smile WW2 P38, Serial Number ?Matching?

Been shopping for a WW2 P38 to replace one stolen several years ago, and this one on an auction site caught my attention. However, upon close scrutiny, my untrained eye focused on the apparently two different fonts used for the slide's serial numbers and the frame's serial numbers (lower image, below). Also, the stamping on the slide actually looks 'fresh,' showing relatively recently displaced steel. What do you think's going on here? (Interesting that it has been up for bids for more than a week, starting at $645, and no bids to date.)

StraightShooter

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1481/vietnamcampaignribbon4bsi0.jpg

The different font's, I'm not sure of, but the slide numbers have a hand stamped look. The "7" is tilted, and the line of numbers doesn't look even to me.
    Could be just crappy war-time "workmanship".
    Check the numbers on the barrel and the locking block.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    The different font's, I'm not sure of, but the slide numbers have a hand stamped look. The "7" is tilted, and the line of numbers doesn't look even to me.
    Could be just crappy war-time "workmanship".
    Check the numbers on the barrel and the locking block.
    Kind of a "what you see is what you get" situation. WW2 P-38's have mostly been through a lot of hands.

Question, did the wartime ones have serial numbers on more than the frame? Part of the reason for the P38 was the extensive hand-fitting rerquired to get the P-08 to work, and I have heard that Walthers presentation to the army was that all the parts fit and no matching was needed. My 1962 Aluminum frame model has no numbers except the frame, and I bought that new then and it hasn't been out of my hands, but there is no reason to think that was typical of wartime.

That is hand stamped but id 4 digits enough to bw a serial number? some agency stamped for their purposes

Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Kind of a "what you see is what you get" situation. WW2 P-38's have mostly been through a lot of hands.

Question, did the wartime ones have serial numbers on more than the frame? Part of the reason for the P38 was the extensive hand-fitting rerquired to get the P-08 to work, and I have heard that Walthers presentation to the army was that all the parts fit and no matching was needed. My 1962 Aluminum frame model has no numbers except the frame, and I bought that new then and it hasn't been out of my hands, but there is no reason to think that was typical of wartime.

That is hand stamped but id 4 digits enough to bw a serial number? some agency stamped for their purposes
    Serial number on:
    Frame
    Slide
    Barrel
    Locking block

For $645 up I think I would stay clear of that one.

PAshutr3
    Looking for Samco/CAI scopeless Yugo PU bolt KX5017

I'd vote for a slide # scrub, leaving the 'n' suffix in place,,though very,very weak. Then replace with the matching ser#.

It looks like the slide number was cut thru any blueing ,,and not placed there before blueing. I think the number was cut with a pantogragh outfit.
    A couple of coats of rust blue will bring the color up fine in that area and then wear it back to match the use pattern of the surrounding surfaces.

Just my .02
    Last edited by ktr; 04-20-2010 at 02:33 PM.

cyq = Spreework Spandau GMBH -- I believe these guns at that factory were built by forced labor I think its original.
    I (just for fun went to Cabela's web site the other nite) they have a bunch of P38s that you may be able to compare it with, If I recall correctly there was a cyq for sale
    If Guns Make People Kill, Then Pencils Misspell Words, Cars Make Poeple Drive Drunk, And Spoons And Forks Make People Fat !

Self Defense Is The Most Basic Human Right.

I'd bet money that the slide has been renumbered. By who and when, No idea, But NOT done at the factory!
    Even if it was original that is about $200 over priced for a cyq.
    Sarge
    Calling Illegal Aliens Undocumented residents is like call Drug Dealers Unlicensed Pharmacists!
    LIFEMEMBER: NRA, VFW, DAV, SFA, SOA, 281AHC Assoc & CAF

That is not typical of cyq factory serial numbering. Even in late war examples, the numbering isnt that crude. Oh, any original P-38 cyq or not, is worth at least $600. I would buy all the original matching P-38s I could at $465.