Default Steyr Mannlicher

I always wanted one of these Steyr's and finally got one. I heard they stop making this model due to production cost back in 1972. A friend who collects Mannlicher told me the real story is that the factory had a major fire and after ramping up again Steyr decided not to make the Md1950 due to high cost. I have noticed on the internet their is a cult like following for theses rifles and their highly sought after. The action on this Steyr is the smoothest I have ever encountered on a bolt action rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2646.JPG   IMG_2643.JPG   IMG_2644.JPG  
    Last edited by Orcutt; 04-02-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Default Steyr Mannlicher

I always wanted one of these Steyr's and finally got one. I heard they stop making this model due to production cost back in 1972. A friend who collects Mannlicher told me the real story is that the factory had a major fire and after ramping up again Steyr decided not to make the Md1950 due to high cost. I have noticed on the internet their is a cult like following for theses rifles and their highly sought after. The action on this Steyr is the smoothest I have ever encountered on a bolt action rifle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2646.JPG   IMG_2643.JPG   IMG_2644.JPG  

what you have is not a Steyr Mannlicher but a real Mannlicher Schoenauer. Yes , its the real thing and yes, there is a cult about. you will better hold it!

thats how a steyr mannlicher looks

Looks like the cult has another member this one is a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Orcutt View Post
    Orcutt, There is a problem here. Your first photo appears to be of some sort of commercial style Mannlicher-Schoenauer, but the second and third photos are of a Persian M29/98 rifle, checkout the Farzi and the crest.

Also, someone gave you a bum steer on the development and demise of Mannlicher-Schoenauer production. The M1950 was followed by the M1950 Improved and M1952 models. Then came the Model MC-1956 and the MCA-1961. There are 18 variations in the 1950-1952 series as Steyr and Stoeger were trying to get their design right to compete with Winchester. The change over to the Steyr Sporter, called the Steyr-Mannlicher, was in 1968, with clean up MCA production continuing thru 1970-1971. Feuerwerker has provided some excellent photos of an early production Steyr-Mannlicher Model SL or L, (circa 1969-70) you can tell by the early version magazine release system at the front of the trigger guard. Steyr seems to put themselves out of business with each model they build by failing to control production costs. The S-M began costing $88.00 in 1968 (I still have one, a SL) and closed out at a whopping $2695.00 USD in 1996. That was poor cost control.
    LLS

Made correction to pictures.

Orcutt,
    Thanks for the new photos. Clear identification now of a post war M1950 Mannlicher-Schoenauer. This is the first of several variations of the M-S to be made after WWII. US general Mark Clark is to thank for the resumption of arms making, particularly the sporting arms, at Steyr, as he petitioned the Armistice Commssion to reopen the factory. The 6.5x54mm is one of the most sought after calibers in the M-S, and yours certainly appears to be in excellent condition. Although the 6.5 mm was made in the M1950 Improved, M1952, M1956, and M1961 variations, it matters little which one you have. The M1950 stands out as most of them retain the clip guides and straight bolt handle of the original M1903, items that were done away with in he 1951-1952 period as "improvements" in competition with the Winchester M-70. I have used 6.5mm Mannlichers as my deer rifles almost exclusively for the last 30 years.
    LLS