Gunboards Forums banner

Value of Hitler Youth Knife

28K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  msharleydude 
#1 ·
A guy at work has a Hitler Youth Knife thats been in his family as long as he can remember. It is in very nice condition except for a small chip out of the handle on one side. The handle still has the red and white emblum with the Natzi cross in the handle. The scabbard is also very nice . I think I can get it for 400.00 is it worth that. He wants 500.00 after looking on the internet at prices. I really don't collect German stuff but thought I might ought to get this if the price is right. What do you think?

#3 ·
value

HJ knife should typically run $250-$400 depending on condition and maker. A Chip would probably knock $100 off the price as well as blade condition. Has it been sharpened, dinged, etc. One thing to look for is if the emblem is tightly mounted to the grip. If it has a springy give to it, it most likely is original. If tightly affixed, then most likely post war. A good rule of thumb would be $200-$300 and then you probably would be ok if it is in fact original. Take some good detailed pics and post and we can tell you!

#4 ·
I think price way too high! A $400 HJ knife would have to be an early etched "Blut Und Ehre", pre 1938, and in mint condition. These are hardly rare, they made "Thousands." At the last MAX show, run of the mill, used, sharpend could be had for less than $200, and the only one I saw over $400 was a really nice etched blade Bone handle. I would have to see it up close before I would cough up that kind of money, and I wouldn't own one that was chipped! Too hard to sell later. Check out some of the auction sites that specialize in German militaria. Sorry to sound so negative, but, don't want to see you spend your money on something that appears to be "Sentimental Value" priced - Skid

#5 ·
I think price way too high! A $400 HJ knife would have to be an early etched "Blut Und Ehre", pre 1938, and in mint condition. These are hardly rare, they made "Thousands." At the last MAX show, run of the mill, used, sharpend could be had for less than $200, and the only one I saw over $400 was a really nice etched blade Bone handle. I would have to see it up close before I would cough up that kind of money, and I wouldn't own one that was chipped! Too hard to sell later. Check out some of the auction sites that specialize in German militaria. Sorry to sound so negative, but, don't want to see you spend your money on something that appears to be "Sentimental Value" priced - Skid
Spot on!

Scott

#6 ·
A truly mint HJ with motto can run upwards to 800.00 1000.00. But prices drop very fast for flaws, more than a typical dagger. Being youth daggers mint examples are hardly even worth talking about as they are not seen. I still value these in the low range stated above, but with guys asking prices on them that are inflated, they sit and people see them and associate the asking price with reality. Its not.

K

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.