Gunboards Forums banner

Where do you buy a crate of mosins????

50K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  creepiE 
#1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Crate of Mosin Nagants. You heard me right the crate with the rifles in it. I have a few questions that I am sure the nice folks on this forum could help me with.

How many come in a crate is it 20 or 40?

Who would you go to, to purchace said crate?

I have a call list of Aim ATI Samco Century.
I have gotten some CIA imports that were dogs. Mostly Matching but Dogs.

#2 ·
Classic Arms (www.classicarms.us) sells by the crate, I believe. Their rifles tend to be nice, their prices are relatively low, and they offer free shipping on large purchases. If you're a dealer, you'll have to call to set up a dealer account.

I have bought from them (single rifles; not crates) and can recommend them. Their customer service has always been first rate in my experience.

#3 ·
Most good sellers will sell you a full crate. Classic mentioned above, AIM, if you get in touch with Century, they will probably do it for you too.

I would probably avoid trying to arrange such transaction with a distributors who only deal with dealers and have no experience dealing with customers who are not dealers.

#4 ·
Most good sellers will sell you a full crate. Classic mentioned above, AIM, if you get in touch with Century, they will probably do it for you too.

I would probably avoid trying to arrange such transaction with a distributors who only deal with dealers and have no experience dealing with customers who are not dealers.
I have My C&R 03 I hope most importers will respect it.

#5 ·
A crate has 20 in it. Go to any of our sponsors and ask them directly. I'm sure you'll find success.

#7 · (Edited)
As an exercise in how to annoy my wife, and because I was genuinely curious, I called AIM to check up on the possibility of a crate-full and was informed that a) they didn't sell them by the crate, and b) even if they did, it would raise too many flags with the ATF (their words, not mine) to sell that kind of quantity to a C&R.

Anyone have any sucess elsewhere?

Addendum - I called classicarms.us, Centerfire, and rguns. Only rguns will sell by the crate, but no discounts until you hit 120 rifles. And truck freight starts at 400ish.

#8 ·
AIM was all about it. J and G, Classic were also good to go. ATI was a big no go. I was kind of pissed about it. I wanted to use a local company. I understand there no compete gaurenty to there distributers. But I dont want to spend $150 on a $80 rifle, and Ill be d@mn sure that I wont pay that much on 20 of em.

Clasic only had Laminated stock 91-30s. mostly ishys a few tulas and 1 or 2 EX Dragoons. I like em but I dont have the funds for that purchase.

#10 ·
Royal Tiger Imports sells them by the crate of 20 rifles for $59 each. Since Royal Tiger is part of Interordnance, you'll be supporting a site sponsor too.

#13 ·
I live close to Tiger Mike, I'd be interested in going in on 3-5 guns if you're interested. If you purchased from out of state, that's no sales tax, and if I take local delivery, that's no shipping! Where do you live?

They are in deed $59/ea for 20, but I'd want to make sure it's an unopened crate!

#18 ·
Florida Mike,

It's great to have a C & R license. Have had one for several years. And your idea of buyin' a crate of Mosins might be within the law, except if you sold the the ten or twelve you didn't want in the first year or two after purchase. Should you get audited, not likely, but it can happen, the ATF could decide that you are dealin' and not sellin' a piece or two to improve the collection as allowed under the law. Not afraid of ATF, but if you stretch your C & R too far and they call you, there could be problems. Your call.

LB

#23 ·
This is my take on it. You are buying to improve your collection. If you are buying a crate to dig and pick through, that's the point. The C&R states you cannot sell for a profit. So as long as you are buying to pick through and find the good ones and you sell at the same cost you bought them, then you aren't doing anything outside what the license allows. That's my opinion on it. I'd be willing to hinge that as long as that was the legitimate reasoning and could be shown to the ATF if/when they dropped by, then they'd probably be understanding. It's not like you were buying a munch of mg's and selling them on the border to any nun or puppy dog walking down the street. Don't go showing the ATF that I told you to do it if you do it. But I wouldn't hesitate if I had the cash.

I would just be scared about the same thing mentioned above. That I buy from dealer X, and I get a crate full of what they decided they couldn't make a profit on.

#20 ·
greybeard, i checked those out yesterday. the sign on the crate said 1950. i was checking out the ex-dragoons in the top row, like the one in the back where the waxpaper folded over was a nice one

#27 ·
I remember that a guy on Cal Guns posted that he bought two crates of Mosins. I will have to look up the thread and see who the vendor was.

#28 ·
I was offered a (empty) crate for free by the guy I bought my Izmash Saiga from. He imports them himself from Russia.
I refused the crate. Bigger than a coffin and looked like at least 2 generations of Russian conscripts had each added a coat of paint. It ended up some kind of bright green color. Markings only on one side. No very nice at all.
Brgds, A
(BTW: that happened in Belgium)

#29 ·
we have literally given away countless hundreds of Mosin Nagant and Mauser crates. . . indeed we have never asked for or accepted payment for any of them. Many times we have simply set them by the curb and they disappear by morning.

The only problem is, because of their weight and mass, they cannot be shipped, but must be sent by truck (which is quite expensive).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.