Default Shotgun / Rifle variants - Cape , Drilling , Combination and Double Guns

Hi and thanks for visiting this chapter in the Gunboards library. Due to my passion and love for these arms, and continued searching for an unfound dedicated information database elsewhere from a BBS perspective, I decided to dedicate time to building a community focused on these fine European and American Arms. I can't do it myself as my knowledge base goes only so far. I am hoping that others that share the same passion will join, post, share and comment.

Thanks again for visiting and sharing any information you have.

Kevin
    Last edited by Finn Collector; 12-11-2007 at 09:14 PM.

Default IMMAN MEFFERT , Carl Stiegele , Munchen Drilling

Here is an interesting piece. I have not completely researched this arm as of yet as I have only had it in my possession for a week. Yes, believe it or not, I found it at a local gun store that specializes in Class 3 and assault weapons. The guy really wanted it out of his shop.... :-) .

So here is what I know, IMMAN MEFFERT , SUHL is imprinted on the barrel. The center rib is also marked Carl Stiegele, Munchen , OBERLAND. Horn trigger guard and buttplate There are two serial numbers on the receiver; 65XXX and 15XXX. Not sure I cannot find a date under the barrel but I am certain without a doubt this is pre-war but I am guessing approximate date in the late 20 or early 30s??

After some quick googling, I found the following information from the following URL:

http://www.stiegele-jagd.de/home/history_e.html
    __________________________________________________ __________________________
    The company Stiegele Jagd has been founded in 1837 by Carl Stiegele in Munich. During the 19th century, Stiegele manufactured high-quality hunting weapons for the Bavarian royal house and the higher ranks of the German nobility. In Munich, Stiegele ran a shop in Maximilianstrasse as well as a production of hunting weapons and ammunition. The company became rifle manufacturer for the Bavarian royal court. As noted personalities as Prince Regent Luitpold of Bavaria and the author Ludwig Thoma counted among it's clients. The company reached worldwide importance far beyond the gates of Munich with it's Feuerstutzenrifles and it's 4mm-Sport-Rifles-Stiegele-Patent.

The production of high-quality hunting weapons in Munich was maintained in third generation until 1927 by Carl Stiegele (Jnr.). His excessive lifestyle lead to the sale of the company in 1927. Stiegele Jagd became the property of RWS. Stiegele had an outstandingly good projectile production and was therefore of very high importance for the ammunition manufacturer RWS. When, after the end of World War II, the production and the sale of weapons were allowed again, Stiegele was taken over by Victor Brandl senior. In the middle of the 60s, Victor Brandl senior became famous far beyond the limits of Munich with the production of an over-and-under double rifle for deer with freefloating barrels. The further development of this rifle is still produced as model K 80 by the company Krieghoff.

The weapon business Stiegele Jagd had finally been taken over at the beginning of the 80s by Victor Brandl (Jnr.). At the end of the 80s, the company moved from Maximilianstrasse to the actual location in Pfarrstrasse 8. In the middle of the 80s already, Victor Brandl (Jnr.) started with auctions of luxury hunting weapons in addition to the sale of weapons. Today - nearly 20 years later - the Munich auctions on hunting weapons became a recognized institution in Europe and the world. Since 2003, Dr. Thomas Aschenbrenner is responsible together with Victor Brandl (Jnr.) for the success of the company. This ensures the future preservation of the good name and the tradition of Stiegele for the coming decades.

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Needless to say, I am proud to own this 16 x 16 x 7x57r . I cannot wait to take it out.

***Question for the board is what exactly should the scope mount look like? I have seen these bases before and they appear to be ~ 14.5mm or 15mm in width. All thoughts here are greatly welcome.

***An interested party emailed me and asked if the receiver was aluminum? I just checked with a magnet and it sticks so the answer is no. Interesting enough though, IMMAN MEFFERT I found was a key gun maker in SUHL. From what I have been told, he was the first gunmaker to introduce aluminum receivers into gunmanufacturing.

***Another interested individual emailed me to check for a manufacture date. The only semblance of a date or number under the barrel is 140. If this is the date of January 1940, then the excerpt above from Carl Stiegele would not make sense unless he bought arms from the guild and relabled them under the Carl Stielgele brand or store? Not enough information on this yet to make a hypothesis.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IM WHOLE.jpg   IM CS.jpg   IM RECEIVER.jpg   IM SCOPE.jpg  
    Last edited by Finn Collector; 12-11-2007 at 11:13 PM.

Default Sempert & Krieghoff Waldschutz Drilling

Here is a basic drilling made in June of 1932. Nothing special but an overall excellent quality forresters arm. Interesting though that the barrels are only 21.5" long. This is the third S & K that I have seen so far. The other two were of much higher grade due to the engraving, side plates, side cocker and other features.

I also learned my lesson once again as I had a pre-war Neptun S&K in my hands for a song of a price (without scope though) and I decided to sleep on it. Well I woke up and found that someone else slept on it too and beat me to the shot... yes, it was gone.

What I learned from the Krieghoff factory existing today is that all the pre-war records were destroyed by the occupying forces (Soviets) and they have no records (so their email was stated to me). Some easy research on Google showed on some accounts Krieghoff built high grade drillings for certain high ranking members of the Axis in hopes they would favor their Luger contract. To what extent this is true, well who knows. I do know that a S & K drilling with the initials AH sold a few years on ago on Gunbroker for "I THINK" $200K or so?

Anyway, I love this piece for quail, chuckar and sometimes I will shoot a round of skeet with it for fun (does REAL well). My favorite ammo is the Gamebore 16 2 1/2 which has less then 8000 PSI. Its a great field load. While up in the Dakota's earlier this year with my dad hunting pheasant, I spotted a coyote about 150 yds away. Did not have time to mount the Hensoldt scope as it was in it's case on my side so I took aim with the iron sites and took it down. The S&B 8x57JR did the trick. First coyote for me. I have the entire hide at the taxidermist being set for a wallmount.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whole.jpg   waldschutz.jpg   SandK.jpg   KRREC.jpg   butt.jpg  
    Last edited by Finn Collector; 12-10-2007 at 11:48 PM.

Kevin
    Nice one......check this out, it's on the GGCA site

R022 - Imman. Meffert -Suhl – Trade Mark Hubertus, catalog reprint, 39 pages in German showing various models and model numbers.$22.00

Good catch, yes I should get this at the next GGCA event. I will ask Dietrich to bring one to the Maryland gun show in March.
    Last edited by Finn Collector; 12-13-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Default Cheapo double rifles!

Not English, German or French, but my doubles just the same!

My two drillings. The hammerless is a Three Barrel Gun Company in 12x12x32-40. The second is a side lever J.P. Sauer in 12x12x32 Win Special. I hope to add a cape gun as soon as I can find a good deal on one.
    Last edited by jimminardi; 02-03-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Kevin, The gun on the pictures looks just like my Krieghoff 16x16x8x57JS, I have been searching for Information about the gun but the answers are the same from Krieghoff as mentioned here, no records survived the war. The Diffrence from your gun is that mine has an red Trigger protection instead of Black, what material is your mine seems to be plastic and the the receiver is aluminum.
    Last edited by Krieghoff; 08-03-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Thumbs up jamminardi

the three barrel gun company was made in my neck of the woods correct ? WVa. :D<><dk
    Last edited by DK PHILLIPS; 08-03-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krieghoff View Post
    Kevin, The gun on the pictures looks just like my Krieghoff 16x16x8x57JS, I have been searching for Information about the gun but the answers are the same from Krieghoff as mentioned here, no records survived the war. The Diffrence from your gun is that mine has an red Trigger protection instead of Black, what material is your mine seems to be plastic and the the receiver is aluminum.
    Hey,

My trigger guard is made of horn as many were. Great in the cold weather.

My father has a three barrel Imman Meffert (12 gauges with .303), with hammers it looks just like the one on the right above.
    What is a Cape Gun?