Default Execution for treason.

There is a thread on the K-98 board that turned ugly but appears to be getting back on track, the question (in the thread) is now about execution for treason.

Did the US, in WWII, execute anyone for treason? I know about Slovnik but that was for desertion.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Rooinek View Post
    There is a thread on the K-98 board that turned ugly but appears to be getting back on track, the question (in the thread) is now about execution for treason.

Did the US, in WWII, execute anyone for treason? I know about Slovnik but that was for desertion.
    Eddie SLOVIK - shot for desertion. Only deserter executed by the US since the Civil War per most sources. Also the last military execution by firing squad in the US service - and it was a botched job.

I can't recall ever seeing any account of traitors in the US being tried and executed during WWII, but there may have been one or more. I;ll see what i can turn up.

I could tell a story about Eddie Slovik's execution, and perhaps will at some point. A bit embarrassing to me as it demonstrates a rather foolish and thoughtless action by yours truly.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

While not treason, Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for spying in the early '50s.
    Fine Print:
    The preceeding opinion should be considered only as an opinion and not legal advice. In no event will the poster, Unbekannt, be held liable to any party for any damages arising in any way out of the availability, use, reliance on or inability to use poster's opinion or any information provided by or through the poster, or for any claim attributable to errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in, or destructive properties of any information provided by or through the poster.

The only listed execution is: Herbert Hans Haupt German-born naturalized U.S. citizen, in 1942 was convicted of treason and executed for giving aid and comfort to the enemy (his son) and for espionage. There were several other covictions, but this is the only listed execution.
    "The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all."
    John F. Kennedy

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
    is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    Thomas Jefferson

Beat me to it. That's the only one I found, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Petro_58 View Post
    The only listed execution is: Herbert Hans Haupt German-born naturalized U.S. citizen, in 1942 was convicted of treason and executed for giving aid and comfort to the enemy (his son) and for espionage. There were several other covictions, but this is the only listed execution.
    A team of German infltrators were picked up on a beach in New Jersey in civilian clothes. I heard that they were shot for espionage too.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/terrorists/gadahn_a.htm

TREASON - 18 U.S.C. 2381; PROVIDING MATERIAL SUPPORT TO AL QAEDA - 18 U.S.C. 2339B; AIDING AND ABBETTING - 18 U.S.C. 2
    ADAM YAHIYE GADAHN

Aliases:Abu Suhayb Al-Amriki, Abu Suhail Al-Amriki, Abu Suhayb, Yihya Majadin Adams, Adam Pearlman, Yayah, Azzam the American, Azzam Al-Amriki
    DESCRIPTION

Date of Birth Used: September 1, 1978Hair:BrownPlace of Birth:United StatesEyes:HazelHeight:5'11"Sex:MaleWeight:210 poundsComplexion:LightBuild:MediumCitizenship:United StatesLanguages:Arabic, EnglishScars and Marks:Gadahn has scars on his chest and right forearm.Remarks:None
    CAUTION

Adam Yahiye Gadahn was indicted in the Central District of California for treason and material support to Al Qaeda. The charges are related to Gadahn's alleged involvement in a number of terrorist activities, including providing aid and comfort to Al Qaeda and services for Al Qaeda.
    REWARD

The Rewards For Justice Program, United States Department of State, is offering a reward of up to $1 million for information leading to the arrest of Adam Yahiye Gadahn.

SHOULD BE CONSIDERED ARMED AND DANGEROUS
    IF YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS PERSON, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR LOCAL FBI OFFICE OR THE NEAREST AMERICAN EMBASSY OR CONSULATE.

This is the terrorist from Orange county. He is famous for his English language videos which contain all kinds of threats against the USA. That makes him a traitor...

And it could be, if we take him alive, that he will be tried for and executed for treason. But - I won't hold my breath waiting.

Espionage (spying) a different than treason and can be committed by a person of any nationality, though one act that could constitute treason would be one of espionge, committed by an American citizen acting for an enemy. It is to be noted that you really don't want to be tried by Court Martial or Military Commission for spying IN WARTIME - there is only one penalty: Mandatory death penalty. The only offense with that provision as far as i know.

Article III, Section 3, US Constitution:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court. The Congress shall have power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Arguably, Jane Fonda might not have committed treason back during the Vietnam War days, though I'd like to see her indicted and tried even now. She certainly gave aid and comfort to our enemies, but she might slide by on a claim "I never ADHERED to them...". It is generally easier to prove an act of some criminal nature (as - espionage for the Rosenbergs) than treason, because there is that one less element required.