Thread: Wolf Gold 7.62x25

Thumbs down Wolf Gold 7.62x25

I bought a box of Wolf Gold 7.62.25 HP ammo of self defense. I fired it yesterday and its a good thing I didn't need it for self defense. It did not cycle the rounds some of the time or did not cycle it enough. The rounds are not consistence, some would make a big flame but sound less powerful. Some sound very weak and some sound normal.
    I tried the Hornady 30 Mauser and most of them would not cycle the rounds.

Would like to find a HP round for self defense but no luck so far.

Barnual works.

What model pistol are you using? 30 Mauser is for Mausers and is not as powerful as 7.62x25.

If you can't find factory defensive ammo for your 7.62x25 Tokarev, try reloading. 90gr Hornady HP-XTP bullet over 13.7gr of H 110 powder. C.O.L. 1.32" Cycles consistently in all my Tok's and CZ52. Only negative is the monstrous fireball from the muzzle.

Roamergrg, what Barnaul Tokarev ammo have you seen?
    Always looking for interesting 7.62x25 Tokarev and 7.63 Mauser cartridges!!!
    Member: International Ammunition Assoc. (IAA), European Cartridge Research Assoc. (ECRA). Ask me about membership!

I need to take back the cycling as my Russian Tok is not cycling any ammo. I still stand that the Wolf is not consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by acirema View Post
    If you can't find factory defensive ammo for your 7.62x25 Tokarev, try reloading. 90gr Hornady HP-XTP bullet over 13.7gr of H 110 powder. C.O.L. 1.32" Cycles consistently in all my Tok's and CZ52. Only negative is the monstrous fireball from the muzzle.
    Definitely an option.

I have seen it written, and I believe this personally, that you should NOT depend on any "self-defence" ammo, factory or handloaded, untill you have fired a minimum of 150 rounds of it in your firearm, for reliability testing. Then and only then will you have a truly good idea as to how reliable the gun is with said load.

I don't consider muzzle flash to be a "detriment" to an ammo loading, some folks do, not me. There MUST be one serious ball of fire from my short-barreled .45 Auto from my JHP loads because 10.8gr of Vectan SP-2 is one big pile of very slow powder loaded for a 5" barrel. I loose over 100fps in a 3.6", I've never seen the fireball myself tho, just the sights and the targets.

Good luck in finding something landtoy.

I have had only good experience with wolf gold h/p's out of my toks......Love the stuff. It never jams for me......

I found the problem with the cycling of the pistol so I can't blame the ammo on the cycling.
    I will have to try another box of it to see if it is a inconsistent as the box I had. It went from a big flame and full recoil to a small pop and some in between. The flame can be seen in broad daylight. The flame will block out the target. I can't wait to see how bright it is at night. I didn't have any surplus ammo with me to do a side by side comparison.

I would try another box of Hornady 30 Mauser in the Tok if they would make some without cracks in the necks. Note, Hornady did not make the ammo, it was a Graff and Son's contract for what ever that means. Anyhow, Graff's is the one that handled the warranty on the ammo and gave me a credit as the 30 Mauser ammo they have left is factory seconds and they said is probably is the same condition.

Sorry for giving Wolf Gold a bad name. It was just a freak that the pistol started a new problem when I tried a box of Wolf Gold for the first time. If I ever see Wolf Gold for sale again I will buy several boxes and chrony them. As for the round that went pop, I am sure it hit harder than my Keltec 32acp

As for reloads and self defense against humans, I will pass as reloads, self defense against humans and lawyers/prosecutors don't mix well. But for wild animals, the Tok with HP should be a good choice.
    Last edited by landtoy80; 03-16-2010 at 12:01 AM.

http://www.reedsammo.com/ Loads self defense ammo for the 7.62x25

I think Prvi Partizan manufactures the Wolf Gold 7.62x25 HP; at least they do manufacture the FMJ in that caliber. And it isn't cheap. Sounds like you're out of what you had on hand, but if you could get more from the same source it would be interesting if you could try some of that batch in another Tokarev and see if it seems as inconsistent. Could be a bad batch. It will also be interesting to know whether more of the same type functions more consistently in your Russian Tokarev next time. Please let us know how it goes if you do, as I think most Tokarev owners are interested in finding a commercial source of 7.62x25 that can be relied on. I have a box of the Wolf Gold HP that i haven't yet tried.

Never had a problem with the Prvi/Wolf 7.62x25, either HP or FMJ.

Wolf is Wolf --- a cheap option that is still using Russian/Yugo Primers. For home defense sticking with American Made (components too) is recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by greypowder View Post
    Wolf is Wolf --- a cheap option that is still using Russian/Yugo Primers. For home defense sticking with American Made (components too) is recommended.
    So far I've only run 1000 Wolf primers thru my .45 Auto ammo without a single problem.

Yea, those things are just unreliable Eastern Bloc junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldstuffer View Post
    So far I've only run 1000 Wolf primers thru my .45 Auto ammo without a single problem.

Yea, those things are just unreliable Eastern Bloc junk.