G41(W) images needed

Thread: G41(W) images needed

Default G41(W) images needed

Hi, my name is Rob Dion and I'm the lead weapon artist at Tripwire Interactive. We make 1st person shooter games for pc's. Our 1st game is called, Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 http://www.redorchestragame.com/. We are now in the process of making a sequel called Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, http://www.heroesofstalingrad.com/. In our 1st game, Ostfront 41-45, we did our best to provide authentic detail as much as possible with the technology we had available to us. Now, in our second game, Heroes of Stalingrad, the technology has improved drastically enabling us to render even more detail and authenticity than ever before. So, with that said, my problem is this, I cannot find sufficient reference of a G41(W) rifle. I have some reference but not enough to model the weapon very accurately. This site is amazing and the knowledge everyone brings to the table is impressive which is why I'm posting here. If anyone has a G41(W) and is willing to take some really nice pictures of it, everyone here at Tripwire would be greatly appreciative. There might even be a free copy of the game in it for ya when we release next year, and you'll be credited in the game.

Thx in advance for everyone's time,

Rob Dion

P.S. The image attached is an example of the level of detail that I strive to achieve in our games.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scar..jpg  

You can see some pics of mine here.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...43-A-Block-G41

if you need something in particular let me know, I can get anything you need.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

What images do you need?

Left side full? Right side full? Underside? Top full? Top with bolt open and closed?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the correct rifle would have to be a G41(W) Trial Rifle - those with the "G41(W)" stamped on the receiver. Not just "G41". All would have black polymer handguard - no brown ones then. Hardwood stocks - not laminate stocks. Most appropriate would be the very earliest with the push button bolt release on the left side of the stock, but those without probably just as good.

Level of detail needed? Might the images show the location of markings such as sns#?

Would love for your company to get the details correct. Tired of complaining about Marines carrying 1903A3 in The Pacific when they should have had 1903.

If I remember correctly my G41(W) Trial rifle pictured was made about mid 1942.

I'm sure with the collectors on here we can make sure no one will be able to complain about your G41(W).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1G41.01.JPG  
    Last edited by Tom-M; 04-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    "Would you die in your sleep like an ailing pet?" - Serenity

Thx for the quick responses guys. Basically I would need Front, Back, Left, Right, Top, Bottom shots. Also i would need open/closed bolt shots and shots inside the chamber. Close up detailed shots of the Iron Site area and receiver area would help greatly. I usually take nice close up shots all along the rifle on both sides also. Oh, and detailed magazine shots. I'll take whatever you guys can manage. Thanks again.

Rob

P.S. If you are in the Atlanta area and wouldn't mind bringing the rifle by the studio to photograph, we'd really appreciate it. While you're there, we can give you a little tour as well.
    Last edited by Dion; 04-06-2010 at 09:35 AM.

Dion,

I will see what I can do this week. PM me with an email address that I can send them to. I will use my wifes nice camera with a macro lens.

To TOM-M's point my rifle is an AC43 A block and not a G41 (W) trials rifle. The only differences would be the reciever marking which I am sure you can find online, and the bolt release on the stock. Both could be grafted onto the virtual rifle at anytime.

I will actually be moving to Atlanta in June and could bring the rifle by then, but I assume the pics would help in the mean time.

EDIT- I vote for a G41 (M) as well because they are a very cool rare rifle, but sadly I dont have one to photograph.

Quote Originally Posted by enfielded View Post
    I vote for a G41 (M) as well because they are a very cool rare rifle, but sadly I dont have one to photograph.
    Agreed, a G.41(M) would be pretty cool in a game like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MERIDIUS View Post
    Agreed, a G.41(M) would be pretty cool in a game like that.
    It would be nice to have both in game, but we had to choose between the two W vs M. We went with the (W) version because it wasn't as rare as the (M). I believe approx. 160k+ (W's) were made as opposed to 6-7k of the (M's).

I will be heading through Atlanta in 2-5 weeks but doubt you can wait that long.

Cant really post high resolution pics here. Could email 2-3 M high resolution pics if you have email setup to receive such in the next 2 days. Or mail you a CD cointaining said images.

Been thinking a bit more about what you need. Dont know what your knowledge level is on them?

Almost certainly a G41(W) Trial rifle. They have manufacturer code "ac" on the receiver as all made by Walther - the "duv" marked ones would be wrong. Hard wood stock - not a laminate. Black plastic handguard - not brown. Could have, or not have, the Bolt Release Button on the left side. Could, or could not, have the Scope Mount Rails on the Rear Sight Base. Every part is milled - no stamped parts then. Everything is sn#ed to the rifle.

Just to clarify, there were only around 7,000 G.41(W)'s produced for troop trials. There were actually more G.41(M)'s made (around 12,000). The Walther G.41 was the production version of the G.41(W) and was made in considerably larger numbers. The only real difference between the two are the markings on the receiver.

Alright TOM-M I will divert to you for the pics to not duplicate effort.

DION, if you choose to through in an interesting sidearm I have a German 9mm luger handgun collection included those produced in occupied countries. It would be cool to see a Radom, Hi power, ASTRA 600 in a game.

If possible it would still be cool to have a tour when I move to Atlanta.

Also not to pry too much, but is there a plan to include Soviet SVT 40's as well?

The whole thing comes down to the level of detail wanted. If markings are not visible - no real difference other than stock and handguard are quickly differentiated.

But as a hard core collector there are major differences in the number of parts sn#ed and where the parts are sn#ed.

Only the first 2500 or so had Push Buttom Bolt Releases. Dont believe any of these had the mounting brackets for a scope on the Rear Sight Base.

Then the next 5000 or so lacked the Bolt Release Button, but mostly had Scope Mounts.

I can give detail till your sick of it.

Enfielded - does your rifle have original sling on it? Front Sight Hood? Mine is lacking those - so I am sure he could use those pics at least from you. Doubt he could have enough pictures either.

Quote Originally Posted by MERIDIUS View Post
    Just to clarify, there were only around 7,000 G.41(W)'s produced for troop trials. There were actually more G.41(M)'s made (around 12,000). The Walther G.41 was the production version of the G.41(W) and was made in considerably larger numbers. The only real difference between the two are the markings on the receiver.
    The gun we are using is given as the "Selbstladegewehr Modell G 41 W" - the version that went into full production, not the trials/prototype version. Lidschun & Wollert give the production (Heereswaffenamt) figure as 121,630 but there does appear to be no definitive number. Other sources give 122,907 or even "between 40,000 and 145,000". Whichever, there are enough that made it to the front line to pass muster for us.

Main source is: "Infanteriewaffen" - Reiner Lidschun & Gunter Wollert. Also information from the German Army Museum in Koblenz.

And yes, the more pictures the better.

thx guys

Problem is the vast majority of G41(W) production was in 1943. Like 80%. Too late for Stalingrad.

Need to bone up on my Stalingrad history, but believe the battle was faught from like June/July 42 to the beginning of Feb. 43. A lot of the end time was spent with the Germans blockaded by the Soviets.

The rifle in my collection, sn# 7004, was from the 2nd production contract of G41(W)s, and a little extrapulation places it manufacture about June/July 1942.

Now consider that when something is made - does'nt mean it gets into a soldiers hands that day. It sits in a few warehouse, and in Germany during WWII it waited for an available place in a train's car. It is very conceivable that it would take months to be issued to a German soldier on the Eastern Front.

Give you another example - during the Korean War the US started production of M1 Garands again for the war. Started building M1D Sniper rifles too. Even though this was done more than a year before the cease fire - historians almost unanimously agree that none made it to combat in Korea,

Just tried to add a little historical accuracy to the issue. Probably never was a issue since it would only matter in very high detail images.

Will leave this to the other volunteers to work on.

Onslaught has a few nice color pics of the G41 (W) in use during the battle. Very good pic from the tractor factory. If you don't have this book, you should. Very good pictorial history of the battle from the German standpoint. I have 2 early production W's (one walnut and one in laminate) and an M if you need pics.

Tom, I do have a original sight hood cleaning rod, and nice repro sling. From what is requested I can snap all the pics too and they can use what they want.

Mine is a 2XX A block so it has the scope rails and was built in early 43. Walther only made about 20k of the production G41's, the balance was from DUV.

I really doubt that serial numbering will be modeled, and quite honestly I dont think I have ever noticed anu distinct markinging on a video game rifle.

The side bolt release might impact how the animation is done for a reload whether you include it or not.

While I agree G41's where not likely numerous in Stalingrad, it is just a game, and the casual gamer wont know or care, and will just appreciate a semi auto rifle over a bolt action.

Honestly when I pull out my G41 or G43's most self proclaimed WW2 buffs have never heard or seen one.

Dion,

Sent a bunch of high res pics, let me know if you need more.

Quote Originally Posted by enfielded View Post

Also not to pry too much, but is there a plan to include Soviet SVT 40's as well?
    The original game has Svt-40s in it so I bet this one does also. I will add that firing the Svt-40 in the game is very similar to firing mine in real life except the one in the game is all original and matching where mine is a refurb . This is a very good and fun game , I think anyone who collects ww2 items would enjoy it.

Lightbulb

Hi, I'm 'DeadlyDad' Olson, and I'm...well...pretty much everywhere, helping folks as I can. I thought that I'd offer my aid in terms of links to sites on photographing and scanning real-world objects for inclusion in computer/console games, like this one, this one, and this one. If you are interested in this kind of stuff, just send me an email and I'll see what I can do for you.

If you haven't read Darren Weaver's Hitler's Garands, you might look at it for additional information about the G41, G43, and SVT 40 and their use on the Eastern Front. Plus the book is filled with fascinating details about development, production, and use of the rifles. It also has a number of WW 2 Eastern Front pictures, all kinds of statistics, and reprints of all kinds of minutiae. You can find the book at most web sites that sale books. Well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-M View Post
    Only the first 2500 or so had Push Buttom Bolt Releases. Dont believe any of these had the mounting brackets for a scope on the Rear Sight Base. Then the next 5000 or so lacked the Bolt Release Button, but mostly had Scope Mounts.
    I would like to differ with your numbers. My G41(W) in the 488X's serial number range does have the bolt release button on the left side of the stock. There is no letter associated with the serial number so mine is from the first first batch of G41's made by Walther. Also it does not have the scope mount on the rear sight base.
    Bill

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again!

Why is it that 46% of the population which pay NO taxes, complain that those who do pay taxes, are not paying their fair share?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoy99 View Post
    I would like to differ with your numbers. My G41(W) in the 488X's serial number range does have the bolt release button on the left side of the stock. There is no letter associated with the serial number so mine is from the first first batch of G41's made by Walther. Also it does not have the scope mount on the rear sight base.
    You are correct. Should have researched a little more before posting. Only "button" rifles I have seen were sn#ed less than 2500, but in checking my copy of "Hitler's Garand" I see the highest sn# reported is #5459. Would need to check further to see if any rifles under that sn# did not have buttons.

How about posting pics of your rifle???? Aleays wanted to see photos of one that early disassembled and in detail.