the garage, please......."

Bench test works great, racking mags full of rounds out manually but I have yet to live fire test it as the snow here is still 2+ feet deep and access to my shooting area is not possible.

mad

Quote Originally Posted by PolishRon View Post
    Bench test works great, racking mags full of rounds out manually but I have yet to live fire test it as the snow here is still 2+ feet deep and access to my shooting area is not possible.
    It was 78 degrees in Southern California today !!!...........'bout the only thing California still has going for it is the weather.........Everything else sux..........

Live fire test this weekend.
    Using 2 different M57 pistols, all the modified cz52 magazines worked properly. I tested each magazine with 8 rounds of live fire in each pistol and they worked as perfectly as the originals.

Thank you, Ron!

Great news!!.......Time to bust out the DREMEL........

Hello PolishRon and Mastiff. YOU GUYS ROCK!!!! I've wanted to get one of the Yugo Toks for sometime but the lack of mags changed my mind. CZ mags are all over the place and are fairly reasonable. Now I have to start looking for a Yugo Tok! Thanks again for the idea. Its good to see that people still help each other out on here.

Modified 3 brand new ones they work great, I ground and sanded the back spine of the mags instead of hammer wackin.
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Self Defense Is The Most Basic Human Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I've wanted to get one of the Yugo Toks for sometime but the lack of mags changed my mind. CZ mags are all over the place and are fairly reasonable.
    Where have you been seeing the deals on CZ52 mags? Last I saw any online they were about $35-40 (originals that is).

I didn't want to mess up originals. I got the mags from http://www.keepshooting.com/firearma...ne_triplek.htm
    I got 5 mags at $20.95 each. I ran across them from a CZ-52 board. I'll be picking up more when I get together some more cash. I just purchased an Argy Hi-Power and am a little light in the wallet right now.

I got mine at the same place. I did see (shotgun news?) someone having used ones for about 14.00$
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Ron, this is very valuable info to me, Huge appreciation factor. thanks.

Would they still work in a CZ-52 afterwards? Having a dual-use magazine would rock!

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Yes, the altered magazines will still work in the cz52. The notch cut for the M57 will not affect its use nor will the slight fitting necessary for it to fit in the M57 mag well.

Cheaper than dirt lists the CZ52 mags for 12.97$ .
    If they have them in stock .

These at Cheaper than dirt are triple K mags and 99% of them dont work!

I just happened to notice that the mags at keepshooting.com are also triple k mags. My experience with these is that 50% of them will work, the others are so out of spec you can't even tweek them.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
    I just happened to notice that the mags at keepshooting.com are also triple k mags. My experience with these is that 50% of them will work, the others are so out of spec you can't even tweek them.

John
    They are NOT Triple K mags. They state that specifically:

These CZ-52 Magazines are brand new and have never been available for sale in the United States. We have worked for two years on producing the highest quality CZ-52 magazine and the end result is perfection.

These magazines are not like previous poorly made CZ52 Magazines. Each one is tested to ensure it fits properly into a CZ-52 Pistol. Further quality testing involves loading the magazine to capacity and verifying it feeds through manual cycling. This ensures you receive a perfect magazine from KeepShooting!

* Capacity: 8rds
    * Caliber: 7.62x25mm
    * Brand: KeepShootingŪ Products (This is NOT Triple K Magazine)
    * Condition: Factory New
    * Finish: Blued Steel with Teflon Coating

KeepShooting has been making their own brands of some Mags, they made some Makarov mags and the majority had major probslems and had to be returned for refund, then they alledgedly improved those! LOL Buyer Beware!

There have been many reports on their brand of CZ-52 mags being a gamble at best!

Quote Originally Posted by vz58kid View Post
    KeepShooting has been making their own brands of some Mags, they made some Makarov mags and the majority had major probslems and had to be returned for refund, then they alledgedly improved those! LOL Buyer Beware!

There have been many reports on their brand of CZ-52 mags being a gamble at best!
    I am very satisfied with the CZ-52 mags I bought from them. I intend to buy more of them. My experience doesn't match your claim.
    Check out
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...ot-triple-k%29

EDIT You other guys might be interested in checking out http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...a17d2&start=15
    VZ58kid has already seen it

What is the capacity for the modified CZ52 mags? 8 rounds or 9 rounds? Will these work? http://www.keepshooting.com/firearma...ne_triplek.htm

Muffduster

Yes, Those are the ones but you have to cut the release slot into them as explained above.

I emailed the folks at KeepShooting the other day with no response as yet. I hope they would consider pre-cutting the tabs themselves to market them to the M-57/ CZ-52 owners. I might make a $20 mistake so I'd hope they could do it before I buy them. If anyone else emails them with the same request it might happen.

Hi there , im from South Africa , ive got my tokarev m57 sinse 2003 and got only 1 mag with it ,so i made a plan , i bought 2 8 round mags , cut of the bottom end of the one mag and tig weld it to the bottom end of the other mag , problem solved .see picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC12251.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	345804

ProGun1

I was wondering if you had received a reply from KS about pre-cutting the tabs. I recently bought a couple of M57s from SOG. I only got 1 mag with each gun. I am definitely interested in getting extra mags.