Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Ok I give up. I have tried pounding on that front sight to drift it a hair to the right... no luck yet. Similar results using C clamps and bench vices. Is mine just really tight? Has anyone had success yet?
    The good news is, the front sight ass'y must be built like a tank. You'd never guess that I'd been taking a sledgehammer to a punch on it.

You know the handle of the cleaning rod is also a front sight adjustment tool? One end slips over the front post and turned to adjust elevation and the other end is a punch to tap on to adjust the windage.
    The key to adjusting windage with the punch is to make sure the front sight assy. is solidly supported so full force is transmitted to the sight drum when you tap on it.
    Tokarev half cock notch: It was good enough for Russia, China, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia... It's good enough for me!

If the front sight is supported properly while you're attempting to move it (as PolishRon suggested), I'd try heating the front sight with a small butane torch immediately prior to trying to move it. One of the guys on here was attempting to build a sight press, don't know if he was successful...

It was mentioned on here about controverting to 9mm,will the magazines work with 9mm?? does anyone know if a Gunsmith that would do a conversion? Mine came in, had it on layaway and made the mistake of not keeping with the ammo situation!!!!! and now No Cheap surplus ammo, should have bought that 1st. Now it is going to cost more to shoot, with only commercial ammo available which no one here has in stock. I have to order it. Kinda wish now I had not bought this thing and went with another Draco or a Sterling. Sorry but it is frustrating have a gun you cannot shoot. Plus the price on them has dropped.

Easy to convert to 9mm. All you would need is a barrel and one from the KP44 should be close enough to work with little modification if any. Making one from a 9mm blank would be easy as well if you went that way. All you would need is a little lathe time. Mags will work with 9mm as will the bolt.
    Centerfire currently has KP44 parts kits with barrel for $69. Keep the barrel and sell the rest and you will have a barrel for cheap. Might need the recoil spring if the power difference between the calibers is to great. (the spring might be stronger on the pps43 and the bolt might not fully cycle with the lower power 9mm in which case you would need to use the lighter spring in the KP44 kit)

(edit to add that I just loaded some 9mm in a magazine and hand cycled the action, all fed and ejected without any problems)
    Tokarev half cock notch: It was good enough for Russia, China, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Yugoslavia... It's good enough for me!

Quote Originally Posted by budliteguy View Post
    It was mentioned on here about controverting to 9mm,will the magazines work with 9mm?? does anyone know if a Gunsmith that would do a conversion? Mine came in, had it on layaway and made the mistake of not keeping with the ammo situation!!!!! and now No Cheap surplus ammo, should have bought that 1st. Now it is going to cost more to shoot, with only commercial ammo available which no one here has in stock. I have to order it. Kinda wish now I had not bought this thing and went with another Draco or a Sterling. Sorry but it is frustrating have a gun you cannot shoot. Plus the price on them has dropped.
    Yes very easy, swap the barrel and be careful loading the original mags... Same as a Tokarev pistol. I keep a PPS-43 parts kit, for the extra mags and I clipped a few loops off the recoil spring (one at a time) till it cycled well. Really easy to do and give you 2 calibers in one gun. 7.62x25mm casings can be made from used up .223 or 5.56mm NATO brass, so if you reload and have a cheap/free source for those...

Will the collapsible stock portion of the KP44 kit fit the PPS43C for a SBR conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by joel6180 View Post
    Will the collapsible stock portion of the KP44 kit fit the PPS43C for a SBR conversion?
    Not without a lot of work, easier to get a PPS43 parts kit for the spare mags and parts for that.

Default PPS43-C Need firing pin picture

Broke the tip of the firing pin. Lost the broken tip. I need a picture of a semi firing pin so I can see about making another one since I.O. doesn't have any replacements in stock.

My two PPS-43C parts kits finally shipped from Sportsmens guide after 3 months of backorder.........still waiting on the Form 1....anyone done the SBR on one of these yet?

Not yet, but that's the plan. I have a kit on backorder also. Good to hear they are starting to ship.

I have the pistol and the parts kit. Paperwork is done... fingerprint cards are on order, CLEO said just drop everything off when its ready. I've heard you can put your photo on the paperwork digitally, but id rather go the safe route and get photos made at a photo center. Hope to send off next week.

To those who've gotten the Sportsman's Guide kit: what did you find was the best source for a barrel? Gunbroker? Once you got the barrel, how easy was it to put the whole thing together?

There are a few around, depending on your end game, so to speak. For a rifle version, I get mine here. He has 15 in stock as I type this.
    http://www.buymilsurp.com/pps-43-bar...k-p-40065.html

The rest of it is not very hard at all. I used AK parts for most of one of mine.

Default PPS43-C Form 1

Sent my Form 1 in month ago. Welds were on the outside. Cut the welds and removed the stock. Waiting for approval to finish. I will use a stock from one of my parts kits.

Quote Originally Posted by sswikinger View Post
    Sent my Form 1 in month ago. Welds were on the outside. Cut the welds and removed the stock. Waiting for approval to finish. I will use a stock from one of my parts kits.
    IF you cut the welds and have the stock and no form & tax stamp back yet, PLEASE be very careful as you fall into that constructive intend loophole... Specially since you do have the intent, it would be easier for them to prove, by sending the form in.

Hypothetically, without widening the Pushbutton hole, is it still constructive intent? Even parts kit stock will not work in an unmodified receiver.

If you sent in the form-1 then there is no "intent" to do anything illegal.

Hi all,

I have a pps43 from IO that seems to work fine with Norinco ammo but constantly has stoppages with the Polish surplus. I decided to remove the firing pin and discovered it's a two piece affair...question - is it supposd to be? The longer section I removed from the rear of the bolt. The "front" end of this firing pin "half" section is smooth, flat, and appears made that way.
    Any input is appreciated. I'm thinking of shimming the trigger group as suggested above.
    Thanks, Smak

got my parts kit today from sportsman guide ,looking at it makes me want to try and build one from it.now i can see that i just need to drill out the hole for the push button to make the stock work .now to send in the paper work.

Smak, I had the rear section of the pin assembly out of mine last week because the end of it was mushrooming a tiny bit and hanging up in the hole at the end of the bolt. I used an emery board to take enough off the end of the pin so it would function properly. After 300 - 400 rounds, I didn't think that should happen, but I noticed the hammer face was uneven, so I smoothed it out as well. I haven't fired it since then, but I was having trouble with the polish ammo in it, and in my cz52, but no problems with the polish in my yugo m57. I think the rear section of the pin wasn't striking the front part of the firing pin with enough force to fire the round. I'm new to all this, but maybe proper alignment of the hammer and the rear pin could be a solution. Joel

Quote Originally Posted by PolishRon View Post
    Until the paperwork is approved, there IS intent.

Quote Originally Posted by PolishRon View Post
    No, there isn't IF that is the only thing done, add that to cutting the welds and having the parts, that would just need to be installed could. The form just shows he does intend to make a SBR, the parts and modifications show he could do it before the form is approved (if approved, tho I know no one that it isn't in time)

Quote Originally Posted by tonapc View Post
    Hypothetically, without widening the Pushbutton hole, is it still constructive intent? Even parts kit stock will not work in an unmodified receiver.
    Making the receiver whole bigger and having the parts to do it could be "intent" The one that I had that was welded had a full size receiver whole for the button, so if the weld got cut, it would make the stock work. IF yours was welded AND has the smaller receiver whole, you should be fine.

Default intent

"Until the paperwork is approved, there IS intent."
    As long as a folding stock is not installed prior to approval, I feel it is still a "pistol", and not illegal. If approval is denied, then, as long as I don't add a stock, it shouldn't be a problem. They've already approved me for various Class 3 weapons and silencers. BTW, the PPS43 isn't at my residence where I have the parts kit and the stocks. And besides, the ATF is too busy sending AKs to Mexican drug cartels.

Quote Originally Posted by sswikinger View Post
    "Until the paperwork is approved, there IS intent."
    As long as a folding stock is not installed prior to approval, I feel it is still a "pistol", and not illegal. If approval is denied, then, as long as I don't add a stock, it shouldn't be a problem. They've already approved me for various Class 3 weapons and silencers. BTW, the PPS43 isn't at my residence where I have the parts kit and the stocks. And besides, the ATF is too busy sending AKs to Mexican drug cartels.
    No, not really correct. Yes the form shows intent, BUT alone is nothing to worry about. BUT making the modification, even if not installed, can create a legal issue if they really wanted to. Same as having the parts & plans for a full auto MG with a more then 80% receiver on hand. I agree the BATF&E is "busy" sending guns south of the border and covering it up as much as possible while black lining most documents about it for Congress when they want info on it. I'd bet someone with the MG stuff would be more likely to have the issue, not so much someone with a stocked pistol. But that said, don't mean they couldn't make it an un-pleasant issue for you or anyone else, specially with this current administration.

hey Swikinger, you can get an ar-15 firing pin instead, that's what I have along with a heavier bolt. there's a guy I know over on another site populated with kit builders...guild,

Thanks for the input Joel. The polish works great in my M57 as well. I do like the firearm and also want to SBR it once I get it functioning reliably.
    Smak

I guess I'm just an over cautious puss----rather than splitting hairs on regulations, terminology, and interpretation, I'm an old, patient fart that'll wait till the paperwork goes through before I begin modifications. Obviously, everyone can proceed at their own discretion, and admit or not on a public forum what they've accomplished. Cash is a little tight for me right now, but I sure plan on making that stock work in the future. Does anyone know the "average" wait time on a SBR permit? I've got a CCW permit, and a C-n-R, so background etc. should be clean.

Quote Originally Posted by shumbo View Post
    Does anyone know the "average" wait time on a SBR permit?
    I can only go by what my last form 1 took for my SAIGA 12 SBS, from when I mailed it off (mid Nov. last year) to when I got it back took 102 days.

I mailed off the form 1 to SBR my PPS43 in mid april, so I figure I should have it back sometime in Aug.

just have to be patient, and don't dwell on it, and it will come.

Default AR15 & heavier bolt

Bounce, Are you saying an AR15 firing pin will take the place of the I.O. 2 piece firing pin and fit in their bolt without modification? Heavier bolt?

My PPS-43 was sent back to I.O. over two months ago and is STILL waiting to be fixed. I call Patty every week and she is as decent as she can be but explains that there is only one guy to work on them and he is backlogged. Apparently more than one of the original batch was sent back. Mine was a DISASTER with Romanian and Polish ammo. FTF, FTE, spent rounds ending up INSIDE the receiver, you name it. I got three rounds to fire in sequence at best. Tried all four mags and had about an 85% failure rate. I got aggravated and ordered another one today from Centerfire in the hopes that I can get a good one running and start on my SBR and maybe just get something else from I.O. Then after I ordered it I thought about it and called back to ask what importer they got them from...of course....I.O. I hope this second one isnt as bad as the first.

I.O. DID honor my order for two kits that I placed online the day they ran out of PPS43 kits at $69. They sent them last week after a three month wait and they included the 4 mags. Now their kits are up to $78 "ON SALE" but they only have one mag. Questionable.

Kindest Regards, Stonewall 06

Luck of the draw I guess. I am glad to hear some of you guys are having good luck with them.

that's a bummer stonewall06---nothing more frustrating than a semi-auto that doesn't work, especially when half the allure is the "go fast" capabilities. Hang in there, I did hear that the original batch had problems, as noted earlier in this thread--hopefully, you'll get all the updates, and she'll run like a demon---good luck!

Yes, the 1st batch from IO where not good at all. Same with the carbine ones from MGS, tho they have a differant set of issues and no real answer for it. They will not run well on any of the surplus ammo and it voids the warranty if you use surplus ammo in them.

Mine came from the second batch.
    Took it out for the first time last week. Put over 300 rounds of Polish surplus ammo through it fresh out of a sealed tin. Ran perfect with all 4 mags. No failures of any kind. Fed perfect, all rounds fired just as they should and extracted and ejected all the empties. Was quite accurate as well. Did a lot of full mag dumps, firing as fast as my finger could work the trigger. The empties went high and far, lots of power on ejection. What a blast! More fun than an AK. Only drawback I could see is I wish I could unfold the stock.

I did not encounter any of the issues with the Polish ammo that others have reported. All the rounds seemed to have the same power. I also took out a Yugo M57 and a Romanian Tokarev and they both ate the Polish ammo with relish. Once again, no malfunctions with either pistol. I also brought out some Yugo ammo to test the difference and the Yugo ammo felt like it had less power and it was dirtier than the Polish. For what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by smak49 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a pps43 from IO that seems to work fine with Norinco ammo but constantly has stoppages with the Polish surplus. I decided to remove the firing pin and discovered it's a two piece affair...question - is it supposd to be? The longer section I removed from the rear of the bolt. The "front" end of this firing pin "half" section is smooth, flat, and appears made that way.
    Any input is appreciated. I'm thinking of shimming the trigger group as suggested above.
    Thanks, Smak
    this procedure of shimming the trigger group recommended by jcnez worked great with one of my weapons.still have to try the other one as I noticed the rear piece of the firing pin was hanging up so I am still waiting to try it out.just slowly took down the part of the rear edge that was causing the hangup(wasnt backing out all the way) with an emery board with this second weapon. am definitely getting another FP set from IO though.... I went from having 1 out 5 malfunctions with the polish ammo to 1 in 300.

just got back from trying from trying out the second 43c I own ;which was malfunctioning even with new commercial- and it ran flawless(even rapid fire) with commercial but still struggles a little with Polish surplus.am less than 1/64th shim so will put on a slightly thicker shim next time..got the sucker shoooting pretty accurately though as I took a spare front sight off a parts kit(was just using a screw).I knew I was going to enjoy messing around with these pistols and they haven't disappointed.

Glad everything worked out.....yes these things are a hoot. Hope when more surplus finally rolls in that its not too ridiculously priced.

Received my parts kit from Sportsman's Guide and brought it to the gunsmith that is fixing the folding stock (Yes, I have the Government stamp!) He told me that the receiver and bolt in the kit were for full auto!
    This can't be true, can it?
    I think he just does not know!

everything in the kit is for full auto---except the reciever, which you don't get--(except for a nub that has the stock on it, and a nub that has the rear sight on it) The missing part IS the reciever

Quote Originally Posted by Hudson Hornet View Post
    Received my parts kit from Sportsman's Guide and brought it to the gunsmith that is fixing the folding stock (Yes, I have the Government stamp!) He told me that the receiver and bolt in the kit were for full auto!
    This can't be true, can it?
    I think he just does not know!
    It is true, the receiver parts (your missing 2) are from the original open bold FA only PPS-43 as are all the other parts you get. The bolt can't drop into the SA receiver because of the denial "dimple" in the SA receiver. The FA parts can be modified to SA, that's what they did in making the SA PPS43c that IO carries (imported as a pistol to avoid 922 issues) or the MDS carbine, made/modified, state side. Still a nice deal for some extra parts and 4 mag's even if you don't make a useable gun from them.

a friend has one, and the first time he shot it, he put only yugo surp out of it. 200 rounds. No failures. The second time, with me, I got 3 light primer hits in 1 35 rd mag. Reloaded, and they went OFF! They obviously did not need much coersion to go off the second time.....The modern commercial went off great, no hitches, seemed a bit lighter in recoil. Overall, I think he's happy with it. Oh, the leather recoil buffer was dead after just the first 200 rounds. And I think he put some rounds out of it before switching the buffer out.....I hope he did not damage it.

I picked up my second one today while my other remains at Royal Tiger getting fixed. AFTER I took it apart to clean all the lube off of it, I found the little note inside saying "this is an improved version of the gun...yadda yadda....do NOT remove the recoil assembly from the bolt or the bolt will have to be disassembled and put back together by removing the roll pin etc etc". The fun continues...so now I have an improved version but it can't be field stripped as designed due to the firing pin engineering for the fix. I am going to try to "reset" the bolt assembly tonight so that I can see if it really is an improved version. The hammer DOES look beefier, I will say that, so maybe that is a start.

So anyway, if you guys get the "improved version"...do NOT remove the spring assembly from the bolt assembly as you would normally do or you will have to remove the roll pin and reset the firing pin and spring and such.

If only they made a 35 round mag for my Yugo M57, I would send both of these junkers back and buy four more pistols...I NEVER have trouble with my Toks!

Regards, Stonewall 06

Bounce,
    Thanks for idea of using a AR15 pin to use in my PPS43-C.
    Cut one to size, and it seems to work great. Appreciate your feedback to my post.

PS- your private message folder is full.

sswikinger

Could someone post a picture of the FCG in there Royal Tiger pistol assembled in Poland. I am very interested in how they are making everything fit.

Thanks, Smokepole50

Quote Originally Posted by Smokepole50 View Post
    Could someone post a picture of the FCG in there Royal Tiger pistol assembled in Poland. I am very interested in how they are making everything fit.

Thanks, Smokepole50
    The Royal Tiger ones are the same ones that IO imports. I'd like to see this new set-up that don't like you pulling the bold and recoil spring apart...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast