Lightbulb Production dates for No.5 MK1 Jungle carbine

I have and Enfield .303 No.5 MK1 "Jungle Carbine" serial T5xx that I have been unable to find any production dates for. I know the 5's were made until a short time after the war. Is there any registry for serial numbers, or any other method of dating when this rifle was made?

Blu Max

Here is a serial list. http://home.earthlink.net/~smithkaia...lists/id5.html

Here is a brief history of the Jungle Carbine. As you can see, they were in use during WWII. http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/ri12.htm

Beware of fakes.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

I'll check the book later. But for now I'm pretty sure you dont' have a real #5MK1. None I have ever seen or heard of have T for prefix. Only #4MK1 have had Ts.

Post some pictures of your receiver and lightening cuts on the knox form (barrel).

You can purchase books by Skennerton or Stratton, both have all the S/Ns and series of rifles, with dates of mfgr.

That may be the reason you can't find any info. on your rifle. Also if it has "Jungle carbine" stamped on it. It is for sure a fake.

The #5MK1 is probably the most copied rifle, EVER. Lots of fakes out there. If you are interested I can post links that give full details on fakes and types of fakes you may see.

The date range will be between 44 and 47 with a few exceptions, that are a real can of worms and not relevant to this inquiry.

Does it look something like this - if it does then unfortunately have a problem - these are Khyber Pass (home made) copies and are not safe to shoot. The last batch seem to have been importrd by TG International and sold on Gunbroker.

ROF Faz had single letters and AA as assigned serial numbers for the No5. Need a photo to be certain if it's a legit rifle or a Khyber Pass special.

Quote Originally Posted by madcratebuilder View Post
    ROF Faz had single letters and AA as assigned serial numbers for the No5. Need a photo to be certain if it's a legit rifle or a Khyber Pass special.
    I'd make that several photos.
    Damn the expense, use your turn signals today... and as a special favour, try doing it before you have two wheels in the next lane.

I checked Skennerton's book on #5MK1s.

Faz. did indeed have a T prefix T 1 through 9999.

NO double letters, only one T.

I don't recall EVER seeing one, but it is documented.

If possible take off the front handguard and post pictures of barrel, receiver and other relevant items.

I just checked my e mails.

There is a heads up among collectors of #5MK1s. A batch of TGI Kyber pass rifles have hit the market and gun auction sites.

Some dirt bags are pushing Kyber rifles off as the real deal.

These rifles could be unsafe to shoot.

It would seem that there is a shipment of Kyber Pass made No5's being sold as shooters. These are most likely not safe to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
    It would seem that there is a shipment of Kyber Pass made No5's being sold as shooters. These are most likely not safe to fire.
    Those are the ones that I mention above (and posted the pictures of)

wink2

Quote Originally Posted by Alan De Enfield View Post
    Those are the ones that I mention above (and posted the pictures of)
    No, any collector can see the ones in your pic are not the heads up variant
    Last edited by Son; 04-13-2010 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RH7777 View Post
    I checked Skennerton's book on #5MK1s.

Faz. did indeed have a T prefix T 1 through 9999.

NO double letters, only one T.

I don't recall EVER seeing one, but it is documented.

If possible take off the front handguard and post pictures of barrel, receiver and other relevant items.

No double letters with a T, but several double letter sets starting with A. On-line data bases with serial numbers supplied by owners show double letter sets well past the AA listed in some of the publications.

The Khyber Pass fakes I have seen are very obvious do to the workmanship. It's the No4's that have been converted that can fool some with less LE experience.

-FAZ single letters thru AA [were assigned] actually thru AC in 1947 end of production oct-nov ,

the left receiver wall should show no5 mkI ROF(F) and date [10/47] on mine

-BSA BB thu BM [were assigned]

the left reciever wall should have no5 mkI and
    the left butt socket ring should have the serial and M47C and the date