frown 1952 Hungarian Mosin-Nagant Carbine?

I finally got the chance to drop by a fairly new local gun shop today, hoping to find a good selection of military surplus rifles. Only found three: A refurbed M1 with a CMP stamp on the stock, an M1 carbine--also a refurb, and a Mosin-Nagant carbine "Hungarian". I did not buy it, but thought a description would be off interest here. Also, to get your feedback on it.

I'm not a M-N expert, or even a collector, but had a 91/30 (I think it was stamped "1938") about 22 years ago when the ammo was really expensive--imported from Finland. I'd like to get another one before too long, so am looking at gun shops and gunshows. I want one from the WWII era.

Anyway, the rifle I saw today had about 98% of the finish WORN-OFF all the parts-- looked like someone had taken a scotchbrite pad to it, no scratches, just unusually bright metal. The stock was cracked pretty badly at the narrowest point--near the bolt (maybe it was slammed against a tree by holding the muzzle end?). The rest of the stock looked like it had been dragged down a gravel road after being used in a Hungarian baseball game (no baseball bats over there, but lots of rifles); maybe that crack was from Ivan's grand slam hit, knocking the grenade right out of the political training camp. The cleaning rod was missing, and the spike bayonet had about 1/2" of free play when folded against the stock (maybe that's normal).

There was a lot of wear on the receiver, so I could only make out "1952" and about 1/2 of the arsenal mark--looked like a very small wreath with some kind of design inside. Although I worked the bolt a few times, I did not bother checking the bore, 'cause I knew this wasn't going home with me. By now, you may have come up with a price in your head as to what you would pay for this jewel. I turned over the price tag to reveal "$175.00", which I though was about $125.00 too much. What do you think? Is this particular version worth more than the dozens of 91/30s going for around $115.00 at gun shows?

I think you are looking at a bubba. The Hungarians put factory logo, serial number, year of manufacture on the barrel. Since you got stuff stamped on receiver, bubba messed up that rifle.

Skip it unless it's about $70 OTD.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."
    -David St.Hubbins

I'm 100% Hungarian, It wasn't Ivan it was Janos that used it as a baseball bat. :-)

It is a refurbed baseball bat.
    "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
    капитула My Family Surname

I say don't buy it.
    C&Rriflecollector91 "Action Not Words"

IMHO its a $50 dollar parts gun.Nothing more.

with the year 1952 and a wreath on the barrel shank, I think it's romanian. a hungarian rifle would have had 02 stamped on the barrel shank (and possibly on the stock, too). in the condition described, definitely not worth the price asked.
    y'all have a good day, Keith
    Say you love her 'till she lays down the butcher knife. -Tim Wilson

"Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity

+1 Keith. Sounds Romanian to me too. As for the condition you described, does not sound worth $125. If there was a small RPR stamped with that small wreath, then it is Romanian. 02 is the Hungarian arsenal code. If it was made in 1952, it can't be Romanian as they began production in 1953. It could be Hungarian made 1952-1953 with the 02 code. 11 in ovular circle is Polish code, they were made 1951-1955 but don't notice any "wreath" on any of the other stamps from the other comm bloc countries except for the Romanian made. Could it also be possible you may have misinterpreted a number in the date and it could be a Russian Izhevsk arsenal MN? They commonly had the wreath and hammer and sickle above the date stamp on the top of the barrel shank, closest to the rear sight. But definitely the description you gave isn't worth that. Might have been worth a look in the bore. Never know they don't have to look good on the outside to shoot good on the inside

It was "1952" for sure; the shop owner had a $175.00 price tag on it. He also had a CMP-stamped M1 Garand that was a brand-new "factory" refurb for "only" $1,300.00 and a refurbed M1 carbine for the same price. All his pistols were over $500.00, too. He also bragged about how he paid a distressed widow $400.00 for her late husband's 1915 Luger that had all matching parts and wood-bottomed magazines. Maybe we should all make a careful inventory of our guns with prices, so our wives don't get taken like this lady did. Thanks for all the input on the 1952 M-N. I'll wait for a better one--there's several larger gun stores in my area, just haven't had the time to get to them yet.

Shame to hear about a Luger like that.

It is Romanian.

Had a NICE Hungarian M44 once. Miss it now.