Default Where do you buy a crate of mosins????

I am thinking of buying a Crate of Mosin Nagants. You heard me right the crate with the rifles in it. I have a few questions that I am sure the nice folks on this forum could help me with.

How many come in a crate is it 20 or 40?

Who would you go to, to purchace said crate?

I have a call list of Aim ATI Samco Century.
    I have gotten some CIA imports that were dogs. Mostly Matching but Dogs.

Classic Arms (www.classicarms.us) sells by the crate, I believe. Their rifles tend to be nice, their prices are relatively low, and they offer free shipping on large purchases. If you're a dealer, you'll have to call to set up a dealer account.

I have bought from them (single rifles; not crates) and can recommend them. Their customer service has always been first rate in my experience.

Most good sellers will sell you a full crate. Classic mentioned above, AIM, if you get in touch with Century, they will probably do it for you too.

I would probably avoid trying to arrange such transaction with a distributors who only deal with dealers and have no experience dealing with customers who are not dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by ij70 View Post
    Most good sellers will sell you a full crate. Classic mentioned above, AIM, if you get in touch with Century, they will probably do it for you too.

I would probably avoid trying to arrange such transaction with a distributors who only deal with dealers and have no experience dealing with customers who are not dealers.
    I have My C&R 03 I hope most importers will respect it.

A crate has 20 in it. Go to any of our sponsors and ask them directly. I'm sure you'll find success.
    Owner/Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
    I have My C&R 03 Would they do the deal as a dealer or non dealer for me?
    I was thinking about Zanders, RSR and a couple of other distributors. They are really not interested in dealing with anybody who is not 01 FFL. At leas that is the impression I have. Nothing against them, I simply think that dealing with SOG, AIM, Classic, Cole's is much easier.

As an exercise in how to annoy my wife, and because I was genuinely curious, I called AIM to check up on the possibility of a crate-full and was informed that a) they didn't sell them by the crate, and b) even if they did, it would raise too many flags with the ATF (their words, not mine) to sell that kind of quantity to a C&R.

Anyone have any sucess elsewhere?

Addendum - I called classicarms.us, Centerfire, and rguns. Only rguns will sell by the crate, but no discounts until you hit 120 rifles. And truck freight starts at 400ish.
    Last edited by Hasso; 03-19-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasso View Post
    As an exercise in how to annoy my wife, and because I was genuinely curious, I called AIM to check up on the possibility of a crate-full and was informed that a) they didn't sell them by the crate, and b) even if they did, it would raise too many flags with the ATF (their words, not mine) to sell that kind of quantity to a C&R.

Anyone have any sucess elsewhere?

Addendum - I called classicarms.us, Centerfire, and rguns. Only rguns will sell by the crate, but no discounts until you hit 120 rifles. And truck freight starts at 400ish.

AIM was all about it. J and G, Classic were also good to go. ATI was a big no go. I was kind of pissed about it. I wanted to use a local company. I understand there no compete gaurenty to there distributers. But I dont want to spend $150 on a $80 rifle, and Ill be d@mn sure that I wont pay that much on 20 of em.

Clasic only had Laminated stock 91-30s. mostly ishys a few tulas and 1 or 2 EX Dragoons. I like em but I dont have the funds for that purchase.

Interesting, you're saying aim was willing/able to ship a crate. - who did you talk to?

Royal Tiger Imports sells them by the crate of 20 rifles for $59 each. Since Royal Tiger is part of Interordnance, you'll be supporting a site sponsor too.

Brian?????

Mike O Are these the nice reasenaled un shot barrels? round or Hex? Im on my way. Thanks!!!!!!

I live close to Tiger Mike, I'd be interested in going in on 3-5 guns if you're interested. If you purchased from out of state, that's no sales tax, and if I take local delivery, that's no shipping! Where do you live?

They are in deed $59/ea for 20, but I'd want to make sure it's an unopened crate!

It won't be unopened; they have to put importer marks on them to get them into the country.
    Geal ‘us dearg a suas!

Member since Gunboards v1.0

I mean that it's a legit random case, not the worst 20 of their inventory!

Here's another question, where do THEY buy the cases from???

Well, I/O has always been an importer, so I'm going to guess they get them inhouse.

Florida Mike,

It's great to have a C & R license. Have had one for several years. And your idea of buyin' a crate of Mosins might be within the law, except if you sold the the ten or twelve you didn't want in the first year or two after purchase. Should you get audited, not likely, but it can happen, the ATF could decide that you are dealin' and not sellin' a piece or two to improve the collection as allowed under the law. Not afraid of ATF, but if you stretch your C & R too far and they call you, there could be problems. Your call.

LB

Harrisburg PA gunshow had a guy selling crates. Hex rcvr PW Arms import stamped, lots of early 20-30's barrels on top. He wanted $1250.

greybeard, i checked those out yesterday. the sign on the crate said 1950. i was checking out the ex-dragoons in the top row, like the one in the back where the waxpaper folded over was a nice one
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'd rather be right than politically correct

Obama loves america like OJ loved Nicole

looking for PU scope #b07850,and PEM #b27948, i have its rifle, also looking for a 1896ish dated sestroryetsk barrel

check out the pics of my 1895 winchester russian contract rifle in 762x54 and All remington stamped mosin trainer with 03 bayonet lug, 1927 izhvesk dragoon , instructie 91/30 rifle and others in my albums

Why a C&R would wish to purchase a full case of Mosin Nagant rifles would raise some flags for me, certainly.

you are in FL. so,try ocala armory. they are in essence,aztec arms. an earlyish importer of 10K+ mosins.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancebear View Post
    Florida Mike,

It's great to have a C & R license. Have had one for several years. And your idea of buyin' a crate of Mosins might be within the law, except if you sold the the ten or twelve you didn't want in the first year or two after purchase. Should you get audited, not likely, but it can happen, the ATF could decide that you are dealin' and not sellin' a piece or two to improve the collection as allowed under the law. Not afraid of ATF, but if you stretch your C & R too far and they call you, there could be problems. Your call.

LB

This is my take on it. You are buying to improve your collection. If you are buying a crate to dig and pick through, that's the point. The C&R states you cannot sell for a profit. So as long as you are buying to pick through and find the good ones and you sell at the same cost you bought them, then you aren't doing anything outside what the license allows. That's my opinion on it. I'd be willing to hinge that as long as that was the legitimate reasoning and could be shown to the ATF if/when they dropped by, then they'd probably be understanding. It's not like you were buying a munch of mg's and selling them on the border to any nun or puppy dog walking down the street. Don't go showing the ATF that I told you to do it if you do it. But I wouldn't hesitate if I had the cash.

I would just be scared about the same thing mentioned above. That I buy from dealer X, and I get a crate full of what they decided they couldn't make a profit on.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    Here's another question, where do THEY buy the cases from???
    IO, Century, a couple of other places on and off.

I was at The Harrisburg, PA gunshow this weekend and there was a gentlemean selling MN rifles by the crate. He was asking $1950 for what looked like a crate of 20....crate included with bayonets and other stuff.

OK, anybody seen any importers or anybody else selling whole crates?

I remember that a guy on Cal Guns posted that he bought two crates of Mosins. I will have to look up the thread and see who the vendor was.
    Rudy N
    1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
    1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
    1935 Tula 91/30
    1943 Izhevsk 91/30
    1943 Tula 91/30
    1943 Tula M38
    1944 Izhevsk M44
    1944 VKT M39
    SIG M28
    1943 SA M1Garand
    1943 Remington 1903A3
    BYF44 K98
    Saginaw SG M1Carbine

I was offered a (empty) crate for free by the guy I bought my Izmash Saiga from. He imports them himself from Russia.
    I refused the crate. Bigger than a coffin and looked like at least 2 generations of Russian conscripts had each added a coat of paint. It ended up some kind of bright green color. Markings only on one side. No very nice at all.
    Brgds, A
    (BTW: that happened in Belgium)
    I'd rather have a bottle in frontame than a frontal lobotomy.
    --------------
    Author of the bestseller: "Strangling small furry animals for fun and profit." (University of Lagos/Nigeria press - 1978)

Honorary curator to the Outer-Azerbeidjan National Museum of Ancient Milkbottle Caps (OANMAMC).

we have literally given away countless hundreds of Mosin Nagant and Mauser crates. . . indeed we have never asked for or accepted payment for any of them. Many times we have simply set them by the curb and they disappear by morning.

The only problem is, because of their weight and mass, they cannot be shipped, but must be sent by truck (which is quite expensive).
    Dennis Kroh, ex-sponsor
    Gunboards Collector's forum
    (yes, we are still in business)

If I had the money, I would drive to R Guns and get a crate...full.
    Next SHOOT?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=11325

Join the Southern Wisconsin, Northern Illinois target shooters.