Thread: Chinese Pinned Barrel SKS vs. Chinese Threaded Barrel SKS

Default Chinese Pinned Barrel SKS vs. Chinese Threaded Barrel SKS

Other than that what are the differences? From what I understand the wooden stocks don't interchange but the "jungle stock" does? Is there any real accuracy & just general quality difference? Should I look at it the same way as milled-threaded AK vs. stamped-pinned AK? I have the option to get a nice/like new Factory 636 SKS & the guy said it was a pinned barrel. Ive probably had 15 different SKS rifles but they were all Russian, Yugo or Arsenal 26 Chinese, never a pinned barrel. Thanks for all you guys input, Norinco
    Call it...........

The most accurate Chinese SKS I ever owned had a pinned barrel. Other than that, can't help much .................

In my Chinese SKS's I prefer pinned barrels, I too find them more accurate. The threaded and pin barrel SKS's take different stock whether wood or the red fiberglass.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

I've a "militia-build" carbine with a pipe that is both pinned AND threaded into its receiver, so it must be the most tight shooting rifle of the type ever made !!!

Yeah, I wish. Unfortunately, its rear leaf sight is non-standard.

Finding a substitute for this part (for a Type 63 Automatic Rifle ???) has been a low priority and so the girl is a safe queen.

Buy a pinned barreled Type 56 Carbine with confidence, Norinco.

I guess Im gonna trade my VKT M39 for it, nobody wants to buy the M39. Also I guess a nice example of the SKS would be at least as accurate as the average M39 & alot more practical in a scrap.
    Call it...........

When speaking of accuracy with an SKS (much of this is ammo choice and optics/open sight choice dependent), one is talking about a very accurate 2-3 MOA versus the average 4-6 MOA. Match grade they are not.

My most accurate is a threaded barrel /26\ Paratrooper at under 2MOA, followed by two pinned barrel under 3MOA, then the 25 or so others that I shoot following somewhere thereafter up to 8MOA.

So, pinned versus threaded? Toss up.

Best one I have seen was a pinned barrel Paratrooper, it would shoot about 1 MOA. It flipped us out, must be the short barrels on those things with less whip. My AMD-65 will outshoot RPKs at close range too with the 12" pipe.
    Call it...........

the prevailing wisdom used to be that threaded was better than pinned. I don't hear that so much anymore.

it,s alot like the pre-64,s and post-64,s winchester model 70,s. i have both and they both shoot,but the pre-64,s are built better or so they seem to me. eastbank.

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    In my Chinese SKS's I prefer pinned barrels, I too find them more accurate. The threaded and pin barrel SKS's take different stock whether wood or the red fiberglass.
    A large batch of the SKS para carbines recently turned up here from China,I brought one and it has the pinned barrel but the stock's are actually cut for the threaded version,so obviously the Chinese are quite happy to use either stock for the pinned barrel versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony C. View Post
    the prevailing wisdom used to be that threaded was better than pinned. I don't hear that so much anymore.
    I can can tell no difference accuracy/ performance wise between threaded or pinned trunnion Chinese SKS's in general, shooting at the range...Of course I have never tried a comparison using a machine rest, either...Might be interesting to try. Word used to be (like old wives tales) that the threaded trunnion rifles were more accurate- but if so, I havent noticed.
    Locatian: BFE Montana.

The most accurate I have is a threaded barrel. 1964 Chinese Security Force issue.

I have two Public Security Force rifles that both perform equally well. The top is a pinned barrel, the bottom is an earlier threaded barrel version.