Gunboards Forums banner

Stevens 520-30

19K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom D 
#1 ·
I have a Stevens 520-30 serial number 60xxx curious if anyone here could tell me a little more about it. I cant find anywhere that gives info on serial number ranges. Any info would be much appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
HI Greezbe,
Your Stevens 520-30 was offered by Stevens throughout much of the nineteen thirties. It was the successor to the Model 520 and can be easily distinguished from the two step receiver top of that earlier model. Your model was succeeded by the Model 620 which joined the sloped receiver pattern common to almost all pump shotguns. The 520-30 was considred an inexpensive model and was also offered by Montgomery Wards and Sears. I own three of these guns in 12, 16 and 20 gauges. I find that they are actualy quite well built, finished and seem exemplary of good quality of wrokmanship in their era. While I'm not qualified to assess the engineering aspect. Each of mine function reliably and I like their aesthetics. I understand that some of these guns were assembled against existing spare parts stocks and furnished to the military in early WWII. By all appearances, your gun is a sporting model that has had the barrel cut and been fitted with the military style barrel shroud assembly. I,m unaware of any source of authoritative serial number information for these pieces.
I hope this general information helps
My take.

#5 ·
Iskra, I'm not sure why you think greezeb's 520 was a sporting model that has had the barrel cut down.

The serial number of his 520 is right in the known serial number range of the WW2 Military 520-30 trench guns. Also, it has the P proof marks and Ordnance bomb marks on the left side of the receiver and on the right rear side of the barrel just like the trench guns do. The Military riot guns and long barreled trainers have these marks on the same side.

IMO, it a real WW2 520-30 trench gun.

#6 ·
Tom D

You are right, this is a nice and desirable military firearm.

I have one similar to this (P and Flaming bomb) on the receiver but it has a long barrel.

Is there anyway to tell if it was a trainer or one of the short barreled guns someone put a 'hunting' barrel on after they were sold?

Were the marks only on the receiver? Anything on the barrel?

thanks,

#7 ·
greezeb

A great book on military shotguns used by the US is Bruce Canfield's UNITED STATES COMBAT SHOTGUNS.

It has several pages devoted to the model you have and is a very interesting book.

You might try to find a copy.

The Stevens is probably the most common trench gun model and less valuable than a M-97 or M-10 but is still a very desirable collectable.

Tom D is on target about your serial number.

Canfield reports numbers range from 38,000 to 70,000 with most WWII guns running from 40,000 to the 60,000's.

#8 ·
NY50/70, check to see if the serial number on the barrel matches the receiver. The number is located on the barrel head in the action bar slot. You have to remove the barrel assembly from the receiver to see it. If the numbers match, then it most likely is the original barrel.

Also check to see if there is a small P proof mark and small Ordnance flaming bomb mark on either side of the barrel head near the receiver.

And, can you give us an idea of your gun's serial number? Because the early made guns were marked differently than the later made ones.

#10 ·
Greezeb,

Does the barrel have the writting on the left side partialy under the heat shield or is it all beind the heat shield and the receiver? I have one that has been through the arsenal, parkerized and heat shield but the writting on the barrel is under the heat shield which means it was originaly a riot gun and not a trench guns. 520-30 trench guns used a barrel that had the writting slightly more to the rear so the heat shield did not cover it. If the writting is not covered it is a correct trenchgun barrel.

#15 ·
AFAIK. the bottom of the buttstock from the bottom of the pistol grip going back to the buttplate should be a straight line (no flare). Does the buttstock serial number match the gun? You have to remove the buttstock to see the number which is located in the tang slot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.