Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,451

    Default winchester 296 powder load reccomendations

    i want to load up some 38 special P loads in 38 and 357 mag brass for 154 grain semi wadcutters. anybody have any pet loads for this magnum pistol powder for plinking loads??? I don't have my manual handy and will consult it before I load any up of course, but if somebody has an especially good load, I would appreciate their ideas. I happen to have a pound of this powder bought a few years ago, and as many of you know, nowdays you load what you have on hand as going to the store to get something else isn't a guarantee. It is getting better, we are starting to see more and more powder available at high prices here in alaska.
    also any 44 mag load recommendations for 240 grain cast bullets for 296?
    thanks
    gil

  2. #2

    Default

    296 is not a good powder for low velocity or cast bullets . It does not burn correctly loaded light . If you load it strong enough to work right it will be way to hot for cast bullets . I would use Bullseye , it is common and with a 4.0 for 38's and a 6.0 for 44's it will do alot of ammo . mag

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wild Wonderfull, WV
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    296 is not a good powder for low velocity or cast bullets . It does not burn correctly loaded light . If you load it strong enough to work right it will be way to hot for cast bullets . I would use Bullseye , it is common and with a 4.0 for 38's and a 6.0 for 44's it will do alot of ammo . mag
    I know "mag" and I don't always see eye to eye but he is spot on here. Win. 296 is one of the powders that can be dangerous when loaded "under" recommended charges. I have used it with HARD cast bullets with success but the loads were not light. As "mag" said a pound of Bullseye goes a long way.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,451

    Default

    Thanks guys!
    I posted this without the advantage of looking at my loadbooks! Please note that I mentioned the first thing I would do was look in the books. Just got an e-mail from leftist sister whom I have 'turned' into a Pistelero. She has really enjoyed shooting pistols, but intimidated by the short barrel 357 she is shooting so I need to hit the books and find a low power plinking load alternative.
    gil

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    Thanks guys!
    I posted this without the advantage of looking at my loadbooks! Please note that I mentioned the first thing I would do was look in the books. Just got an e-mail from leftist sister whom I have 'turned' into a Pistelero. She has really enjoyed shooting pistols, but intimidated by the short barrel 357 she is shooting so I need to hit the books and find a low power plinking load alternative.
    gil
    .38 Special is great for practice in a .357.
    -.- ....- - -.. --

    9 out of the 10 voices in my head told me to stay home and clean my guns today

  6. #6

    Default

    Low power plinking load for 38spl. 2.5gr. of either Trail Boss or Clays behind a 90gr. LRN bullet. A very mild load. About 2,800 shots out of a pound of powder. Save the 296 for what is was meant for.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern Sierras, above the snowline.
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    Some of my own favorite plinking loads are 148 grain wadcutters over Unique or 231 and 158 grain LSWC over 231, Unique or 2400 .
    I read your question about 296 last night so I looked through my notebooks. I don't even like 296 for full power magnum loads. It seems to produce too much flash and bang compared to other powders. I should show you the underside of the top strap on my GP-100. There is clear frame cutting from my experiments with 296 during my misspent youth.
    Жить стало лучше, товарищи. Жить стало веселее.
    Life has improved, comrades. Life has become more joyous!
    I.V.S, 1935

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wild Wonderfull, WV
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    Some of my own favorite plinking loads are 148 grain wadcutters over Unique or 231 and 158 grain SWC over 231, Unique or 2400 .
    I read your question about 296 last night so I looked through my notebooks. I don't even like 296 for full power magnum loads. It seems to produce too much flash and bang compared to other powders. I should show you the underside of the top strap on my GP-100. There is clear frame cutting from my experiments with 296 during my misspent youth.
    Like 24gr with a 110 HP ? I needed the xtra velocity for running deer shoots.
    ("running deer shoot") You shoot at a deer target that is moving on a wire. The normal lead with a .308 was about 16" you would shoot 3 rounds. The speed of 110 .357 load listed above actually made a little difference compared to a 158 at 1350 but the FLAME THROWING 110 load was a good show. I actually won a round or two with it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Eastern Sierras, above the snowline.
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    Yup I loaded up a bunch of 110's that way. They are very impressive when shot in the dark. Not just muzzle blast but from the cylinder as well!
    Жить стало лучше, товарищи. Жить стало веселее.
    Life has improved, comrades. Life has become more joyous!
    I.V.S, 1935

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wild Wonderfull, WV
    Posts
    2,389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Interloper View Post
    Yup I loaded up a bunch of 110's that way. They are very impressive when shot in the dark. Not just muzzle blast but from the cylinder as well!
    The funny thing is it was one of my best shooting loads too. (Ruger SS Security Six) I've since sold the Pistol mostly because of how easily it leaded up shooting cast bullets. Lead just loves sticking to that Ruger Stainless Steel. Replaced it with an old model
    Blackhawk with a 4.5" barrel. No more leading problems and the shorter barrel makes it a nice compact backup in the field.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •